• Advertisement
AFV

Selling music and SFX packs to asset stores - Possible Business?

Hello,

I've uploaded a music pack (and planning to upload more things in the next months) to asset stores: Unity, UE4, Scirra, GameDevMarket.

Since I only uploaded a music pack, I'm not 100% if this can be a succesful business, meaning that I can make at least... 500€ every month from sales on asset stores.

So, the main question is, are developers really trusting this websites to buy music and sound for their games? or they get the audio files from other places?

I suppose that the main target of this stores, regarding music & SFX, is developers that are starting, indie developers, indie companies... and a lot of times, this listed here collaborate with a composer for bespoke music directly.

What are your thoughts? Have you sold music assets or SFX assets to this stores? what is your experience?

Thanks^^

Advertisement
2 hours ago, AFV said:

What are your thoughts? Have you sold music assets or SFX assets to this stores? what is your experience?

No, I haven't sold any music or SFX assets at a store.

However I did try it with 3D assets and can say it is as profitable as you work to make it. You have to really work at it, 8 - 12 hours a day, to earn a living that way. I know a few people who do and they are happy to do so.

I also know a lot of artist, my self included, who only sell very few assets because we earn much more by working professionally as artists.

2 hours ago, AFV said:

meaning that I can make at least... 500€ every month from sales on asset stores.

By the time you earn 500 EU, you will be worth two to four times that to a developer.

If the sound market is as saturated as rumor says then you will be earning a maybe fifth or sixth of what you could as a hired professional.

If you don't like working for a boss, this is a OK way to earn a living; just remember that it is still a lot of work.

Edited by Scouting Ninja

On 20/12/2017 at 1:16 AM, Scouting Ninja said:

No, I haven't sold any music or SFX assets at a store.

However I did try it with 3D assets and can say it is as profitable as you work to make it. You have to really work at it, 8 - 12 hours a day, to earn a living that way. I know a few people who do and they are happy to do so.

I also know a lot of artist, my self included, who only sell very few assets because we earn much more by working professionally as artists.

By the time you earn 500 EU, you will be worth two to four times that to a developer.

If the sound market is as saturated as rumor says then you will be earning a maybe fifth or sixth of what you could as a hired professional.

If you don't like working for a boss, this is a OK way to earn a living; just remember that it is still a lot of work.

Thanks for your experience! ;)

Also, my question was also to know if there are people actually buying these music & SFX assets. I can work 8-12 hours a day creating content, but if there's not a lot of customers, I prefer to spend that time working professionally as I have done till now.

16 hours ago, AFV said:

are people actually buying these music & SFX assets. I can work 8-12 hours a day creating content

For actual sales figures you can check the Unity asset store. It's one of the leading asset markets and it does show sales in the form of reviews. On my own assets in the store everyone who made a purchase reviewed it; I assume it's similar for most sellers.

This should give you a rough idea of how much sales what assets get. It's really low.

16 hours ago, AFV said:

I prefer to spend that time working professionally as I have done till now.

Then you probably spend a lot of time learning and keeping up to date with the sound industry.

What I do is that if one of my daily practices turns out very well, I will finish it and upload it to the asset store. This way I don't loose money from having to make assets all the time and gain money for my practice work. I also sell work that other clients cancel on, this is what works for me.

On 2/12/2018 at 7:35 AM, wowsoundsg said:

Hi, here's our thoughts on selling music and SFX in the game asset stores! We started selling game audio assets in Feb 2016 so it has been close to two years!

Here's the link to the blog post (it's pretty long): https://wowsound.com.sg/game-asset-store-profitable-business/

We hope it helps! :)

Indeed it does!

Great summary, thank you @wowsoundsg

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Advertisement
  • Advertisement
  • Popular Tags

• Similar Content

• By Catalin Danciu
      Hello,
      In the hopes that my thread is not off-topic or offensive in any way, I dare to ask the following "noob" question:
      what would be the correct way to create sprite animations from 2D *.bmp files?
      I have for reference the 2001 game  Desperados:Wanted Dead or Alive.
      with the help of some tools i found , I was able to extract files containing what seems to be animation frames and frame shadow masks for animating a horse.
      Attached are the archived assets.
      My goal is to recreate the demo level of the game using Unity, for educational purposes.
      I have started by loading the background map layer (also a large bmp file), and next step is to load a 2d character object and animate on the perspective.

Horse_Brown.rar
    • By JoAndRoPo
      While going through a Game Design Document Template, I came across this heading - Core Game Loop & Core Mechanics Loop. 
      What's the difference? Can you provide some examples of an existing game?  Suppose if I am including these topics in a Game Design Document, how should I explain it so that my team can understand? 
    • By HomeBrewArcana
      Hey All,
      I'm looking to get into the gaming industry. I've skirted around the idea for a long time, always thinking that I couldn't do it. I've finally decided to take the plunge.

My question is whether it's worth going to school for game design/coding etc. I've been writing content for paper games for a while, and have a good idea of story and some basic design. But I have next to no technical know how. 

My instinct is that such things can be learned with a lot of practice, video tutorials, and more practice. I've also heard that a degree is not really that important, since you get hired based on your portfolio/prototypes. Why not just make the games?
      But won't a degree help with contacts and mentoring--I'm not a great networker.

Of course, it'll plunge me into more debt, but...
      If anyone has advice, let me know. Also any idea of a program to start with: Game Maker, Unity, Godot, Construct, Stencyl--I've heard good things about them all, so much so that I don't know which would be best to start with!

Thanks
    • By zminusone
      Over ninety minutes of solemn gloom and Gothic epicness, with faint glimmers of hope shimmering here and there...
      https://zminusone.bandcamp.com/album/unworthy-ost
      Hi, I just released the soundtrack to the new indie game Unworthy. I had fun making it and thought maybe some people around here would have fun listening to it!
      Cheers!
    • By Liquifire
      I'm making an small 2D engine using Kha and I have a timer class, which basically simply either waits a certain amount of time to call a function, or repeatedly calls a certain function after every x seconds. I simply want to know if I should have timers run on different threads. I'm aware that makes sense, but I might use many timers in a game for example, would that still be okay? Also I'm currently writing an animation components, which waits every x seconds to draw another image using the timer class. And in a normal 2D games, I would have many objects with animations on them, other than the other timers. So I just wanted to ask people who have more experience and knowledge than I have what I should do for timers: Either leave them on the same main thread, or make them run on different threads. Thanks in advance.
    • By CpawsMusic
      **The game must be in the final stages of development and be close to release. Willing to do SFX or Music for free since Horror games heavily interest me.**
      Hey there! My name is Cpaws and I compose music, sound effects and overall sound design for video games and film. I've worked on numerous games and I'm looking to specifically pick up a Horror game.
      If you're interested in working together, don't hesitate to contact me at cpawsmusic@gmail.com
      Here's a few demo reels of my past projects: 
      Game Music I've Composed: https://soundcloud.com/cpawsmusic/sets/cpaws-video-game-film-music
      Website/Portfolio: https://CpawsMusic.com/
      E-mail: cpawsmusic@gmail.com
    • By nihitori
      This is the official Sales topic for the acclaimed Colossal Game Music Collection (100+ five-star ratings on the Unity Asset Store) and its Lite version, the Essential Game Music Collection.

Updates will be made here every time a sale is taking place on either the Unity Asset Store or the Unreal Engine Marketplace.

Current Sales:

Summer Sale on the Unreal Engine Marketplace -

- Colossal Game Music Collection at 60% OFF - https://www.unrealengine.com/marketplace/colossal-game-music-collection

Please feel free to post here any questions you might have about either the sales or the collection itself.
    • By WillderBeezy
      This is a rescore of several Sin scenes from Final Fantasy X, put into an epic cinematic with accompanying, original soundtrack!

• By Developer Dre Reid
      Hello fellow game devs I am seeking some answers to a somewhat simple question. Now I always thought that when a dev was going to work on a new game to publish he/she should keep some aspects secret infill time to release then he/she can give out needed information pertaining to the game to the public as a marketing tactic. However I had a discussion with other game devs who stated that my way was somewhat not right and the only reason I had such thoughts was due to me being a smaller indie dev who was afraid of having my idea stolen. 
      Therefore I would honestly like to know if my way was right or were the other devs correct. If I were to start working on a new game and give out information about it online via social media would I be risking my idea being stolen and it being made faster and better by another developer or team of developers. Am...Am I paranoid??? 
    • By Aaron Marsden
      Hey everyone! 
      My name is Aaron and I’m a writer, gamer, and marketer/campaign manager for PowerSpike, a startup in the Twitch space. For the past two years, I’ve had the opportunity to build and run professional Twitch influencer marketing programs for some great brands (a few clients include Soylent, Camp Mobile, CreativeLabs, and more). 
      I’ve been obsessed with Twitch as both an entertainment and marketing platform since 2014. Before entering the world of marketing, I was a broadcaster and a content creator myself and made YouTube videos in my spare time. 
      Recently many game developers have shown interest in collaborating with Twitch streamers to promote their games -- and I think I can help! 
      I’ve learned so much about entertainment and community development from studying the growth of popular streamers since then, and my current position has allowed me to learn an incredible amount about the process of promoting a product/game/service’s message to a large audience with the help of Twitch streamers. 
      I’d love to share what I’ve learned with anyone who has questions. Ask me anything! 

If you’d like, you can follow me on Medium at https://medium.com/@aaronmarsden -- that's where I'll be posting both personal and PowerSpike articles on game dev marketing. I also just released my first article, "The Ultimate Guide for Promoting Your Game with Twitch Influencers," here on GameDev.net! You can check it out here:
      Thanks everyone!
  • Advertisement
  • Popular Now

• Forum Statistics

• Total Topics
    • Total Posts

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

Participate in the game development conversation and more when you create an account on GameDev.net!

Sign me up!