• Advertisement
Phodex Games

You biggest difficulties with game development?

Hi Gamedevs,

I am intensively doing game development for more than two years now and I have met a lot of people having trouble getting started and especially with coding. 

I really would like to come up with something, helping those of you having difficulties and getting started with game development and coding (especially if you are doing it on your own or with a small team), to later be able to set reasonable goals and achieve those goals. I exactly know how frustrating it can be, because I went to the same painful process. Therefore I quickly created a google survey, to be able to suit the content to your needs. If you have a tiny bit of time and would like to see content related to this topic, I would be happy if you would participate :).

Have a nice day!

Markus from Phodex [My introduction thread]

-> To the survey <-

Edited by Phodex Games

Advertisement

As much as I appreciate your intentions, I do believe that posting surveys in the beginner's development forum probably isn't the best place to do so.  I'd recommend sharing it in the lounge instead, but this is a call for the moderators to make.

Welcome btw,

Shogun

Just now, blueshogun96 said:

I do believe that posting surveys in the beginner's development forum probably isn't the best place to do so.  I'd recommend sharing it in the lounge instead,

Ok, than I am sorry. I tried to find the right spot for this thread and thought the beginner forums would be the perfect place to go ^^. I was wrong. I can't delete my own threads can I? If so I can move this post on my own.

I've never been able to knowingly delete my own threads, but a moderator can take the appropriate action.  You can either wait for them to respond, or report your own thread asking them to move it to the appropriate place(s).

Shogun

This is going to sound really snarky, but one of my biggest problems with game development is tutorials written by people who've only been doing game development for a year or two. They often tend to recommend bad solutions to problems, because although the author has shown sufficient tenacity to overcome common hurdles, they usually do not yet understand the consequences of choosing the approaches that they did, and will recommend their approaches with a degree of overconfidence.

I think the best thing someone in your position can do to help people is not to write articles or tutorials, but hang out on forums and answer questions.

On 28.12.2017 at 9:06 AM, Kylotan said:

but one of my biggest problems with game development is tutorials written by people who've only been doing game development for a year or two. They often tend to recommend bad solutions to problems, because although the author has shown sufficient tenacity to overcome common hurdles, they usually do not yet understand the consequences of choosing the approaches that they did, and will recommend their approaches with a degree of overconfidence.

Hi @Kylotan, I really appreciate your objection and its important for me. Actually you are true, when you read my post it really seams a little overconfident, to offer full game development education, as a pseudo professional :D. I think I haven't correctly expressed myself.

My intention is not to deeply go into game development, explaining the technical and design related ins and outs, so don't worry. I much more want to point beginners into the right direction, giving them the information or forward them to the tools or material they need to get started. (by the way I edited my main post, to prevent misconceptions) Furthermore you don't exactly know how my content will look like. For example, I already can see that many people struggle with, staying motivated, much more than with the actual game development and this is a topic I have some good tips, methods and workflows to share, which will help to overcome this. By the way I am not yet sure, what my content will look like, thats the reason, I ask before I create anything, so nothing bad can happen haha :).

Last but not least, you haven't seen anything from me and also don't know me or my work yet, so why not just wait and make yourself a picture,, when I came up with something :).

Anyways, thank you for the objection, was a good one!

Edited by Phodex Games

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!