I Need An Older Open World Engine

Started by
39 comments, last by Scouting Ninja 6 years, 1 month ago
9 hours ago, Scouting Ninja said:

http://irrlicht.sourceforge.net/

More than enough to make a morrowind clone. It is only the render engine part but has everything you need for morrowind.

Uses C++ works well with other libraries. It's code only but easy to make a editor for.

https://www.panda3d.org/

Uses Python, a very easy to learn language, is a bit old but has everything you need. Can do more out of the box than Irrlicht and actually beats Unity in performance; just doesn't have all the bells and whistles.

It's code only.

Most of the engines that can run on old computers will be code only, that is why they don't have a problem running on old devices; as you don't need a resource heavy editor.

Yea me too, but Unity does a lot of the work for you and even if it's a hateful engine it will still allow you to do more than the smaller engines.

The reason it's the most common engine is because it's the easiest to use; using a other engine will give you much more pains to deal with.

i have a question about python is it similar to java or c++? but thank's this might what i'm looking for i must have skipped infinisearch's post by mistake or i just forget he suggested it.

But offtopic i feel that unreal engine has a better setup then unity does and has a lot more of a community and helping community (no offense to unity fans it's just my opinion)

Advertisement
4 minutes ago, Dusty Cane said:

i have a question about python is it similar to java or c++?

Yes but much easier, it's like the slang language of of programming.

5 minutes ago, Dusty Cane said:

But offtopic i feel that unreal engine has a better setup then unity does and has a lot more of a community and helping community (no offense to unity fans it's just my opinion)

In my personal opinion the Unreal community consist of more experienced people, this is a double edge sword, as they can help really well but often don't have the time to explain every details.

With the Unity community you get a lot more people who want to help you, however often they can only point you to the Unity store as a way to solve a problem.

I find the gamedev community to be more useful but at the same time because everyone is busy professionals responses can be slow.

17 hours ago, Scouting Ninja said:

I mostly use it for small browser based games, the kind you see on game websites.

You can make browser games with Irrlicht?  How does that work...?  Did you have to make a custom renderer?

17 hours ago, Scouting Ninja said:

It's still a very active part of many custom engines and a good light weight choice.

Well I learned about Coppercube from the irredit page, what other engines use Irrlicht as its core?

-potential energy is easily made kinetic-

14 hours ago, Infinisearch said:

You can make browser games with Irrlicht?  How does that work...?

Irrlicht with WebGL, if it isn't part of the default download then I must have downloaded it somewhere; I know I didn't make it myself. 

14 hours ago, Infinisearch said:

what other engines use Irrlicht as its core?

Lots of custom engines made by hobby developers and small studios, these developers often don't want to use engines like Unity and Unreal so they make there own using Irrlicht and Bullet or Irrlicht and Newton Game Dynamics.

1 hour ago, Scouting Ninja said:

Irrlicht with WebGL, if it isn't part of the default download then I must have downloaded it somewhere; I know I didn't make it myself. 

Well I did a search because I was curious and found CopperLicht... was that it?  I was gonna ask you about how to get C++ to javascript but I guess its all bundled up in CopperLicht.  Unless you code in javascript directly?

I know this might sound stupid but as an experienced Irrlicht developer, can you give a summary of your thoughts on the engine and its pros and cons?

-potential energy is easily made kinetic-

On 1/5/2018 at 10:44 PM, Scouting Ninja said:

Yes but much easier, it's like the slang language of of programming.

In my personal opinion the Unreal community consist of more experienced people, this is a double edge sword, as they can help really well but often don't have the time to explain every details.

With the Unity community you get a lot more people who want to help you, however often they can only point you to the Unity store as a way to solve a problem.

I find the gamedev community to be more useful but at the same time because everyone is busy professionals responses can be slow.

i find the gamedev community a lot more helpful too

11 hours ago, Infinisearch said:

CopperLicht... was that it?

That looks like the one, haven't been home yet so I couldn't check.

11 hours ago, Infinisearch said:

as an experienced Irrlicht developer, can you give a summary of your thoughts

Not really that experienced, it's just as my first engine I still like using it even if I know Unity and Unreal is a hundred times better.

My thoughts is this:

If your making a small game or a very unique game that other engines just isn't made for, Irrlicht is a great choice.

The best and the worst thing about Irrlicht is that it is as good as you are. Because it's just a very basic render engine you can use your own skill and knowledge to drive it. That also means that if your a new developer you won't be able to do much without constant practice and research.

You don't have the large overhead you get from larger game engines, because you don't have all that 3rd party tools and you will use most of what is provided.

My first game with Irrlicht I spend two days manually coding in buttons for my games menus, now it only takes 42 minutes to setup a full GUI that scales.

Irrlicht is the kind of tool that improves as you do.

Hey, I'm not attempting to bump an older thread but need to revive this for the same reason. I am now at home with my gaming computer specs below

AMD A8-7600 Radeon R7 (4 CPUS) 3.1GHZ

8gb Ram

1TB hard drive

AMD R7 Graphics

Not the best for gaming pc but good enough I need to do some upgrading but regardless it can handle most/all engines so specs are not a worry.

I was coding with unreal engine 4 but came into some problems so decided to start creating an offline mmo idea which was working until a few problems mainly with the community being super small.

But am now looking for anybody willing to give advice for creating an elder scrolls style open world (Not just 3 and 4 but 3, 4 and 5 and some other like games)

I have experience in c++ I am 2 years into java and still understand game maker studio coding completely.

I spent two years with irrlicht and have not finished my first 3D game yet:) Working in 3d is pretty slow and the project you describe seems very very large for a one person team (possibly your first game?). I switched back to 2d as the progress was too slow for me.

Nevertheless, irrlicht might work for your needs, but just plan on spending some time learning the engine, your finished game is many many years away to be realistic (if this is your first game).

http://elderscrolls.wikia.com/wiki/Developers_(Morrowind)
Such a game has 30-50 experienced developer working on it for a couple of years. So it's reasonable to estimate (if you are an experienced developer with a couple of released games under your belt) that you will spend some 100 years to finish it if you are alone... Just saying. People REALLY underestimate how complicated and large such a project is.

Just because graphics in the commercial market has advanced alot doesnt mean "old-looking" games becomes much easier to make from scratch.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement