• Advertisement
smidge

Where do you find music for your game(s)?

I'm currently working on algorithmically developing music for hobby & beginner game developers and am trying to find out how game devs decide on and source music when making a game.

I'd really appreciate it if any of you could complete this short survey that would help me form my aims & requirements: http://bit.ly/2CiOn2v

Massive thanks in advance!

Advertisement

Hi there,

Although I'm a noob in music, here are my 2 cents.

For my goofy point&click adventure game Argh! Earthlings! I have searched for background music for at least 3 month. I had needed around 20 comic style songs for trailer, intro, ending sequence and the game itself. Most of the songs are about 2 to 3 minutes long and are loops actually. I used pond5.com to get all of these. The music is including funky country style, calm mysterious style and some cold/digital laboratory style. Here and there is some stressful action music. The songs change fading out and in within a second, every time the scenery changes (if necessary). The transition is done programatically. To get a little bit more variance into this I tried to randomize the offset of the beginning. It sounds a litte bit like if one would stack or cascade the sceneries.

The only thing that would be nice to have is to stop a song at a specific time and it change for more action. On the other side sometimes I would need a longer silence to underline specific game details. Im pretty sure this all can be done by code. I think this is what you try to do.

So, for this type of game a dynamic, algorithmically developing music is nice, but somewhat too much work (for me). For some RPG this would be a cool feature, and for titles like Skyrim it is a must have, I think.

Hope this helps you a little bit.

+1 for pond5. Also audiojungle, another decent site of royalty free stock music.

For original music written exclusively for your game - upwork, freelancer, or here... there is a lot of composers working in any style of music one can imagine.

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!