• Advertisement

Boid's algorithm doesn't work perfectly

Hello,

I have a Bachelor project on topic "Implenet 3D Boid's algorithm in OpenGL". All OpenGL issues works fine for me, all rendering etc. But when I started implement the boid's algorithm it was getting worse and worse. I read article (http://natureofcode.com/book/chapter-6-autonomous-agents/) inspirate from another code (here: https://github.com/jyanar/Boids/tree/master/src) but it still doesn't work like in tutorials and videos. For example the main problem: when I apply Cohesion (one of three main laws of boids) it makes some "cycling knot". Second, when some flock touch to another it scary change the coordination or respawn in origin (x: 0, y:0. z:0). Just some streng things. 

I followed many tutorials, change a try everything but it isn't so smooth, without lags like in another videos. I really need your help. 

My code (optimalizing branch): https://github.com/pr033r/BachelorProject/tree/Optimalizing

Exe file (if you want to look) and models folder (for those who will download the sources):

http://leteckaposta.cz/367190436

Thanks for any help...

Untitled2.png

Advertisement
19 minutes ago, pr033r said:

I have a Bachelor project on topic "Implenet 3D Boid's algorithm in OpenGL".

I envy you, what a great topic.

22 minutes ago, pr033r said:

I read article (http://natureofcode.com/book/chapter-6-autonomous-agents/) inspirate from another code

This could be your problem, your starting way too deep. Complex subjects should be eased into.

This article was better for me than most of the stuff on the web: http://www.kfish.org/boids/pseudocode.html

It shows a concept where you design the rules separate then add them, it's a easy way to prototype your own boid set. Then later when everything works you can merge them into a efficient rule.

30 minutes ago, pr033r said:

Second, when some flock touch to another it scary change the coordination or respawn in origin (x: 0, y:0. z:0). Just some streng things. 

I had something similar happen but it was because of avoidance, when a boid got near a other they would rush to the 0,0 point. When I looked I found that my avoidance subtraction was reversed:

Instead of BoidA.position - BoidB.position I was using BoidB.position - BoidA.position. Look around to see if the same thing isn't happening with you.

Solving the math on paper was a good way for me to solve problems.

I haven't had a chance to look at your code, having a long work day.

Ok, I figure out it that all problems are in Seperation method. If I comment this method, all works smoothy, without lags, even when 100 boids is set. Now I have to find solution how to define ideal seperation method.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Advertisement
  • Advertisement
  • Popular Tags

• Advertisement
  • Popular Now

• Similar Content

• By Nikolay Dimchev
      Hello, Game Devs! 
      I am a 3D Modeler and Texture Artist currently looking for freelance work.
      If you're interested please feel free to checkout my portfolio at the link below.
      Contact me with details at nickeydimchev3d@gmail.com!
      ~Nick
      nickeydimchev3d.myportfolio.com

• By PhillipHamlyn
      Hi
      I have a procedurally generated tiled landscape, and want to apply 'regional' information to the tiles at runtime; so Forests, Roads - pretty much anything that could be defined as a 'region'. Up until now I've done this by creating a mesh defining the 'region' on the CPU and interrogating that mesh during the landscape tile generation; I then add regional information to the landscape tile via a series of Vertex boolean properties. For each landscape tile vertex I do a ray-mesh intersect into the 'region' mesh and get some value from that mesh.

For example my landscape vertex could be;
      struct Vtx { Vector3 Position; bool IsForest; bool IsRoad; bool IsRiver; } I would then have a region mesh defining a forest, another defining rivers etc. When generating my landscape veretexes I do an intersect check on the various 'region' meshes to see what kind of landscape that vertex falls within.

My ray-mesh intersect code isn't particularly fast, and there may be many 'region' meshes to interrogate, and I want to see if I can move this work onto the GPU, so that when I create a set of tile vertexes I can call a compute/other shader and pass the region mesh to it, and interrogate that mesh inside the shader. The output would be a buffer where all the landscape vertex boolean values have been filled in.

The way I see this being done is to pass in two RWStucturedBuffer to a compute shader, one containing the landscape vertexes, and the other containing some definition of the region mesh, (possibly the region might consist of two buffers containing a set of positions and indexes). The compute shader would do a ray-mesh intersect check on each landscape vertex and would set the boolean flags on a corresponding output buffer.

In theory this is a parallelisable operation (no one landscape vertex relies on another for its values) but I've not seen any examples of a ray-mesh intersect being done in a compute shader; so I'm wondering if my approach is wrong, and the reason I've not seen any examples, is because no-one does it that way. If anyone can comment on;
      Is this a really bad idea ? If no-one does it that way, does everyone use a Texture to define this kind of 'region' information ? If so - given I've only got a small number of possible types of region, what Texture Format would be appropriate, as 32bits seems really wasteful. Is there a common other approach to adding information to a basic height-mapped tile system that would perform well for runtime generated tiles ? Thanks
      Phillip
    • By GytisDev
      Hello,
      without going into any details I am looking for any articles or blogs or advice about city building and RTS games in general. I tried to search for these on my own, but would like to see your input also. I want to make a very simple version of a game like Banished or Kingdoms and Castles,  where I would be able to place like two types of buildings, make farms and cut trees for resources while controlling a single worker. I have some problem understanding how these games works in the back-end: how various data can be stored about the map and objects, how grids works, implementing work system (like a little cube (human) walks to a tree and cuts it) and so on. I am also pretty confident in my programming capabilities for such a game. Sorry if I make any mistakes, English is not my native language.
      Thank you in advance.
    • By LifeArtist
      Good Evening,
      I want to make a 2D game which involves displaying some debug information. Especially for collision, enemy sights and so on ...
      First of I was thinking about all those shapes which I need will need for debugging purposes: circles, rectangles, lines, polygons.
      I am really stucked right now because of the fundamental question:
      Where do I store my vertices positions for each line (object)? Currently I am not using a model matrix because I am using orthographic projection and set the final position within the VBO. That means that if I add a new line I would have to expand the "points" array and re-upload (recall glBufferData) it every time. The other method would be to use a model matrix and a fixed vbo for a line but it would be also messy to exactly create a line from (0,0) to (100,20) calculating the rotation and scale to make it fit.
      If I proceed with option 1 "updating the array each frame" I was thinking of having 4 draw calls every frame for the lines vao, polygons vao and so on. 
      In addition to that I am planning to use some sort of ECS based architecture. So the other question would be:
      Should I treat those debug objects as entities/components?
      For me it would make sense to treat them as entities but that's creates a new issue with the previous array approach because it would have for example a transform and render component. A special render component for debug objects (no texture etc) ... For me the transform component is also just a matrix but how would I then define a line?
      Treating them as components would'nt be a good idea in my eyes because then I would always need an entity. Well entity is just an id !? So maybe its a component?
      Regards,
      LifeArtist
  • Advertisement