• Advertisement

I wanna create a Rimworld-like game

Posted (edited)

Hey guys!
My name is Nikita, I'm 19 currently. I'm from Mother Russia, working for FSB and trying to recreate the Soviet Union...

Just joking :D

So, I have some questions that I hope you can help me with:

I REALLY enjoy playing the game Rimworld. It's kinda realistic, filled with details and random stuff like random (good or bad) events, random character traits, so it's kinda like a real-life game. I really like to manage my colony, overcome the troubles, and evolve. Now I decided I wanna create a clone of it, but with some my own stuff that this game doesn't have. I DON'T WANT to make a mod for it (at least right now, when I start), I want to make a standalone game that will basically be 80% like Rimworld. Of course it will be MUCH simplier, at least at the beginning.

1) What engine do you suggest for such purpose? What programming language should I learn? I have some basic skills in programming (if, while, for - level). My game can also be like with pixel graphics, for old-school look and probably easier for me to create.

2) Tell me please about your exprerience in finding kinda...like-minded people that might help you when you just have nothing but a bunch of ideas in your head?

Sorry for my imperfect English, I don't write things in it like every day.

Thanks.

Edited by Cryptopatik

Advertisement

1) As you're just starting, a popular engine in whichever language you find easiest to use.  As for which language to use, either pick one of the common ones (C++, C#, Java, Python, JS), or try a few out and see which one you like best.   You can also go vice versa and learn the language for the engine you choose (Unity[C# or JS] and UE4[C++] being the most popular engines).  There might be a way to make said rimworld clone in something like gamemaker as well, so that's always an option too. 

2) Assuming you mean people joining your project for help, experience for hobby stuff has been: people will come and go, and you may find awesome friends for life or make one hell of an enemy.  Most hobby projects seem to fall off into oblivion as people tend to get silly because they have a team and making a "serious" game requires a bit more commitment and effort than most people are willing to put in as a hobby.  Of course, if you're just asking for advice or running into trouble with something, this community, and others out there are pretty useful.  There's also a plethora of information out there to learn from.

Hope that helps.

Hey ace4016
Thanks for answering, but...

I just need a staight advice about which engine do you suggest for such a game.

And the antoher one about like-minded people: I'm just curious about HOW did you and other people begin there journey in game-making industry? I mean, where did you find those people? Especially if you don't now almost any. I have one friend of mine who's a coder finishing his bachelor programm here, in Moscow, but he's obviously kinda busy right now and unfortunately I'm not so charismatic to inspire him about this project to the point I am inspired. So, just kinda your experience - where did you find help? Because you can't do big games without help.
Thanks.

Nikita.

Not a huge fan of Unity myself but this guy literally makes a game like Rimworld in Unity. From start to finish. 

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Advertisement
  • Advertisement
  • Popular Tags

• Advertisement
  • Popular Now

• Similar Content

• By Allagia X
      An original fantasy RP game needs dedicated, self-motivated, and chill individuals! We have a story and general plot already set up, ready to be expanded upon. 

Miasma: Twilight Decree is a 2D roleplay adventure game. It’s set in a unique fantasy world with a vast map containing continents and oceans alike. Players are given one objective: to endure the troublous environments Allagia have to offer and successfully progress through time to reach the Age of Technology. The stakes are high, and every character’s actions can alter the world – or reset everything back to the beginning ages. MTD features a blend of survival aspects, dark themes, with the ability to make a mark in the history books.

What we're currently looking for:

• Writers - Super creative individuals who have experience in lore-making, world-building, and know their way around fantasy writing. All of the general elements are here [setting, plot, etc.] and need some "fluffing out"[quest lines, clans/ factions/ families, etc.]. Bonus points to those who can whip up spells and skills.
      • Artists - Mainly those who specialize in pixelated art, or people who can make concept art [since we lack pictures]. 
      • Project Manager - Someone who is organized and can keep this project on the rails. As thorough as I am, it's difficult to cover all the bases on my own. 
      • Other Positions - Anything else to fill in the gaps. We currently use Wikidot for our wiki; someone with CSS and syntax experience to polish it up would be awesome. A musician/ composer for all things musical. Way later down the road, we'll need community managers, DMs, and the such, though it isn't necessary at the moment. 

Other information:

I've been working on this project since the beginning of 2017 with a group of friends. Life basically prohibited a lot of us from continuing on with it, and it went on hiatus for a while. I'm making an attempt to bring this back from the dead since plenty of time and effort went into it beforehand. It goes without saying that I also have a passion for roleplaying. 

I cannot stress enough that anyone interested should be into fantasy settings or D&D. Otherwise, you're probably not going to have fun with helping!

We do have a Patreon with a few supporters, and Discord. Until things really start moving, we'll be using Discord to collaborate. 

For any questions, comments, or concerns, feel free to comment below or add me on discord @ Allagia X#9174 [best method of contact] for more info about this project.
    • By Bokchee 88
      I am animator by hand, and i am doing game animation for at least 8 years so far. During the last 2 years, i came with a idea for game and maybe some day, i want to start indie game company. As i am thinking to start game company, i am also thinking what kind of value i can give to the company. For example, am experience in animation,sales(I was selling web development services, before i jumped to gaming), bit of rigging- just not for production, i am learning on the side as well. The rest of the gaming production, like modeling, concept art, texturing, i am total noob or to say better, i am no near interest to do modeling for example, don't have such a patience to do it. But before characters and things are made for animating, what the hell i am would do?
      Also, what is the ideal size of the founding team of a game company? Positions to be filled mostly are, Concept artist, Modeler/Texture artist, programmer, animator-rigger. And later would need more people to join, like more animators, programmers, sound, fx,etc.

And lastly, do i need to have something,like a prototype, to show people and get them interest, or should i ask someone i know, for skill that i lack, for example, Modeling would be great, texturing and rigging, and to start all together from scratch?  
    • By Manuel Berger
      Hello fellow devs!
      Once again I started working on an 2D adventure game and right now I'm doing the character-movement/animation. I'm not a big math guy and I was happy about my solution, but soon I realized that it's flawed.
      My player has 5 walking-animations, mirrored for the left side: up, upright, right, downright, down. With the atan2 function I get the angle between player and destination. To get an index from 0 to 4, I divide PI by 5 and see how many times it goes into the player-destination angle.

In Pseudo-Code:
      angle = atan2(destination.x - player.x, destination.y - player.y) //swapped y and x to get mirrored angle around the y axis
      index = (int) (angle / (PI / 5));
      PlayAnimation(index); //0 = up, 1 = up_right, 2 = right, 3 = down_right, 4 = down

Besides the fact that when angle is equal to PI it produces an index of 5, this works like a charm. Or at least I thought so at first. When I tested it, I realized that the up and down animation is playing more often than the others, which is pretty logical, since they have double the angle.

What I'm trying to achieve is something like this, but with equal angles, so that up and down has the same range as all other directions.

I can't get my head around it. Any suggestions? Is the whole approach doomed?

Thank you in advance for any input!

• By Terry Jin
      Hi everyone! 

I am from an indie studio that has received funding for our concept and is ready to create the next generation 2D Pokemon-inspired MMORPG called Phantasy World. This ad is for a volunteer position but hopefully will transition into something more. Our vision is to create a game that draws inspiration from the series but is dramatically different in both aesthetics and gameplay as the work would be our own.

We are hoping that you can help us make this a reality and are looking for game developers familiar with the unreal engine and would be happy to work on a 2D top down game. Sprite artists are also welcome as we are in desperate need of talented artists! Join our discord and let's have a chat! https://discord.gg/hfDxwDX

Here's some of our in game sprites for playable characters while moving around the game world! Hope to see you soon!

• Advertisement