• Advertisement
  • Popular Tags

• Popular Now

• Advertisement
  • Similar Content

• By Ricardo3Ddev
      Hi guys!
      This is a independent game being produced by me and my brother. We’ve been working on it for about 6 months and we’ve already done a good part of the game. We hope to finalize and make it available on Steam by the end of this year.
      We are using Blender 3D and Gimp software for production.

About the Game: Dongo Adventure will be a 3D platform style game, where the main character (Dongo) is a mouse that ventures through various scenarios (sewers, culverts, streets, electric grid, etc.) and faces several enemies along the way (cockroaches, mosquitoes, spiders, toxic gases, electrical wires, etc.). He carries a basket / backpack with cheeses that he uses to throw and defend himself from enemies, as well as being able to push objects that helps him to overcome obstacles. The ultimate goal will be a surprise!

Now we are developing new scenarios and enemies. We hope to publish news soon...
      Game page on Steam: http://store.steampowered.com/app/811450/Dongo_Adventure/ - (Teaser UPDATED)
      Dongo Adventure - Indie Game Project (First Teaser) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X2nmxtkE0xk

Thanks for following the project!

• By juicyz
      Hey all,
      I've been slowly working on my game called AotW for a while now.  I have come to the conclusions that it would be nice to cooperate with 1 or 2 others to help finish it.  Ive been trying to keep my GDD up to date with my ideas and development so that would give a better overview of the game when the time comes.  Currently I have a basic skeleton of the RPG elements needed but everything can still be discussed and talked about and we can transform my idea to something the group likes.
      The premise of the game is a Diablo-like procedurally generated map with RPG elements that include sockets, inventory, classes, abilities, crafting, loot, items, sockets, and enchanting.  This will be done in a 2D iso view as I can't do 3D art and I enjoy 2D games a lot.

I don't plan on releasing this as this is more of a hobby project for me and I have a full-time job.  Though I'd like to start putting more hours into development and having others definitely will be motivation.  I also want to be able to say I have finally "finished" a game idea to some degree.  If the time comes and we want to release it, then we can go ahead and do so but that's not my purpose or plan. 

Discord:
      Juicyz#3683

Thanks,
      Juicyz
    • By Ty Typhoon
      Before read everything i am honest:
      Payment after release you get your percentage lifetime for that project.

Second:
      i dont need your inspirations, ideas, music or designs.
      My head is full with that.
      I need workers who i can trust.

Please let us talk in discord.
      I got a lot of stuff planned, there is much work to do.

But first my team and me try to start with a small mini game and we need maybe exactly you.
      Planned for more than pc, like ps4, xbox one and mobile - so its very important to us to hopefully welcome a programmer.

The mini game will be part of the planned big game. There will be never before seen guns and gameplay, you will get deeper info if youre a safe part of the team.

I need:
      Programmers
      Animators
      Zbrush pros

Join here please:
      https://discord.gg/YtjE3sV

You find me here:
      Joerg Federmann Composing#2898

• By tj8146
      I am using immediate mode for OpenGL and I am creating a 2D top down car game. I am trying to configure my game loop in order to get my car-like physics working on a square shape. I have working code but it is not doing as I want it to. I am not sure as to whether it is my game loop that is incorrect or my code for the square is incorrect, or maybe both! Could someone help because I have been trying to work this out for over a day now
      I have attached my .cpp file if you wish to run it for yourself.. 
      WinMain code:
      /******************* WIN32 FUNCTIONS ***************************/ int WINAPI WinMain( HINSTANCE hInstance, // Instance HINSTANCE hPrevInstance, // Previous Instance LPSTR lpCmdLine, // Command Line Parameters int nCmdShow) // Window Show State { MSG msg; // Windows Message Structure bool done=false; // Bool Variable To Exit Loop Car car; car.x = 220; car.y = 140; car.dx = 0; car.dy = 0; car.ang = 0; AllocConsole(); FILE *stream; freopen_s(&stream, "CONOUT$", "w", stdout); // Create Our OpenGL Window if (!CreateGLWindow("OpenGL Win32 Example",screenWidth,screenHeight)) { return 0; // Quit If Window Was Not Created } while(!done) // Loop That Runs While done=FALSE { if (PeekMessage(&msg,NULL,0,0,PM_REMOVE)) // Is There A Message Waiting? { if (msg.message==WM_QUIT) // Have We Received A Quit Message? { done=true; // If So done=TRUE break; } else // If Not, Deal With Window Messages { TranslateMessage(&msg); // Translate The Message DispatchMessage(&msg); // Dispatch The Message } } else // If There Are No Messages { if(keys[VK_ESCAPE]) done = true; void processKeys(Car& car); //process keyboard while (game_is_running) { loops = 0; while (GetTickCount() > next_game_tick && loops < MAX_FRAMESKIP) { update(car); // update variables next_game_tick += SKIP_TICKS; loops++; } display(car); // Draw The Scene SwapBuffers(hDC); // Swap Buffers (Double Buffering) } } } // Shutdown KillGLWindow(); // Kill The Window return (int)(msg.wParam); // Exit The Program } //WIN32 Processes function - useful for responding to user inputs or other events. LRESULT CALLBACK WndProc( HWND hWnd, // Handle For This Window UINT uMsg, // Message For This Window WPARAM wParam, // Additional Message Information LPARAM lParam) // Additional Message Information { switch (uMsg) // Check For Windows Messages { case WM_CLOSE: // Did We Receive A Close Message? { PostQuitMessage(0); // Send A Quit Message return 0; // Jump Back } break; case WM_SIZE: // Resize The OpenGL Window { reshape(LOWORD(lParam),HIWORD(lParam)); // LoWord=Width, HiWord=Height return 0; // Jump Back } break; case WM_LBUTTONDOWN: { mouse_x = LOWORD(lParam); mouse_y = screenHeight - HIWORD(lParam); LeftPressed = true; } break; case WM_LBUTTONUP: { LeftPressed = false; } break; case WM_MOUSEMOVE: { mouse_x = LOWORD(lParam); mouse_y = screenHeight - HIWORD(lParam); } break; case WM_KEYDOWN: // Is A Key Being Held Down? { keys[wParam] = true; // If So, Mark It As TRUE return 0; // Jump Back } break; case WM_KEYUP: // Has A Key Been Released? { keys[wParam] = false; // If So, Mark It As FALSE return 0; // Jump Back } break; } // Pass All Unhandled Messages To DefWindowProc return DefWindowProc(hWnd,uMsg,wParam,lParam); }  
      C++ and OpenGL code:
      int mouse_x=0, mouse_y=0; bool LeftPressed = false; int screenWidth=1080, screenHeight=960; bool keys[256]; float radiansFromDegrees(float deg) { return deg * (M_PI / 180.0f); } float degreesFromRadians(float rad) { return rad / (M_PI / 180.0f); } bool game_is_running = true; const int TICKS_PER_SECOND = 50; const int SKIP_TICKS = 1000 / TICKS_PER_SECOND; const int MAX_FRAMESKIP = 10; DWORD next_game_tick = GetTickCount(); int loops; typedef struct { float x, y; float dx, dy; float ang; }Car; //OPENGL FUNCTION PROTOTYPES void display(const Car& car); //called in winmain to draw everything to the screen void reshape(int width, int height); //called when the window is resized void init(); //called in winmain when the program starts. void processKeys(Car& car); //called in winmain to process keyboard input void update(Car& car); //called in winmain to update variables /************* START OF OPENGL FUNCTIONS ****************/ void display(const Car& car) { const float w = 50.0f; const float h = 50.0f; glClear(GL_COLOR_BUFFER_BIT); glLoadIdentity(); glTranslatef(100, 100, 0); glBegin(GL_POLYGON); glVertex2f(car.x, car.y); glVertex2f(car.x + w, car.y); glVertex2f(car.x + w, car.y + h); glVertex2f(car.x, car.y + h); glEnd(); glFlush(); } void reshape(int width, int height) // Resize the OpenGL window { screenWidth = width; screenHeight = height; // to ensure the mouse coordinates match // we will use these values to set the coordinate system glViewport(0, 0, width, height); // Reset the current viewport glMatrixMode(GL_PROJECTION); // select the projection matrix stack glLoadIdentity(); // reset the top of the projection matrix to an identity matrix gluOrtho2D(0, screenWidth, 0, screenHeight); // set the coordinate system for the window glMatrixMode(GL_MODELVIEW); // Select the modelview matrix stack glLoadIdentity(); // Reset the top of the modelview matrix to an identity matrix } void init() { glClearColor(1.0, 1.0, 0.0, 0.0); //sets the clear colour to yellow //glClear(GL_COLOR_BUFFER_BIT) in the display function //will clear the buffer to this colour. } void processKeys(Car& car) { if (keys[VK_UP]) { float cdx = sinf(radiansFromDegrees(car.ang)); float cdy = -cosf(radiansFromDegrees(car.ang)); car.dx += cdx; car.dy += cdy; } if (keys[VK_DOWN]) { float cdx = sinf(radiansFromDegrees(car.ang)); float cdy = -cosf(radiansFromDegrees(car.ang)); car.dx += -cdx; car.dy += -cdy; } if (keys[VK_LEFT]) { car.ang -= 2; } if (keys[VK_RIGHT]) { car.ang += 2; } } void update(Car& car) { car.x += car.dx*next_game_tick; }  
      game.cpp
    • By tj8146
      I am using immediate mode for OpenGL and I am creating a 2D top down car game. I am trying to configure my game loop in order to get my car-like physics working on a square shape. I have working code but it is not doing as I want it to. I am not sure as to whether it is my game loop that is incorrect or my code for the square is incorrect, or maybe both! Could someone help because I have been trying to work this out for over a day now
      I have attached my .cpp file if you wish to run it for yourself.. 

This is my C++ and OpenGL code:
      int mouse_x=0, mouse_y=0; bool LeftPressed = false; int screenWidth=1080, screenHeight=960; bool keys[256]; float radiansFromDegrees(float deg) { return deg * (M_PI / 180.0f); } float degreesFromRadians(float rad) { return rad / (M_PI / 180.0f); } bool game_is_running = true; const int TICKS_PER_SECOND = 50; const int SKIP_TICKS = 1000 / TICKS_PER_SECOND; const int MAX_FRAMESKIP = 10; DWORD next_game_tick = GetTickCount(); int loops; typedef struct { float x, y; float dx, dy; float ang; }Car; //OPENGL FUNCTION PROTOTYPES void display(const Car& car); //called in winmain to draw everything to the screen void reshape(int width, int height); //called when the window is resized void init(); //called in winmain when the program starts. void processKeys(Car& car); //called in winmain to process keyboard input void update(Car& car); //called in winmain to update variables /************* START OF OPENGL FUNCTIONS ****************/ void display(const Car& car) { const float w = 50.0f; const float h = 50.0f; glClear(GL_COLOR_BUFFER_BIT); glLoadIdentity(); glTranslatef(100, 100, 0); glBegin(GL_POLYGON); glVertex2f(car.x, car.y); glVertex2f(car.x + w, car.y); glVertex2f(car.x + w, car.y + h); glVertex2f(car.x, car.y + h); glEnd(); glFlush(); } void reshape(int width, int height) // Resize the OpenGL window { screenWidth = width; screenHeight = height; // to ensure the mouse coordinates match // we will use these values to set the coordinate system glViewport(0, 0, width, height); // Reset the current viewport glMatrixMode(GL_PROJECTION); // select the projection matrix stack glLoadIdentity(); // reset the top of the projection matrix to an identity matrix gluOrtho2D(0, screenWidth, 0, screenHeight); // set the coordinate system for the window glMatrixMode(GL_MODELVIEW); // Select the modelview matrix stack glLoadIdentity(); // Reset the top of the modelview matrix to an identity matrix } void init() { glClearColor(1.0, 1.0, 0.0, 0.0); //sets the clear colour to yellow //glClear(GL_COLOR_BUFFER_BIT) in the display function //will clear the buffer to this colour. } void processKeys(Car& car) { if (keys[VK_UP]) { float cdx = sinf(radiansFromDegrees(car.ang)); float cdy = -cosf(radiansFromDegrees(car.ang)); car.dx += cdx; car.dy += cdy; } if (keys[VK_DOWN]) { float cdx = sinf(radiansFromDegrees(car.ang)); float cdy = -cosf(radiansFromDegrees(car.ang)); car.dx += -cdx; car.dy += -cdy; } if (keys[VK_LEFT]) { car.ang -= 2; } if (keys[VK_RIGHT]) { car.ang += 2; } } void update(Car& car) { car.x += car.dx*next_game_tick; } My WinMain code:
      /******************* WIN32 FUNCTIONS ***************************/ int WINAPI WinMain( HINSTANCE hInstance, // Instance HINSTANCE hPrevInstance, // Previous Instance LPSTR lpCmdLine, // Command Line Parameters int nCmdShow) // Window Show State { MSG msg; // Windows Message Structure bool done=false; // Bool Variable To Exit Loop Car car; car.x = 220; car.y = 140; car.dx = 0; car.dy = 0; car.ang = 0; AllocConsole(); FILE *stream; freopen_s(&stream, "CONOUT$", "w", stdout); // Create Our OpenGL Window if (!CreateGLWindow("OpenGL Win32 Example",screenWidth,screenHeight)) { return 0; // Quit If Window Was Not Created } while(!done) // Loop That Runs While done=FALSE { if (PeekMessage(&msg,NULL,0,0,PM_REMOVE)) // Is There A Message Waiting? { if (msg.message==WM_QUIT) // Have We Received A Quit Message? { done=true; // If So done=TRUE break; } else // If Not, Deal With Window Messages { TranslateMessage(&msg); // Translate The Message DispatchMessage(&msg); // Dispatch The Message } } else // If There Are No Messages { if(keys[VK_ESCAPE]) done = true; void processKeys(Car& car); //process keyboard while (game_is_running) { loops = 0; while (GetTickCount() > next_game_tick && loops < MAX_FRAMESKIP) { update(car); // update variables next_game_tick += SKIP_TICKS; loops++; } display(car); // Draw The Scene SwapBuffers(hDC); // Swap Buffers (Double Buffering) } } } // Shutdown KillGLWindow(); // Kill The Window return (int)(msg.wParam); // Exit The Program } //WIN32 Processes function - useful for responding to user inputs or other events. LRESULT CALLBACK WndProc( HWND hWnd, // Handle For This Window UINT uMsg, // Message For This Window WPARAM wParam, // Additional Message Information LPARAM lParam) // Additional Message Information { switch (uMsg) // Check For Windows Messages { case WM_CLOSE: // Did We Receive A Close Message? { PostQuitMessage(0); // Send A Quit Message return 0; // Jump Back } break; case WM_SIZE: // Resize The OpenGL Window { reshape(LOWORD(lParam),HIWORD(lParam)); // LoWord=Width, HiWord=Height return 0; // Jump Back } break; case WM_LBUTTONDOWN: { mouse_x = LOWORD(lParam); mouse_y = screenHeight - HIWORD(lParam); LeftPressed = true; } break; case WM_LBUTTONUP: { LeftPressed = false; } break; case WM_MOUSEMOVE: { mouse_x = LOWORD(lParam); mouse_y = screenHeight - HIWORD(lParam); } break; case WM_KEYDOWN: // Is A Key Being Held Down? { keys[wParam] = true; // If So, Mark It As TRUE return 0; // Jump Back } break; case WM_KEYUP: // Has A Key Been Released? { keys[wParam] = false; // If So, Mark It As FALSE return 0; // Jump Back } break; } // Pass All Unhandled Messages To DefWindowProc return DefWindowProc(hWnd,uMsg,wParam,lParam); }  
      game.cpp
  • Advertisement
  • Advertisement

PC My idea for a 2d game

So i'll start from the beginning and go to the story.

If anyone ever finds this thread, please let me know of your thoughts.

I'm sorry for any misspells. I'm Finnish so i'm not really great in English.

So. A few days ago i experimented on making 8-bit-like music (not actually 8-bit) and it really sounded great and i got these vibes about how it could be on a game like pokemon.

A few hours went by and i had made a full soundtrack consisting 20 different 8-bit songs. I got excited about making it into an actual game and started to make some sprites.

I already got an idea of the story in the game because i've been thinking about that story for a longer time.

I took a lot of inspiration from Undertale on the sprites i made and i used a 8-bit palette of colors designing them. The game is a 2d game.

But i made this thread to talk about the story, not the graphics or audio so let's get into it.

For a long time i have been thinking of making a game that talks about things such as death and afterlife but presents it in an unusual way. I know it's not a new idea just from me but you understand the concept. 

The game starts with you waking up in a church with no opening scene or anything. You're not supposed to know that you're actually dead yet and it is supposed to look like any other game. Actually you're not told about it anywhere. It just hints in slight ways that you are actually in the after life. 
You are supposed to help your friends in a project they won't agree on telling you about. You do some ordinary stuff with them like exploring an abandoned fortress (abandoned for obvious reasons), When you get to the fortress, you're the first to enter the gate. After going inside you see that your friends are not coming. Inside the fortress is a medieval village witch is not abandoned at all, it's populated with different creatures. The fortress acting as it was the afterlife and the scene with you and the friends acting as it was kind of between life and death.

I am not telling more of the story, BUT i want to inform that yes the idea is supposed to be a bit symbolic of death but no the story is not going to be complex. 

And a little bit more of the gameplay:

As i said; i'm not going to present the game in a creepy or scary way. I'm not going to tell the player that you are actually dead and in the surface the game is supposed to look like an ordinary kids game. BUT i was planning on making these collectibles witch are as if they were your memories from your life and every time you find them the game shows you an animation/photo from for example: You and your friends, You in school, You in work etc.

Also i was planning on scripting the game with C# since i got the most experience of it but i'm not really sure on what engine should i use. If you have any suggestions i would be really pleased if you helped

So i don't really have much more to tell you and i' a bit exhausted from explaining everything so i wont continue but  guess you got the concept if you read this post.

Sorry if i presented the story in a weird way. It's purely because i'm not the best at formatting sentences in english but i hope you get the point. That's the most important thing.

Please tell me your thoughts about my idea!

Advertisement
14 hours ago, Cassi69 said:

i was planning on scripting the game with C# since i got the most experience of it but i'm not really sure on what engine should i use. If you have any suggestions i would be really pleased if you helped

Engine questions are off-topic in the Writing forum. This forum is for your story questions. For engine questions, use For Beginners (or just let your lead programmer choose the engine). For game design questions, use the Game Design forum (and so on).

The concept is quite "normal" and a little vague, but I get the idea. The plot still needs a lot of reconstruction. If you do have a solid plan for the game, PM me, I'll be glad to help :)