• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
Kavik Kang

Pirate Dawn Universe/Lost Art Studios

I am looking for a programmer who is interested in making an indie game called Space Hockey. The design document can be downloaded from my blog on GameDev.Net. There are also over 600 pages of material relating too my 14-game Pirate Dawn Universe on this blog.

https://www.gamedev.net/blogs/?page=1&filter=my_blogs&sortby=blog_last_edate

For now I am only looking for a programmer who is capable of making Space Hockey, and together we can assemble the rest of the team from there. I am looking for someone who is at least near 30 years old and has finished at least one game before. I don't want to distract younger people from establishing themselves in a career with the lure of making games, and I want someone who has made at least one game before so that they understand going into it how much work that entails even for a simple game like Space Hockey. It doesn't have to be a game that was published, the whole point is just that you understand how much work it is to actually finish it.

I am not looking to just make something to post on an indie site somewhere, the goal here is to eventually have Space Hockey for sale on Steam. As can be seen in the design document, once that has been achieved there is a lot of expansion of this that could take place resulting in half-a-dozen or so DLC expansions. This would begin as a hobby/indie project but will, hopefully, someday become a commercial game company. Assuming that Space Hockey and its DLC expansions were successful, the goal would be to transition into a commercial game company and begin work on the 14 games of my Pirate Dawn Universe.

I have been designing games and simulations since before the computer game industry existed, for about 40 years now. I don't say this out of arrogance. It is simply a fact of time that today, in 2018, I am one of the most experienced and knowledgeable game and simulation designers in the world. Although the very simple Space Hockey does not use it, a physical construct that I call “Rube” is the fundamental basis of what you know as “The Matrix”. Rube is also the fundamental basis of cyberspace, an insubstantial holodeck, and a self-programming computer with omniscient communication. The later games of the Pirate Dawn Universe such as Territories, Mission, Clash of the Titans, and the Struggle of the Ancients games are all based on Rube.

The Pirate Dawn Universe is a sci-fi universe focused on space ship games. Lost Art Studios games are based on the 300 years of game design that came before computer games. They are not, for the most part, based on past computer games. This is only one of the things that makes these games unlike any computer games that have ever existed before. As a former member of the SFB Staff, there is no competition out there for Lost Art Studios when it comes to making space ship games for the computer. If LAS can get off the ground, competing within this genre in the modern game industry would be like hunting rabbits with a 120mm cannon.

This will begin as a hobby/indie project to create Space Hockey, and we can establish a typical deal where those who contribute to the creation of the game receive some form of payment if and when the game actually makes money. I really don't care about the money very much and am open to anything that works. The true goal, however, is to get Lost Art Studios off the ground as a commercial game company that will very easily dominate the space ship game genre with its 40 years of accumulated knowledge of the Star Fleet Universe community. And, of course, Rube... which also partly comes from the SFU. Even if Lost Art Studios manages to get off the ground, we would not attempt to develop a truly large or complex game at first. Part of the plan within the design of the games of the PDU is that the first three games are smaller and more simple games to make.

Territories is a prequel, that “Civilization scale war game” is first chronologically but can be made at any point during the telling of the PDU story. The actual first three games are intentionally simple to make. As an MMO Pirate Dawn is “massive” from the player's perspective, but it it is actually a fairly small and simple game too make. The “massiveness” of Pirate Dawn is an illusion too the player. The game itself isn't actually “massive”, the simple arcade game maps are. Manifest Destiny and The Trade Wars, what would be the second and third games, are both smaller and easier to produce than Pirate Dawn is. They are both intentionally minimalist strategy economic war game “scenario generators” where the focus is heavily on the tactical combat resolution (which is not 3D). Lost Art Studios would not even attempt to make a “big game” until we were on our fourth release.

If you are interested in helping to create Space Hockey, with a plan already place to keep going from there, you can contact me through my blog on GameDev.Net or my e-mail address: kavik_kang@hotmail.com.

Advertisement

I am still looking for a programmer who wants to make Space Hockey with a plan to continue making games within this same universe for... the rest of our lives, actually. A programmer mentioned that they thought Space Hockey could be made in less than one year, Space Hockey is a pretty special game for something that can be made in less than a year. Lost Art Studios really is decades ahead of the competition when it comes to making space ship games, and some of the later games such as Territories, Mission, Clash of the Titans, and Struggle of the Ancients are truly revolutionary designs unlike any games that have ever existed before. Clash of the Titans, for example, would be the first strategy game in space that actually works as a strategy game rather than single “death ball” fleets of every ship on each side chasing each other around the map in what amounts to a completely broken game. It's hard to believe that nobody is interested in any of this, it really is... I really am living in the Twilight Zone.

I am still looking for a programmer who is interested in making Space Hockey, and using that to build into a commercial game company that makes space ship heavy sci-fi games and strategy war games. These games are light years ahead of any games ever made by the amateur game designers of the computer game industry. The basic, core function of their games are “child-like simple”. The way that their games fundamentally function traces their heritage to children's games like Candyland. This is why they practically revere Sid Meier as some genius that can't be rivaled. Civilization is “Axis & Allies II”, and from their perspective is a whole new level when compared too their Candyland-based games. Their arrogance makes them incapable of accepting this fact, and their 35 years of refusal to allow any “rock star game designers” (i.e. “educated professionals”) into their industry prevents them from learning anything beyond Candyland-level simulation design.

Our games will be very different, literally 50-100 years beyond what they do. Standing out among this crowd is such an easy thing to do that I could probably still do so after being given a lobotomy. Their arrogance makes them very, very easy targets. Becoming the dominant makers of both space ship games and strategy war games is not the impossibly epic challenge they try to make it out too be, in fact it would be almost impossible not to become that even if we tried our best to dumb ourselves down. Our Ruler & String/Avalon Hill/ADB based games are so far beyond what they do that we almost couldn't fail even if we tried our best to do so. So if anyone out there is interested in this, I am still looking for a programmer to get this started.

I am also still looking for just one person in the world who is willing to tell me what they think of the story of the PDU. I was certain that I couldn't lose this time around because I would at least find out what people think of the story. If I can't even succeed in finding a single person who is willing to tell me what they think of the story that I have spent 25 years writing, I can't even find a single person to do that... then there is something wrong with this world and I don't want to live in it anymore. I truly, sincerely, genuinely hope that I die sooner rather than later if that is the case. I don't even want to live in that world, there is something wrong with it.

Come too the Dark Side...

I am still looking for a programmer who is interested in very easily dominating the sci-fi space ship genre of the computer game industry. As any merely competent person would know, there is no competition for a former member of the Star Fleet Battles Staff among the 1st graders playing in the sand box (making Candyland-based games) of this business. This will be like shooting fish in a barrel.

Contrary to the many wildly inaccurate rantings at the end of my last thread that I was not allowed to respond too (cowards...), I was what your industry would term an “assistant designer” during the actual design phase of the final edition of SFB. My name appears in all of the core rules/products of the game such as Basic Set, Advanced Missions, and the Tactics Manual. Because of this, my name is among the most respected and well-known in the 40 year long history of the Star Fleet Universe. In that small world I am a celebrity among minor celebrities. I was also one of only four staff members ever actually hired by the company as a paid employee, and founded the tournament that became the most legendary “Den of Aces” in the entire SFB tournament system (which was second only to the World Chess Federation as table-top game tournaments go). Welcome back to reality.

If you think I am sounding harsh in this thread, I am merely speaking about them in the same exact manner that they have spoken too me for about 35 years now. For some reason it is perfectly acceptable for them to speak too me this way, but it is some type of affront against humanity for me to say the same exact things right back too them. The only real difference is that we are the actual educated, competent, and experienced ones and they are foot-stomping red-faced children who's fragile little egos cannot tolerate the presence of real game and simulation designers who predate them by centuries and shatter their delusional fantasy world of “Candyland Genius”.

If anyone is interested in being completely dominant in the space ship game genre I am still looking for a programmer to get this started. In about 35 years of trying they've never come anywhere within the remote vicinity of doing space ships well. It would be impossible to not succeed in this if we can get the games made, there is no competition for the SFB Staff when it comes to making space ship games. We aren't just in a different league, we are on a different planet... and any competent person would know that already.

E-Mail: kavik_kang@hotmail.com

Im going to give some feedback mainly due to the fact that I do think you deserve some feedback after that many post trying to get some response.

That being said, I am going to quite blunt now.

I do not think you will have much luck getting people on board unless you dial it down an notch. Thing is, given the way you sell your project as "best game in the world, easy" and "only looking for a programmer" sort of indicate that you do not have actual much game programming experience yourself. This is by no means a problem necessarily, however it gives people (well, at least me) a sneaky suspicion that you have no real measure of the amount of work you need done since otherwise you would simply have started programming the game yourself by now, and also that you will get very frustrated with the people joining the project when things do not turn out exactly as you are expecting. Nobody wants to play the blame game.

This is all guesswork but of-course but I would recommend to at least post some details of what kind of work you need help with to give people a reasonable chance to determine if they have any interest in helping out.

Also, you will have to expect that unless you will pay a nominal salary for hiring people the guys (or girls for that sake) that would join will expect to have their opinions and own design ideas for the project listened to and implemented. Unless you are willing to accept this (and from the post so far it seems you have very specific project and details in mind and might not) then paying for external help is the only option.

That would be my personal advice, and even if you might think it sounds harsh it actually only written to give my honest feedback as to why you are not receiving the amount  response you might have expected and some advice which might help you get a bit further

Edited by BG109
misspelling

Thank you, BG109.  I've always realized all of that.  I had tried everything else already, there was nothing else left to try.

I was actually coming to this thread to make one last post here.  I have ended my blog and given up spending a lot of time working on this.  40 years is enough of a life to waste on slamming my head against a brick wall.  While I will continue to work on both the story and games of the PDU as a hobby until I die, mostly because I want to someday complete the entire story just for myself, I am not going to waste any more time trying to explain just how far ahead of you we actually are.  It's never going to sink in, and it won't be long before the end result (The Matrix and a holodeck) of the entire history of simulation design dies with me and becomes lost knowledge that probably isn't ever coming back.

So, just as I will always hope to hear from anyone with any type of interest in the PDU, I will also always be interested in making Space Hockey.  Or any of my games.  Or any game.  So I am still here, and always will be as long as I am alive, but don't plan on wasting any more of my life on this.  40 years is enough wasted time for one lifetime.

An up-vote for the end result of 300 years of knowledge being lost to history... I think that really says it all.  I couldn't think of a more perfect response from this group of people.

4 hours ago, Kavik Kang said:

An up-vote for the end result of 300 years of knowledge being lost to history

The up vote is because your trying.

I think I could be interested but can't find the summery document for Space Hockey. Please provide a link.

43 minutes ago, Scouting Ninja said:

I think I could be interested but can't find the summery document for Space Hockey. Please provide a link.

At the bottom of this page: 

Note it's a top down 2D game, camera fixed to the playfield (he mentions those things a bit late in the doc) ;)