• Advertisement
Dave Haylett

C# WriteableBitmaps - Encoding and Decoding TIFF in memory only

I'm using WriteableBitmaps in my project, and the tiffbitmapencoder and tiffbitmapdecoder classes to save off and restore a certain large graphic file from a WriteableBitmap to hard disc (the image is too big for the PNGbitmapencoder/decoder).

This is working ok, but I'd like to encode to and decode from memory if possible, instead of having to save to disc. This is because, as part of the user experience this massive image can get wiped/cut down, and it takes a few precious seconds to reconstruct it again from scratch (which is also part of the user experience), but I can't afford the memory to just clone the whole image into another bitmap and clone it back again when needed, instead of rebuilding.

Compressing it to TIF and holding in memory until it's needed again seems a viable option, but currently I can only compress/decompress to/from a file on disc.

I've tried using MemoryStream instead of FileStream, and even though the encoder seems to like it, the decoder doesn't.

Is it possible for me to achieve this?

Advertisement
On 20.1.2018 at 1:15 PM, Dave Haylett said:

I've tried using MemoryStream instead of FileStream, and even though the encoder seems to like it, the decoder doesn't.

What was the error you achieved here?

Normally any .Net class that takes a stream is compatible with any stream so there should be no difference with MemoryStream against FileStream. You might have provided too few data for your in memory image or too few space

Hi Shaarigan. Thanks for your reply but I've decided to work around my issue by silently rebuilding the image in the background. The user only initially sees part of the image so I can kind of get away with it.