loading .x files to directx9

Started by
9 comments, last by Burnt_Fyr 6 years ago

i am new to directx. i just followed some tutorials online and started to program. It had been well till i faced this problem of loading my own 3d models from 3ds max exported as .x which is supported by directx. I am using c++ on visual studio 2010 and directX9. i really tried to find help on the net but i couldn't find which can solve my problem. i don't know where exactly the problem is. i run most of samples and examples all worked well. can anyone give me the hint or solution for my problem ?

thanks in advance!

Advertisement

you marked the thread as dx11, did you mean dx9?

Also, what exactly is the problem you are facing? do you get errors? does the model look different than you expected somehow?

Try loading a simple cube in the .x format first, debug and check that the values you parse from the .x file are what you expect. Always start simple

Yes i mean dx9

i have been using .x files from the windows system  (microsoft directX SDK i.e. tiny.x) in the program that works well. when i load the .x files i exported from the 3ds max 2016, i can't see anything though there is no error. maybe the exporter i am using is trial version that couldn't export fully, just my guess though.

should i use another 3d modeling software than 3ds max ?

i am a bit frustrated that i can't finish the virtual hospital with one doctor and patient in animation. if there are other ways please tell me.

i just want to display the hospital and animate the the two characters.

Did you try debugging the loaded data? The problem could also be in the rendering etc.

Crealysm game & engine development: http://www.crealysm.com

Looking for a passionate, disciplined and structured producer? PM me

the code compiles well. i just changed the .x file path.

I had the same problems many years ago.  3DS max does not export .x files very well, especially when you add animations.  I still use .x models from time to time but it is old technology now, so you will find very little help for your problem.  You can try using Blender (it's similar to 3ds max).

Another things to check is just open a .x file you exported and make sure there is something there.  If not, your export may not be working.  The only good exporter for 3ds max .x files was made by panda soft (I think, it's been awhile.)

thank you VMDan! i have been thinking about trying others.

i should try blender.

did you actually check the loaded data in the debugger like I suggested?

no offense, but moving to blender is not really solving the issue :)

Crealysm game & engine development: http://www.crealysm.com

Looking for a passionate, disciplined and structured producer? PM me

12 hours ago, derui said:

thank you VMDan! i have been thinking about trying others.

i should try blender.

As Cozzie mentioned above, switching to blender is avoiding the issue. And as iedoc said, start simple. Does the hospital load without the doctor and patient? if so does it render? there could be a handedness issue, but you said you don't see anything so i'm assuming that it is something else. Maybe your model has too many indices for the type(ushort vs uint) that holds them?

If you want to start with blender i do highly recommend it as a modelling /skinning/animation program. Start simple., get a cube working, and go from there.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement