• Advertisement
Josheir

C++ Targeting Different Platforms

3 hours ago, Mike2343 said:

You can also scale non-uniformly your 2D art assets to make them look better at whatever resolution too 

I am confused : say we are scaling the images up for a bigger monitor with a higher resolution.  What we're discussing is that we make these images bigger because there is more space on the display.  But, I don't think I necessarily want my artwork very huge.  Maybe I am misunderstanding this exactly, what were discussing?

Confused,

Josheir

Advertisement
29 minutes ago, Josheir said:

what is the resolution that your 4k is running this at?

4K is 3840 × 2160 pixels.  A 24 inch monitor running at 4K is great.  Two is even better.

You might want to consider the most common aspect ratio of displays these days is 16:9 because that's what most TV broadcasts are, so your display media (TVs, computers, tablets, phones) tend to be made to fit that.  That means 1080p and now at twice the dot-pitch, 2160p AKA 4K.

Gone are the days when you'd have an old bottle monitor showing 1024x768 with 96 PPI standing in for 72.27 points over a smaller value of an inch.  I think it's been over a decade since I've used one of those.

Why even use a fixed resolution these days?

The one thing mobile development has given the gaming world is scalable graphics that fit any screen size.

Just use the same rules used for mobile UI. Design your art as high as you can and scale it down from there. Scaling up should be done with a "Box" scale to keep pixel perfection (1 pixel ->4 pixels ->16 pixels etc.).

2 hours ago, Josheir said:

Swiftcoder, what is the size of this monitor in inches (high and wide,)  and what is the resolution that your 4k is running this at?   Also, what type of device is it for?

4k is a standard TV resolution, i.e. 2x 1080p in each direction, or 3840x2016.

My home monitor is 40" diagonal, but that's unusually large for a PC monitor. At work I use a 32" diagonal at the same resolution. Up until 2 years ago, I used a pair of 27" displays at 2560x1440 each.

These are all off-the-shelf PC monitors, and most standard PC monitors these days are similar, either 16:9 or 16:10 aspect ratio - 4:3 is only found on specialty pro displays at this point.

If you are planning to ship on Android or iOS, the mobile world is far more varied, not just in terms of resolutions and aspect ratios, but also in strange shape displays (such as the iPhone X "notch"). You'll have to deal with scaling your game, but also moving UI elements out of the way of mobile operating system affordances.

4 minutes ago, swiftcoder said:

My home monitor is 40" diagonal, but that's unusually large for a PC monitor. At work I use a 32" diagonal at the same resolution. Up until 2 years ago, I used a pair of 27" displays at 2560x1440 each.

Hmm...if the monitor is that big I don't understand why the 1024 x 768 would be so small?

4 hours ago, swiftcoder said:

At the very least you need to scale that 1024x768 up to the height of the monitor.

And do you mean the entire height of 2160 pixels, why exactly?

Thanks once again,

Josheir

36 minutes ago, Josheir said:

Hmm...if the monitor is that big I don't understand why the 1024 x 768 would be so small?

With a monitor that big you have to sit very far away in order to see the entire monitor (think about watching TV from a couch on the other side of the room). Text, for example, isn't going to be readable from that distance on such a small segment of the screen.

But more than that, it just isn't very enjoyable to play a game that makes the arbitrary decision that I should be using a monitor resolution from the 90's :)

39 minutes ago, Josheir said:

And do you mean the entire height of 2160 pixels, why exactly?

So that it fills as much of the display as possible. Everyone will still have black bars on 2 sides (since most monitors are widescreen), but at least I won't have black bars on all 4 sides that account for 87.5% of my pixels...

No one want's 87% of their monitor to be black for your game at it's non-standard aspect ratio is what we're basically saying.  I only have a 1080p monitor (2x27") and your game would only use ~75% of my screen.  Again, for someone like me running your game in a windowed mode, not full screen might be do-able.  But for swiftcoder it would be difficult to make anything out.  Think about it, his work monitor is only 32" which is only 5" larger than mine but he has basically 2x the pixel density.  You screen and art assets would be tiny.  You're most likely going to have to scale them up or redo them for modern displays or expect poor reviews.

I think scaling up with whole numbers and blacking the rest is the proper way to go. Then you'd have good looking graphics and use as much as possible of the monitors area.

I prefer having black bars to skewed graphics.

13 hours ago, Josheir said:

What you may be missing is that not all pixels are of equal size.

4K monitors have more dense pixels, ie each pixel is smaller so you get more pixels/inch. To get the same size images displayed (in inches of used screen size), the images must use more pixels, ie be bigger in x and y size.

The idea is that more pixels/inch means you can show more smaller details, eg anti-aliasing of text becomes better.

2 hours ago, Alberth said:

4K monitors have more dense pixels, ie each pixel is smaller so you get more pixels/inch

Yes, this.

Consider that a standard 1080p monitor at 24 inches has less than 100 PPI (pixels per inch). A MacBook has ~220 PPI. An iPhone X has 450 PPI. The Galaxy S6 has nearly 600 PPI.

That makes your 768 pixel tall game nearly 8 inches tall on the 1080p display, but only 1.2 inches tall on a the Galaxy S6.