• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
lucky6969b

Approximating a 4-variable function in Quadratic form

I am no math guru, but I have some math knowledge from high school.
The goal of this task is to approximate a 4-variable function in Quadratic form.
Let's say Mark is cooking some dinner for his family
The variables include:
1) His mood
2) The ambient temperature
3) The conditions of the cooking wares
4) The Quality of the food

We have about 50 samples, with one variable, I can easily develop a function in quadratic form or even higher degrees using convolution technique. but I am not sure how I can do the same thing with many variables? it is not straight a superpositional problem, right?

Edited by lucky6969b

Advertisement

What problem is he trying to solve, precisely? Predict the quality of the food given the other three variables?

18 hours ago, lucky6969b said:

it is not straight a superpositional problem, right?

Probably not in general, but given your specific inputs it might be. Mood as a scalar is likely linear or cubic, temperature is likely a square, cooking tools is likely cubic, and food quality is likely cubic. Those aren't particularly complicated decision surfaces to compose together.

If the results were more varied or in a more general case, and if you're looking to build a model to represent a wide variation of samples and a single scalar output, there are a few neural net techniques that could be used. 

Without knowing anything more of your problem than you described, you've got 4 scalar inputs, a scalar output, a smooth gradient decision surface, and 50 sample values containing all 5 values.  A back propagation network or RBF network could cover that, and there are plenty of existing libraries for them.  You've got a small number of samples to build from, but considering the simple nature of your decision surface it might be enough.