• Advertisement

C++ ECS: seeking advice on modeling a particular situation

Hello.

First, a bit of context. I'm having my first contact with the entity-component-system architectural pattern in the simple shoot'em up game I'm writing. I appreciate the flexibility and decoupling the pattern promotes. So far, I believe I have the basics down. I have already defined a handful of components and systems which operate based on them.

I'm now looking to add a cannon to the player's spaceship. I defined a Cannon component and attached it to the player entity (IOW, I "tagged" the player entity as having that capability). That component has a single member which indicates the cannon's rate of fire. Then I defined a PlayerWeapon system that is responsible for actually firing. At the moment, all it's doing is write a message to the console. Because no actual rate control is implemented yet, each press of the assigned fire button causes multiple messages to be output in quick succession. I would like to implement a sort of debouncing mechanism to have the fire rate respect what the cannon component dictates, e.g. fire once every 500ms.

Now for the actual question on ECS modeling. Suppose I'd use a simple elapsed time accumulator to decide when the next shot should be allowed to fire. Where would that information be stored? Should the system be responsible for managing that type of information? Or should systems be considered completely stateless? In that case, the accumulator would be stored in the cannon component, along with the existing fire rate. Would you kindly share some advice on how to handle a situation like the above? As stated, I'm new to ECS and would like to make sure I implement the concepts as properly as possible.

Thank you.

Advertisement
3 hours ago, Andre Zunino said:

As stated, I'm new to ECS and would like to make sure I implement the concepts as properly as possible.

There is no definitive guide to ECS.  Different people handle things differently.  Stop worrying about fitting things into a perfect design pattern and write working code around your data.

For example, I would not have made a PlayerWeapon system but a BulletWeapon/MissileWeapon/or just Weapon system that can handle it for all weapons in general or those specific types if you want to.  You could add another data point to the Cannon component that records the last tick it was fired on which the system can check when requested to fire again but ignores until the rate of fire has expired from the previous shot.  Then update the tick time and start over again.  Basically, if ( (current_tick - last_shot_tick ) < rate_of_fire ) then ignore requests to fire.

Thanks, Mike. Tutorial videos and articles on the topic corroborate your observation that there is no single way of implementing ECS. I guess I should just relax a bit and go with what works.

I will add the tick counter to my cannon component and be done with it.

Thanks again and I hope I can count on your input for future inquiries on ECS.

Best regards.

In this case your Cannon component acts as a context. If you have an ai that has a lot of world state in it(its context) you want to store there everything other components might need, like "lastTimeSincePatrol", it's still a podo, but you can think of it as a current state of the object. In your case you seem to think that the component is like read only. if you view your cannon component as a volatile context then you safely add into it "timeSinceLastShot" and the weapon system will operate on it accordingly. Then question arises if you have a Cannon component and then MissileLauncher component, would your weapon system have to if(getcomp<Cannon>().. else if(getcomp<Missile>()).. or you can just getcomps<Weapon>() , foreach weapon...

and then the Weapon component describes what it is internally, is it a cannon or missile and how big of difference it makes for weapon system, does it even care about the type? both have rate of fire, and all it cares is to launch according projectile.

Edited by AlexanderAntonov
spelling

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Advertisement
  • Advertisement
  • Popular Tags

• Advertisement
  • Popular Now

• Similar Content

• By isu diss
      I'm trying to duplicate vertices using std::map to be used in a vertex buffer. I don't get the correct index buffer(myInds) or vertex buffer(myVerts). I can get the index array from FBX but it differs from what I get in the following std::map code. Any help is much appreciated.
      struct FBXVTX { XMFLOAT3 Position; XMFLOAT2 TextureCoord; XMFLOAT3 Normal; }; std::map< FBXVTX, int > myVertsMap; std::vector<FBXVTX> myVerts; std::vector<int> myInds; HRESULT FBXLoader::Open(HWND hWnd, char* Filename, bool UsePositionOnly) { HRESULT hr = S_OK; if (FBXM) { FBXIOS = FbxIOSettings::Create(FBXM, IOSROOT); FBXM->SetIOSettings(FBXIOS); FBXI = FbxImporter::Create(FBXM, ""); if (!(FBXI->Initialize(Filename, -1, FBXIOS))) { hr = E_FAIL; MessageBox(hWnd, (wchar_t*)FBXI->GetStatus().GetErrorString(), TEXT("ALM"), MB_OK); } FBXS = FbxScene::Create(FBXM, "REALMS"); if (!FBXS) { hr = E_FAIL; MessageBox(hWnd, TEXT("Failed to create the scene"), TEXT("ALM"), MB_OK); } if (!(FBXI->Import(FBXS))) { hr = E_FAIL; MessageBox(hWnd, TEXT("Failed to import fbx file content into the scene"), TEXT("ALM"), MB_OK); } FbxAxisSystem OurAxisSystem = FbxAxisSystem::DirectX; FbxAxisSystem SceneAxisSystem = FBXS->GetGlobalSettings().GetAxisSystem(); if(SceneAxisSystem != OurAxisSystem) { FbxAxisSystem::DirectX.ConvertScene(FBXS); } FbxSystemUnit SceneSystemUnit = FBXS->GetGlobalSettings().GetSystemUnit(); if( SceneSystemUnit.GetScaleFactor() != 1.0 ) { FbxSystemUnit::cm.ConvertScene( FBXS ); } if (FBXI) FBXI->Destroy(); FbxNode* MainNode = FBXS->GetRootNode(); int NumKids = MainNode->GetChildCount(); FbxNode* ChildNode = NULL; for (int i=0; i<NumKids; i++) { ChildNode = MainNode->GetChild(i); FbxNodeAttribute* NodeAttribute = ChildNode->GetNodeAttribute(); if (NodeAttribute->GetAttributeType() == FbxNodeAttribute::eMesh) { FbxMesh* Mesh = ChildNode->GetMesh(); if (UsePositionOnly) { NumVertices = Mesh->GetControlPointsCount();//number of vertices MyV = new XMFLOAT3[NumVertices]; for (DWORD j = 0; j < NumVertices; j++) { FbxVector4 Vertex = Mesh->GetControlPointAt(j);//Gets the control point at the specified index. MyV[j] = XMFLOAT3((float)Vertex.mData[0], (float)Vertex.mData[1], (float)Vertex.mData[2]); } NumIndices = Mesh->GetPolygonVertexCount();//number of indices MyI = (DWORD*)Mesh->GetPolygonVertices();//index array } else { FbxLayerElementArrayTemplate<FbxVector2>* uvVertices = NULL; Mesh->GetTextureUV(&uvVertices); int idx = 0; for (int i = 0; i < Mesh->GetPolygonCount(); i++)//polygon(=mostly triangle) count { for (int j = 0; j < Mesh->GetPolygonSize(i); j++)//retrieves number of vertices in a polygon { FBXVTX myVert; int p_index = 3*i+j; int t_index = Mesh->GetTextureUVIndex(i, j); FbxVector4 Vertex = Mesh->GetControlPointAt(p_index);//Gets the control point at the specified index. myVert.Position = XMFLOAT3((float)Vertex.mData[0], (float)Vertex.mData[1], (float)Vertex.mData[2]); FbxVector4 Normal; Mesh->GetPolygonVertexNormal(i, j, Normal); myVert.Normal = XMFLOAT3((float)Normal.mData[0], (float)Normal.mData[1], (float)Normal.mData[2]); FbxVector2 uv = uvVertices->GetAt(t_index); myVert.TextureCoord = XMFLOAT2((float)uv.mData[0], (float)uv.mData[1]); if ( myVertsMap.find( myVert ) != myVertsMap.end() ) myInds.push_back( myVertsMap[ myVert ]); else { myVertsMap.insert( std::pair<FBXVTX, int> (myVert, idx ) ); myVerts.push_back(myVert); myInds.push_back(idx); idx++; } } } } } } } else { hr = E_FAIL; MessageBox(hWnd, TEXT("Failed to create the FBX Manager"), TEXT("ALM"), MB_OK); } return hr; } bool operator < ( const FBXVTX &lValue, const FBXVTX &rValue) { if (lValue.Position.x != rValue.Position.x) return(lValue.Position.x < rValue.Position.x); if (lValue.Position.y != rValue.Position.y) return(lValue.Position.y < rValue.Position.y); if (lValue.Position.z != rValue.Position.z) return(lValue.Position.z < rValue.Position.z); if (lValue.TextureCoord.x != rValue.TextureCoord.x) return(lValue.TextureCoord.x < rValue.TextureCoord.x); if (lValue.TextureCoord.y != rValue.TextureCoord.y) return(lValue.TextureCoord.y < rValue.TextureCoord.y); if (lValue.Normal.x != rValue.Normal.x) return(lValue.Normal.x < rValue.Normal.x); if (lValue.Normal.y != rValue.Normal.y) return(lValue.Normal.y < rValue.Normal.y); return(lValue.Normal.z < rValue.Normal.z); }  
    • By Karol Plewa
      Hi, 

I am working on a project where I'm trying to use Forward Plus Rendering on point lights. I have a simple reflective scene with many point lights moving around it. I am using effects file (.fx) to keep my shaders in one place. I am having a problem with Compute Shader code. I cannot get it to work properly and calculate the tiles and lighting properly. 

Is there anyone that is wishing to help me set up my compute shader?
      Thank you in advance for any replies and interest!
    • By fishyperil
      I'm looking for some references that could help me learn how to program some really basic 2D enemy behaviours.
      I wasn't sure whether to post this here or in the AI section but I think it might be more suitable to be posted here since it has more to do with basic maths than any AI related algorithms.
      Could anyone help recommend some resources (books, posts, videos) that could help me understand how to properly implement the basics of enemy movement in 2d games ? So far I've only managed to get them to chase the player character and to stop moving on collision, but the movement is pretty unrealistic and once the collision occurs the enemies all "pile up" on the player character. I'm doing this in C++ so no guides that explain how to script this using an engine api please.
    • By LifeArtist
      Good Evening,
      I want to make a 2D game which involves displaying some debug information. Especially for collision, enemy sights and so on ...
      First of I was thinking about all those shapes which I need will need for debugging purposes: circles, rectangles, lines, polygons.
      I am really stucked right now because of the fundamental question:
      Where do I store my vertices positions for each line (object)? Currently I am not using a model matrix because I am using orthographic projection and set the final position within the VBO. That means that if I add a new line I would have to expand the "points" array and re-upload (recall glBufferData) it every time. The other method would be to use a model matrix and a fixed vbo for a line but it would be also messy to exactly create a line from (0,0) to (100,20) calculating the rotation and scale to make it fit.
      If I proceed with option 1 "updating the array each frame" I was thinking of having 4 draw calls every frame for the lines vao, polygons vao and so on. 
      In addition to that I am planning to use some sort of ECS based architecture. So the other question would be:
      Should I treat those debug objects as entities/components?
      For me it would make sense to treat them as entities but that's creates a new issue with the previous array approach because it would have for example a transform and render component. A special render component for debug objects (no texture etc) ... For me the transform component is also just a matrix but how would I then define a line?
      Treating them as components would'nt be a good idea in my eyes because then I would always need an entity. Well entity is just an id !? So maybe its a component?
      Regards,
      LifeArtist
  • Advertisement