HEXNET : looking for some feedback

Started by
7 comments, last by Scouting Ninja 6 years, 2 months ago

screenshot1.jpgscreenshot2.jpgHello,

im looking for some feedback about my latest experiment .

You can find it here :
http://www.honny.net/hexnet
But please before to do that take some minutes to read what follow.

In all my previous projects i have always used C language ( C not C++ ), yes i am a very old person.

Some time ago I felt the need to “evolve” in some way, I cant say why exactly.

To be honest in C i have always been able to find a way to solve a problem by myself or a library for a specific task.

Of consequence all this stuff about OOP and Classes was really new to me.

To test this experience i have used Processing.

From what i have understood this was the fastest ( and easiest ) way to setup this kind of project.

Well, if you are reading this you have already understood that this is not really a "complete game",

just a minimalist minesweeper-like similar to the "mini hack" sub-games that you can find in major titles.

Keep in mind that the main goal was to make some experience with basic stuff like :

setup a project

learning OOP and Classes
basic drawing and images loading

handling user input

etc...

UPDATE 11/02/2018 : updated new game version and added some screenshots !!!

UPDATE 03/02/2018 : now it exist AT LEAST a path to complete the game :-)

Advertisement

This is only a concept demo, and the gameplay could be a little boring.

Some ideas to add to the gameplay could be:

-Add a mission timer countdown

-Add some kind of reward for every successful network compromised that you can "spend" to :

a)buy some useable in-game items ( es : health recovery, random uncover of viruses or storages, etc... )

b)buy some upgrade for your computer ( es : more ram= more damage, more hdd = more health, etc...)

-Add a player level, for every mission sucessfull completed  user level is increased and the next map will have more empty cells or more hidden viruses or storages)

-and every suggestion you could give me !!!  :-)

It plays well but it's too random. My games where either nowhere near possible or I found it by just clicking away the orange points.

Also my first game started in the corner, I had to click away the two points to move and found the network after that and didn't have enough points to win, both points I clicked I had to. This could be a error on your code that checks that every game can be won.

Maybe when a person hacks one of the stop points it should show a arrow in the right direction for a short time. Having some kind of recovery option would also be nice.

On 2/2/2018 at 11:28 AM, Scouting Ninja said:

It plays well but it's too random. My games where either nowhere near possible or I found it by just clicking away the orange points.

Also my first game started in the corner, I had to click away the two points to move and found the network after that and didn't have enough points to win, both points I clicked I had to. This could be a error on your code that checks that every game can be won.

Maybe when a person hacks one of the stop points it should show a arrow in the right direction for a short time. Having some kind of recovery option would also be nice.

Thanks for your answer.

After your observation i have little modified the code so now in every game there is at least a path to win :-)

That was not a faulty code but...  i was just not thinking about this case scenario, I am glad to have posted it here !!! :-P

For some "recovery" items ok, for the direction suggestion a big NO ( we dont want make it too easy, sometimes you have to lose :-P )

Anyway this will be a future implementation, im waiting for more suggestions and critiques from you guys.

Hi, finally had time to try it again.

It is much more playable now. However it means that it does get a bit boring.

Spoiler

I would like to see some real choices, like finding to paths to the goal but one is longer and the other shorter. A gate blocks both paths with the shorter one more expensive and the longer one cheaper,

The player then has to choose between paying more for the short cut or taking the long cheaper way but risking discovery of a new gate.

At the moment it feels too random whether the level will be fun or not.

Maybe have some kind level designed parts, that are dropped in at random. A difficulty curve would also be nice.

A control improvement: you could allow for the player just to hold down the button when selecting orange blocks, the click-click thing takes too long. Having things move faster will help make it more fun.

The game is very good,, a fun little thing to pass the time. The size of the board also allows me to play it on mobile, although not so smooth.

On 5/2/2018 at 4:12 AM, Scouting Ninja said:

Hi, finally had time to try it again.

It is much more playable now. However it means that it does get a bit boring.

Maybe have some kind level designed parts, that are dropped in at random. A difficulty curve would also be nice.

A control improvement: you could allow for the player just to hold down the button when selecting orange blocks, the click-click thing takes too long. Having things move faster will help make it more fun.

The game is very good,, a fun little thing to pass the time. The size of the board also allows me to play it on mobile, although not so smooth.

I have update a "revamped" version of the game

1) as you suggested for the learning curve :

-there are now 8 "levels" ( 1-2-3 are just a sort of "tutorial" with 0 difficulty )

2) as you suggested for control improvement :

-you can now hold down the mouse to uncover ORANGE nodes

Anyway keep in mind that i have added a LOT of stuff, so there can be many errors, bugs, etc...

PLEASE tell me if you find any of them :-)

Thanks !!!

Added a couple of screenshots in the first post to give you an idea of what the game looks like.

The art gives a much better sense of what things is about now. Really like it.

No bugs where found and the game was very fun. The timer really helps with the mood.

You can be a bit more strict with the difficulty curve, especially with so few levels. The first two levels gave more than enough time to get use to things.  Things have improved a lot from the first.

Really good; when I was done I was left wanting more. This is a great concept you have here; with some expansion it will make a fantastic  game.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement