Multiplayer Pac-man Challenge

Started by
62 comments, last by DexterZ101 6 years ago

I just started to work on this challenge as of Saturday. My GameDev blog: 

will show my progress as I aim to complete this challenge before the end of March. So far I have the basic concept down, and a 3D concept for the bad guys. I missed the last GameDev challenge sadly, so I really want to finish this one!

@Endurion how is your game coming along?

Programmer and 3D Artist

Advertisement

Better than thought actually. I've decided to scrap the pure Pacman approach and basically port an existing game from C64 to PC  (Get 'em DX)

Fruny: Ftagn! Ia! Ia! std::time_put_byname! Mglui naflftagn std::codecvt eY'ha-nthlei!,char,mbstate_t>

I used these resources slightly modified for Pacmanjs:

Sounds: http://www.classicgaming.cc/classics/pac-man/sounds

Sprite: https://www.spriters-resource.com/nes/pacman/sheet/15839/

Hope these help if somebody is looking resources for their pacman game.

Ghost AI is all done, working on the network side,  still having some difficulties synchronizing the state off all Ghosts and Players on a 4 players mode T _ T Hope to post an update soon.

EDIT : So far this what I have... Time to do the game mechanics network & AI are all done ^ _^ Y
         the actual gameplay is smooth it just software recording ive used that makes it look slow .

Nice job!

Programmer and 3D Artist

7 hours ago, Rutin said:

Nice job!

Thanks Bro ^_^y Since this is a Multiplayer challenge I heavily concentrate on the network side auto client detection of created games across sub-net with client prediction to make client players have a smooth game play experience and finally I managed to send clients input into 5 bytes only : - D  still got 25 days to go to polish the game.

You did a great job. I'm looking forward to seeing what changes you make, and also what you come up with for future challenges.

Programmer and 3D Artist

I'm nearly done on the game. Just my DX11 renderer is acting up when alt-tabbing from Fullscreen. This IDXGISwapChain thing is butt ugly finicky.

Fruny: Ftagn! Ia! Ia! std::time_put_byname! Mglui naflftagn std::codecvt eY'ha-nthlei!,char,mbstate_t>

1 hour ago, Endurion said:

I'm nearly done on the game. Just my DX11 renderer is acting up when alt-tabbing from Fullscreen. This IDXGISwapChain thing is butt ugly finicky.

Nice! Hopefully everything works out for you. :) Cannot wait to see the finished product.

Programmer and 3D Artist

Just to be sure to have an entry up in time, here's my game, Get 'em Good!

It's a clone of my C64 game, with almost completely original graphics and music, the latter not done by me.
Play alone or in coop mode (one score and one extra pickup counter for both). Eat all dots, fight monsters, get the key and unlock the exit. Monster grow stronger and faster when advancing stages. Your only chance to survive is to kill enemies and gather pickups to get stronger yourself. To activate an extra gather 9 pieces of the same item. The player that collects the 9th extra gets the power up :)
Most power ups stack, so keep collecting!

The stages are randomly created, so every game is different. The download is here: Download Here

Have fun and let me know if you experience problems! 

Edit: updated the archive with the game source (not the common lib code though)

PS: Refrain from alt-tabbing in fullscreen. It's hilariously broken. If you reach that state you may want to delete the xtreme.cfg file in %APPDATA%/Roaming/GR Games/GetEmGood. Sorry!

Aftermath: That full screen problem is really annoying. Everything that worked fine and was easy to do in DX8 and 9 is now obsolete and the behaviour of IDXGISwapChain is utterly broken. Whatever you do, never Alt-tab in full screen. It stuffs up the window.

5ab00e8957bef_GetemGood!19_03.201820_12_57.png.ec0ba4981d825e96eb32fcddf01df2db.png

5ab00e89bf9af_GetemGood!19_03.201820_13_33.png.c03e23c4d3fe8e75f9a8882163da0f14.png

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement