• Advertisement
Travis Meyer

DX11 Persistent DXGI_ERROR_DRIVER_INTERNAL_ERROR Error on Some Intel Chipsets

I am having trouble with the graphics device disconnecting with the reason DXGI_ERROR_DRIVER_INTERNAL_ERROR on some of our devices after our game terminal has been running for a few hours. Specifically the Intel HD 530, though a few of the other Intel based GPUs will crash as well. The odd thing is that the same code will run indefinitely on the same computers if we put in a discreet card. It also runs without any problem on other Intel chipsets, even those that are quite a bit older. We have tried the basics like Windows updates and getting the latest drivers from Intel. We have also verified that this is not a computer-specific problem, as the problem persists across different computers with the same  build.

I have tried adding ID3D11DeviceContext::Flush calls by resource creation as suggested by https://software.intel.com/en-us/forums/graphics-driver-bug-reporting/topic/610376 with no apparent help. I have also verified that no graphics handles are being  held onto for a very long time, and our GPU memory usage never gets much above 400 Mb, which should be well within the ability of an integrated card to handle. We actually wrote a watchdog application to monitor that, and the usually the device is removed while the memory is lower than normal.

I'm having a hard time finding any resources that would help us find the root problem, as DXGI_ERROR_DRIVER_INTERNAL_ERROR is not a very helpful error message. 

We are using the DirectX 11 api, and run on a variety of Windows based computers, including both all in ones and desktops. 

I would appreciate any help or ideas anyone has, as we haven't been able to make much forward progress even after a few weeks of intensive debugging and engine changes. 

Advertisement

Hi, it 'COULD' be a bug in the intel HD drivers.  You may have to try and 'by-pass' the problem by trying different things which produce the same result.  I totally understand if this is not possible.  You could also narrow down the problem with a very small program that demonstrates this bug and post in on the intel community forum.  https://communities.intel.com/community/tech/graphics  .This may not be enough though.  The reason I say this is because I've 'battled' with intel HD drivers it the past.  Some years ago I had a commercial program I was working on that would crash on certain HD graphics laptops.  After much investigation I found it was pretty much a bug in their HD drivers. I posted on the intel forum with a small DirectX source code app which demonstrated this and although I got other 'non staff' members agreeing with me, I never got agreement from intel themselves.

Out of interest, I'm currently battling weird 'Out of video memory' errors on a computer with an intel HD 530 but works fine on other graphics cards ;)

I'm not against Intel, I think their HD graphics have brought fast 3D graphics to many low budget computers and laptops - but their drivers are a bit unreliable.  You only have to read their forum to realise this.

Thanks