• Advertisement

DX11 GPU Skinning Problem

Hello,

I have a Problem with GPU Skinning, I load from a COLLADA File my object with the vertices and the weights and bone indices for it and the bones with the matrices.

For every vertex I choose 4 weights and 4 bone indices.

For every non skin vertex i choose by the weights 1 0 0 0 and bone indices 0 0 0 0 (In the Bone Matrices Array is index 0 a Matrix Idetity)

And i check up if all weights values together is always 1 or i calculate it to 1.

So far so good, my Shader looks like this:

bool HasBones;
matrix BoneMatrices[256];

struct Vertex
{
  float3 Position  : POSITION;
  float3 Normal    : NORMAL;
  float2 UV        : TEXCOORD0;
  float3 Tangent   : TANGENT;
  float4 Weights   : WEIGHTS;
  int4 BoneIndices : BONEINDICES;
};

float4 ApplyBoneTransform(Vertex input, float4 value)
{
 if(HasBones)
 {
	float4x4 skinTransform = (float4x4)0;
	skinTransform += BoneMatrices[input.BoneIndices.x] * input.Weights.x;
	skinTransform += BoneMatrices[input.BoneIndices.y] * input.Weights.y;
	skinTransform += BoneMatrices[input.BoneIndices.z] * input.Weights.z;
	skinTransform += BoneMatrices[input.BoneIndices.w] * input.Weights.w;

float4 position = mul(value, skinTransform);

return position;
 }
 else
   return value;
}

Pixel vertexShader(Vertex input)
{ 
 Pixel result = (Pixel) 0;

float4 posWorld = mul(ApplyBoneTransform(input, float4(input.Position.xyz, 1.0f)), World);
 result.Position = mul(mul(posWorld, View), Projection);
 result.Normal = normalize(mul(ApplyBoneTransform(input, float4(input.Normal.xyz, 1.0f)), WorldIT));
 result.UV = input.UV;
 result.View = ViewInverse[3] - mul(float4(input.Position.xyz, 1.0f), World);
 result.Tangent = normalize(mul(ApplyBoneTransform(input, float4(input.Tangent.xyz, 1.0f)), WorldIT).xyz);
 result.Binormal = normalize(cross(input.Normal, input.Tangent));

return result;
}

And if i set HasBones to true, my object will not draw right anymore, i only see two dark triangles :(

I believe it depends on the bone matrices i load from the controller_lib of the COLLADA File and send it to the BoneMatrices in the shader + at the index 0 the Matrix Idetity.

Has anyone an Idea what I make wrong and could help and explain me it?

And i upload to this post the Collada file and images of the object draw in HasBones = false and HasBones = true

Greets

Benajmin

Model.dae

01.jpg

02.jpg

Advertisement

You do linear interpolation of multiple matrices which makes no sense here.

You should transform the vertex by each matrix, and lerp the resulting vectors instead.

But to do so, you first need to transform the vertex into the local bone space instead, so you typically store 2 matrices for each bone. One (static) that transforms to bone space, and another (animated) that transforms the result back to world space.

Something like this:

EDIT: Hey - who upvoted this nonsense? Maybe crossing out helps :P   

See turanszkijs response below instead!

vec os = currentVertexPosInObjectSpace;
	vec ws (0); // result
	for each affecting bone {
	int i = bone.matrixIndex;
	vec v = ObjectSpaceToBoneMatrices[i].Transform(os); // sadly this is necessary so the vertex knows it position relative to each bone
	v = AnimatedBoneInWorlsSpaceMatricws[i].Transform(v); // but knowing that, we can transform now to world space for this bone
	ws += v * bone.weight; // sum up weighted results
	}

Edited by JoeJ

Unfortunately this problem needs to be debugged. What helped me is loading a very simple model (I see you are already using a box so that should be fine) and very simple bone structure. Debug that your bone matrices are correct by drawing simple lines with each transform matrix. the lines should form a skeleton when correct.

The most common mistakes done is messing up the order of matrix multiplications of Scale*Rotate*Translate as well as bone hierarchy order, and there is also the need of multiplying with a t-pose relative matrix (inverse t-pose), and all these need to be in the correct order. Also HLSL expects matrices to be in column major order, while your application side math library might produce row-major matrices, so maybe they should either be pre-transposed, or reverse the multiplication order.

The shader you posted doesn't seem too bad at first look, though normal and tangent vectors probably shouldn't be set their w component to avoid applying translations to them. Also I noticed that you are adding your matrices together and multiplying by the bone weights. That should produce correct results, but less operations are performed if you would perform vector transformations first and then multiplying the vector with the weight, then finally adding the vectors together. The result should be the about same (if we don't consider floating point accuracy) but achieved faster. You also don't have to use a 4x4 matrix, 3x4 is perfectly enough, but set the 4th row to (0,0,0,1). 

You can check out my skinning shader for reference: https://github.com/turanszkij/WickedEngine/blob/master/WickedEngine/skinningCS.hlsl

Good luck, it is a very rewarding experience once you manage to correct it! :)

17 minutes ago, JoeJ said:

You do linear interpolation of multiple matrices which makes no sense here.

You should transform the vertex by each matrix, and lerp the resulting vectors instead.

But to do so, you first need to transform the vertex into the local bone space instead, so you typically store 2 matrices for each bone. One (static) that transforms to bone space, and another (animated) that transforms the result back to world space.

Something like this:

vec os = currentVertexPosInObjectSpace;
	vec ws (0); // result
	for each affecting bone {
	int i = bone.matrixIndex;
	vec v = ObjectSpaceToBoneMatrices[i].Transform(os); // sadly this is necessary so the vertex knows it position relative to each bone
	v = AnimatedBoneInWorlsSpaceMatricws[i].Transform(v); // but knowing that, we can transform now to world space for this bone
	ws += v * bone.weight; // sum up weighted results
	}

You can do the linear interpolation of matrices fine, the result is the same, just results in more operations. Also, you can premultiply the bone matrices with the relative "objectspaceToBoneMatrix" matrix on the application side and only send one bone matrix to the shader.

Edited by turanszkij

1 minute ago, turanszkij said:

there is also the need of multiplying with a t-pose relative matrix (inverse t-pose)

This is what i mean with ObjectSpaceToBoneMatrices (to avoid any confusion)

You calc that by the inverse transform of the bone in rest pose

4 minutes ago, turanszkij said:

You can do the linear interpolation of matrices fine, the result is the same, just results in more operations. Also, you can premultiply the bone matrices with the relative "objectspaceToBoneMatrix" matrix on the application side and only send one bone matrix to the shader.

Ooops - you're right. And i've forgotten about the 'trick' to premultiply... embrassing :D

Thank you for your answers guys,

@turanszkij With Draw the Bones to see the Skeleton, i did this already, to check if i load the bone matrices correct. see the image.

I take the postion of each Bone and draw a line to the next child postion.

But i see only a right skeleton result if i invert every single bone matrix.

And do you mean with t-pose the bind pose matrix?

And befor i send the boneMatrices Array to the Shader, here is the code how i collect them

public Matrix CalculateMatrixFromParents(Joint joint, Matrix world)
        		{
            	if (joint.Parent != null)
            	{
                	world *= CalculateMatrixFromParents(joint.Parent, joint.Parent.Matrix);
                	return world;
              	}
              	else
                	return joint.Matrix;
          		}

public List<Matrix> GetBoneMatrices()
            {
                List<Matrix> boneMatrices = new List<Matrix>();
                boneMatrices.Add(Matrix.Identity);

foreach (Joint joint in this.bones)
                {
                    Matrix m = this.CalculateMatrixFromParents(joint, Matrix.Identity);
                    boneMatrices.Add(m);
                }

return boneMatrices;
             }

I am not really math genius , but i hope i will understand your explain?

Greets

Benjamin

03.jpg

Edited by B. /

You could try inspecting the shader bone data in a graphics debugger, if the contents of it match the bone data on the application side. Nvidia Nsight or the visual studio graphics debugger are good choices.

11 hours ago, B. / said:

foreach (Joint joint in this.bones) { Matrix m = this.CalculateMatrixFromParents(joint, Matrix.Identity); boneMatrices.Add(m); }

To me it looks like you do not take the rest/t-pose/bind-pose (however we call it) into account here.

It might look somehow like this (assuming the matrices in your current code are the animated ones):

foreach (Joint joint in this.bones) {

Matrix m = this.CalculateMatrixFromParents(joint, Matrix.Identity* joint.bindPoseWorldSpaceMatrix.Inversed();

boneMatrices.Add(m); }

You should get this right after some trial and error usually.

Your shader however is potentially inefficient, because each thread may store 4 matrices in registers, that's 4*16 = 64 alone for that, which is a lot.

To get 100% occupancy on AMD you should only use 24 IIRC, NV varies but is similar.

To achieve this, you should transform the position by each matrix in order (as already said), so the compiler has the option to have just 1 or 2 matrices in registers at the same time. And you should transform position and normal in one go of course, otherwise the compiler will likely decide to store them all to have them available for the normal. (Also, using subfunctions almost always has a cost the last time i checked - it seems compilers are too stupid to inline the code, better do it yourself.)

This is said just to be nit-picking. The matrices likely end up in fast constant ram, so storing all 4 in registers might not be necessary and my proposed optimization would have no effect in practice. But you never really know how different GPUs / compilers handle this and thinking of it is often no extra work. (optimizing for low register usage is usually also better than optimizing for less instructions.) 

Edited by JoeJ

Hi Guys,

thank you for your answers, today i had also test loading weights/matrices per vertex in assimp, to test, if i dont make a mistake by loading the datas. The matrices was right, but the weights per vertex was different and the draw result was still wrong, but very better as mine.

The strange thing only was in the collada file say vcount, the first vertex has 2 weights and the second has 3 weights ...

But assimp load for the fist vertex 3 weights and for the second 2 weights. So i thought, maybe i dont right understand the docu of the collada file, to set the right weights and bone indices to the right vertex maybe?

<source id="pCube1Controller-Weights">
          <float_array id="pCube1Controller-Weights-array" count="33">

1.000000 0.989534 0.009756 0.708022 0.289010 0.002968 0.989518 0.009771 0.708398 0.288669 0.002933 0.989525 0.009771 0.708446 0.288689 0.002866
0.989540 0.009756 0.708070 0.289030 0.002900 0.004697 0.497651 0.497651 0.003326 0.498337 0.498337 0.004704 0.497648 0.497648 0.003331 0.498334
0.498334</float_array>
          <technique_common>
            <accessor source="#pCube1Controller-Weights-array" count="33">
              <param type="float"/>
            </accessor>
          </technique_common>
        </source>

<vertex_weights count="12">
          <input semantic="JOINT" offset="0" source="#pCube1Controller-Joints"/>
          <input semantic="WEIGHT" offset="1" source="#pCube1Controller-Weights"/>
          <vcount>2 3 2 3 2 3 2 3 3 3 3 3</vcount>
          <v>0 1 1 2 0 3 1 4 2 5 0 6 1 7 0 8 1 9 2 10 0 11 1 12 0 13 1 14 2 15 0 16 1 17 0 18 1 19 2 20 0 21 1 22 2 23 0 24 1 25 2 26 0 27 1 28 2 29 0 30 1 31 2 32</v>
        </vertex_weights>

Here is the code how i set the Weights and Bone Indices to the vertices:

InfluencesWeightsPerVertex = VCount List

1+ wCounterIndex, because the first Weight in the Weights Array is an extra Weights

RemoveRange, because i create a Vertex by default Weights 1 0 0 0, Bone Indices 0 0 0 0 (Index 0 = Matrix Idetity)

Insert Range because of insert the loaded values in the list

int vertexIndex = 0;
                        int wCounterIndex = 0;

// Set Vertex Weights and Bone Indices
                        foreach (int item in InfluencesWeightsPerVertex)
                        {
                            List<float> weights = skinClusterWeights.GetRange(1 + wCounterIndex, item);
                            List<int> boneIndices = new List<int>();

for (int i = 0; i < (item * 2); i += 2)
                                boneIndices.Add(vertexJointsWeightsIndices[i + wCounterIndex] + 1);

if (weights.Count > 4)
                                weights.RemoveRange(4, weights.Count - 4);

if (boneIndices.Count > 4)
                                boneIndices.RemoveRange(4, boneIndices.Count - 4);

// Normalize all weights to 1
                            float factor = 0;

foreach (float weight in weights)
                                factor += weight;

factor = 1.0f / factor;

for (int i = 0; i < weights.Count; i++ )
                                weights[i] = factor * weights[i];

Vertex vertex = geometry.Vertices[vertexIndex];
                            vertex.Weights.RemoveRange(0, weights.Count);
                            vertex.Weights.InsertRange(0, weights);
                            vertex.BoneIndices.RemoveRange(0, boneIndices.Count);
                            vertex.BoneIndices.InsertRange(0, boneIndices);

geometry.Vertices[vertexIndex] = vertex;

vertexIndex++;
                            wCounterIndex += item;
                        }

Can you check up my code and see, if my way to load the datas for skinning is right, that we can exclude this?

Greets

Benjamin

16 hours ago, turanszkij said:

You could try inspecting the shader bone data in a graphics debugger, if the contents of it match the bone data on the application side. Nvidia Nsight or the visual studio graphics debugger are good choices.

Hi,

if the Bone Data/Matrices would be wrong, than the draw of the skeleton lines would be wrong too, right?

Edited by B. /

Maybe assimp is set up to optimize for better vertex caching and so changes the order of vertices?

When i came across collada, i noticed each app seems to have its own interpretation of the standard, and it was not really a good format to exchange things, especially when skinning is involved. :(

I would create a simple model like the box just proceduraly only from code to be sure the data is right. You could also do CPU skinning for reference. Some work, but such code may be reusable for the next issue and on the long run i prefer this against frustrating GPU debugging. 

3 hours ago, JoeJ said:

Maybe assimp is set up to optimize for better vertex caching and so changes the order of vertices?

When i came across collada, i noticed each app seems to have its own interpretation of the standard, and it was not really a good format to exchange things, especially when skinning is involved. :(

I would create a simple model like the box just proceduraly only from code to be sure the data is right. You could also do CPU skinning for reference. Some work, but such code may be reusable for the next issue and on the long run i prefer this against frustrating GPU debugging.

Hi Joe,

which Format would be the best for GPU Skinning, maybe FBX?

And I believe i know where my mistake is, i see in the collada file the count of vertex weights is 12, but my elbow cube has total 60 vertices

The other 48 vertices has only Weights 1 0 0 0 and Indices of 0 0 0 0 Matrix Idetity.

But thats wrong because i skin every single vertices on the 3 bones and so assimp also import weights on all vertices, but how do i calculate this from the only 12 given vcounts, that only say how many weights/bones has a vertex??????????????

And for CPU Skinning i would need a origin Vertex List and transform these and set it to the vertexbuffer for every fps?

Greets

Benjamin

Edited by B. /

1 hour ago, B. / said:

which Format would be the best for GPU Skinning, maybe FBX?

Seems better, yes. But i'm totally no expert with file formats. There are many shipped games using collada - i would not drop this if you already invested some time. Maybe the missing data is stored elsewhere in the file? Maybe open a new collada related topic so people knowing better can help. (Say also which modelng app you use then.)

1 hour ago, B. / said:

And for CPU Skinning i would need a origin Vertex List and transform these and set it to the vertexbuffer for every fps?

Yes, but performance does not matter - just to proof you have correct data and your algorithm is right if you can't get it to work otherwise. (I have a debug visualization class that buffers lines, point or polygons with given color and drwas once per frame. This would do and is very useful for pretty much anything.)

Hi Joel,

I found my mistake, the 12 vertex weights was linked with the 12 vertices pos array of the file and now i get the same result as assimp :)

So now i load the weigths and Bone Indices right and if i only send Matrix Identitys to the shader, the model will draw correct.

Send I the origin bone matrices, that i load from the file, I get a Science-Fiction effect by drawing the model. See image

So the last thing to do is now to send the right transformed matrices to the shader.

Here the code how i send these to the shader (The BindPose Matrix is invert and the result is a Matrix Idetity)

{
                    Matrix m = MatrixHelper.CalculateMatrixFromParents(joint, Matrix.Identity);
                    boneMatrices.Add(m * this.bindPoseMatrix);
                }

return boneMatrices;

Anyone an idea how to solve the last stept?

Greets

Benjamin

03.jpg

Try to transpose the matrix coming from file (row major vs. column major convention issue)

Try to reverse multiplication order of both matrices (unlikely)

Try combining both approaches.

Trial and error fun :)

Edited by JoeJ

That only bring a new strange effect, :( see image

Heres again my code

Engine Code

public static Matrix CalculateMatrixFromParents(Joint joint, Matrix world)
        {
            {
                world = CalculateMatrixFromParents(joint.Parent, joint.Parent.Transform.Matrix) * world;
                return world;
            }
            else
                return joint.Transform.Matrix;
        }

if (this.bones.Count != 0)
                {

{
                        Matrix m = MatrixHelper.CalculateMatrixFromParents(joint, Matrix.Identity);
                        m.Transpose();
                        boneMatrices.Add(m * this.bindPoseMatrix);
                    }
                }

return boneMatrices;

Shader Code

float4 ApplyBoneTransform(Vertex input, float4 value)
{
 if(HasBones)
 {
	float4x4 skinTransform = (float4x4)0;
	skinTransform += BoneMatrices[input.BoneIndices.x] * input.Weights.x;
	skinTransform += BoneMatrices[input.BoneIndices.y] * input.Weights.y;
	skinTransform += BoneMatrices[input.BoneIndices.z] * input.Weights.z;
	skinTransform += BoneMatrices[input.BoneIndices.w] * input.Weights.w;

float4 position = mul(value, skinTransform);

return position;
 }
 else
   return value;
}

Pixel vertexShader(Vertex input)
{ 
 Pixel result = (Pixel) 0;

float4 posWorld = mul(ApplyBoneTransform(input, float4(input.Position.xyz, 1.0f)), World);
 result.Position = mul(mul(posWorld, View), Projection);
 result.Normal = normalize(mul(ApplyBoneTransform(input, float4(input.Normal.xyz, 1.0f)), WorldIT));
 result.UV = input.UV;
 result.View = ViewInverse[3] - mul(float4(input.Position.xyz, 1.0f), World);
 result.Tangent = normalize(mul(ApplyBoneTransform(input, float4(input.Tangent.xyz, 1.0f)), WorldIT).xyz);
 result.Binormal = normalize(cross(input.Normal, input.Tangent));

return result;
}

Greets

Benjamin

01.jpg

Hmm... thinking of it, there might be still something wrong with the import or wiring the data properly.

What is really strange is that the mesh triangles seem to be teared apart. This indicates a logical error more likely than wrong math.

If only math would be wrong, the mesh would bend strangely, but it would not disconnect.

So i assume you have duplicated vertices due to different normals or UVs. You could look for those vertices (log their numbers or using debugger). If you find two vertices with the same position, they should have the same bone indices and weights. If not, import logic must be still wrong.

(After that: I see you draw white lines and circles, so you already have debug visuals. You could use them to do the whole skinning on CPU to find bugs more easily as suggested earlier.)

Hi Joe,

you had totally right, after hours of checking my code, i found two fatal bugs i made.

The first one was a logic mistake by load the boneindices of the file and the second was to set the wrong offsets for weights and boneindices to the shader.

So i fix this and now the geometry will draw right and can be deform by the bone matrices, without disconnect the triangle shap :D

But there is still a last little bug. If i send the bone matrices in order of the code i post, i get a little scaling effect of the X Axis, so the mesh will get a little bit larger :(

Inverse order of multiplication the bone matrices has the same result. Transpose the value of multiplication of all matrices, the mesh will pressed like from a heavy hammer. Invert the result of multiplication, i get a scaling effect of the X Axis too, but it will be a little bit smaller.

Has anyone an Idea to fix this last step?

Greets

Benjamin

If i import the Collada file back to Maya i get a warning message that the tranform of every single joint is not compatible with fbx, so its baked into trs?

Is not the Problem, that the gpu skinning should be only, if bone matrices animations exist, because my 3 bones has transform matrices who say where they should be in the world, but that is not the position of the vertices, so for a example, a bone with the x postion 3 and tranform with the binding vertices translate these 3 steps right on the x Axis and that is wrong right, because without a animation, every single vertex should be only tranform with a matrix ideity until the get animated?

So the transform matrix should be the difference of the old and new bone transform matrix around the postion of the bone?

Greets

Benjamin

20 hours ago, JoeJ said:

(After that: I see you draw white lines and circles, so you already have debug visuals. You could use them to do the whole skinning on CPU to find bugs more easily as suggested earlier.)

Maybe it's time for this now. I'd start without any weights and linking each vertex to the closest bone. That's a bit easier but enough to understand verify any involved math.

EDIT:

The inverse bind matrix transforms the vertex from model space to local bone space

The animated bone matrix transforms from bone space to final world space

Edited by JoeJ

As requested by PM, i'll try to give an example for better understanding...

I don't know how 'new' you are to this, but to me the key was to treat this all as a geometrical problem. Back then i was not aware this is an application of linear algebra, and i still think of this stuff in a pure geometrical way.

Let's start with an exercise of how to transform a vector from one space to another:

// our source space: (referring to the bone transform in rest position)
vec sx (1,0,0);
vec sy (0,1,0);
vec sz (0,0,1);
vec sp (2,3,4);
// and target space: (referring to the animated space)
vec tx (0,0,1);
vec ty (1,0,0);
vec tz (0,1,0);
vec tp (5,6,7);
// this is a skin vertex in global space (or model space, but usually that's the same if model and skelton are at the origin)
vec skin (3,3,3); 

// first, we move the vertex from world space to the local source space
vec localInS = skin - sp; // position now relative to source origin, now care for orientation:
localInS = vec (
	sx.Dot(localInS), // how far from source origin along the direction of its X axis?
	sy.Dot(localInS), // how far from source origin along the direction of its Y axis?
	sz.Dot(localInS)); // and Z
// vertex is now in source space. Key is here to understand how the dot product works.
// so we transformed the vertex from its modeled position to the bone of the skeleton that should affect in during animation.

// next, think of the target space as a animated variant of the skeleton bone.
// we already know the position relative to that bone, now all we need to do is to transform it back to world space but using animated transform
vec animatedSkin = tp + vec (
	tx * localInS.x,
	ty * localInS.y,
	tz * localInS.z);

// that's it. We are done. If we have multiple bones affecting the vertex, we do the same calculation for each of them and add te a weighted final result, like:
vec result = 
	animatedSkin * 0.25 +
	animatedSkin_2 * 0.25 +
	animatedSkin_3 * 0.5;
// that's obvious, but just notice we lerp only resulting vectors istead the spaces, which is faster

If you understand this (take some time, imagine it geomatrically, visualize it to help your brain a lot...),

then you understood all math there is to know.

We could rewrite this code using matrices, the spaces already hint how as they have the same memory order than a 4x3 matrix, just adding a (useless) final row to get 4x4 it would look like this:

float sMatrix[16] = {
	5,6,7,1};

You can then look your math library code to see it performs identical operations than dot products.

Thinking this further, e.g. transforming all 3 direction vectors of one matrix by another matrix, you already understood how 3D rotations work using matrices. Only requirement is to understand the dot product (!)

(This assumes OpenGL matirx order, DirectX transposed that convention because MS likes to have its own standards to force people into their great... you get me)

So in DirectX it would look like this:

float sMatrix[16] = {
	0,0,0,1};

... which causes things like using simple multiplications instead dot product and vice versa - trial and error fun starts here.

I'll rewrite above code using matrices:

matrix mS = {...};
matrix mT = {...};
vec skin (3,3,3); 

vec localInS = mS.Unrotate(skin - sp);
// or:
vec localInS = mS.Inversed().Transform(skin);
// or:
vec localInS = mS.InverseTransform(skin);

vec animatedSkin = mT.position + mT.Rotate(localInS);
// or:
vec animatedSkin = mT.Transform(localInS);

Try to follow this so all variants of the same thing makes sense.

Finally, let's combine both involved transforms to one (that's what i've missed in my very first post.)

matrix combined = mS.Inversed() * mT; // or mT * mS.Inversed(), depending on the convention your math lib uses
vec animatedSkin = combined.Transform(skin);

Usually you can write just 'animatedSkin = combined * skin', but 'Transform' makes more sense eventually :)

So that's it. I hope this helps to understand the math, but i doubt it will help you much to fix your actual problem - this is expected.

There seems nothing wrong with how you do it, bug an be anywhere. I can only repeat my suggestions to do it all an CPU and visualize all steps... good luck! ;)

Edit: To be sure here is how a space is defined if you're total noob :)

vec sx (1,0,0); // local orientation x axis

vec sy (0,1,0); // local orientation y axis

vec sz (0,0,1);

vec sp (2,3,4); // position

... same for matrices of course

Edited by JoeJ

Hi Joe,

thank you very much again, to take the time to explian me it, but i see in your example, we assume that we animate the model, but whats with the case, i only load the model without animation matrices, so we dont have a target space, just to see the skinned model, do i need than to transform the vertices too, or only if i had animation matrices?

Greets

Benjamin

You can set the target matrices to their according rest pose bone matrices. Then the model should look the same as in the modeling app without animation, and the 'combined' matrices should all end up being identity. 

To test just if the vertices load correctly, you can ignore all matrices and render them without skinning. Again the model should look like in modeling app.

But there will be exceptions: 

Often the model is already cut into pieces, and those pieces are parented under various bones or other nodes in the transform hierarchy.

This adds some additional complexity, as you now need the skeleton matrices to render them correctly even without animation or skinning. (You need to transform each piece by its parent hierarchy node.) This makes sense at least for props like guns or swords, usually parented by the hand bone so they animate properly when the hand is animated.

So for your initial test models you have it easier when the whole mesh is parented by the root.

Thinking of it, if you accidently parented your box model under one of the bones, this could explain the scaling you described eventually.

Hi Joe,

models will always draw correct in my engine and no model has a joint as parent, i am just a noob in gpu skinning, but not to transform a mesh right with a complex parent node hierarchy ;)

So now i do CPU skinning, like you said, to test the code, to find faster bugs.

So I test my elbow cube model and animate (translate) the last bone, right side, to move down and again to the starpoint.

So i take only the first animation matrix that start form the startpoint and test the animated joint (the last joint) to see if my model keep his form, but unfortunately he tranlate the right side (the 4 edges) a little bit after left, so the mesh will get a little bit smaller :(

I think there is still a bug how i calculate the Local Space, that makes this translate effect!?

Here's what i have:

public static Matrix CalculateLocalSpaceMatrix(Joint joint, Matrix result)
        {
            {
                result *= CalculateLocalSpaceMatrix(joint.Parent, joint.Parent.Transform.ObjectSpaceMatrix);
                return result;
            }
            else
                return joint.Transform.ObjectSpaceMatrix;
        }

private List<Vertex> originVertices = new List<Vertex>();

private void DoSomethingToolStripMenuItem_Click(object sender, EventArgs e)
        {
            if (this.geometry != null)
            {
                Geometry g = this.geometry;

if (this.originVertices.Count == 0)
                    foreach (Vertex vertex in g.Vertices)
                        this.originVertices.Add(vertex);

if (g.Bones.Count != 0)
                {

for (int iBoneIndex = 0; iBoneIndex < g.Bones.Count; iBoneIndex++)
                    {
                        Joint bone = g.Bones[iBoneIndex];

Matrix inverseBindMatrix = bone.InverseTransform.ObjectSpaceMatrix;
                        Matrix localSpaceMatrix = MatrixHelper.CalculateLocalSpaceMatrix(bone, Matrix.Identity);
                        Matrix animatedSpaceMatrix = this.AnimationList[0].TransformAnimations[0];

Matrix finalMatrix = localSpaceMatrix * inverseBindMatrix * animatedSpaceMatrix;

if (iBoneIndex == 2)
                            boneMatrices.Add(finalMatrix);
                        else
                    }
                }

List<Vertex> skinVertices = new List<Vertex>();

for (int i = 0; i < this.originVertices.Count; i++ )
                {
                    Vertex vertex = this.originVertices[i];

Matrix boneTransform = new Matrix(0);
                    boneTransform += boneMatrices[vertex.BoneIndices[0]] * vertex.Weights[0];
                    boneTransform += boneMatrices[vertex.BoneIndices[1]] * vertex.Weights[1];
                    boneTransform += boneMatrices[vertex.BoneIndices[2]] * vertex.Weights[2];
                    boneTransform += boneMatrices[vertex.BoneIndices[3]] * vertex.Weights[3];

vertex.Position = Vector4F.ToVector3(Vector3.Transform(vertex.Position, boneTransform));

skinVertices.Add(vertex);
                }

List<float> result = new List<float>();

foreach (Vertex item in skinVertices)
                    result.AddRange(item.ToFloatArray());

this.scene.Graphics3D.VertexBuffer.Update(result.ToArray());
            }
        }

I also read the Collada Docu about skinning again: https://www.khronos.org/collada/wiki/Skinning

And the docu say that the bone matrices array are the invert bone matrices

This source defines the inverse bind matrix for each joint, these are used to bring 
  coordinates being skinned into the same space as each joint.  Note that in this case the
  joints begin at 0,0,0 and move up 30 units for each joint, so the inverse bind matrices
  are the opposite of that.

So i add in my Joint Class a second tranform class that store the Object Space Matrix of the bone, the first store the inverse matrix (load from file) and the second store the invert matrix from the file (to draw the skeleton preview right).

Any Ideas?

Greets

Benjamin

Edited by B. /

I'm a bit confused you have 3 matrices there:

Matrix localSpaceMatrix = MatrixHelper.CalculateLocalSpaceMatrix(bone, Matrix.Identity); 

You could try to explain where each of those come from (but likely i won't get it... terminology is so confusing to me with this things.)

However, there must be the bone matrix in global space, once in restpose and once animated, and not inversed.

To proof this is right, you should now visualize it, with something like:

DrawLine (matrix[3], matrix[3] + matrix[0], red);

DrawLine (matrix[3], matrix[3] + matrix[1], green);

DrawLine (matrix[3], matrix[3] + matrix[2], blue);

If there is a bug about matrices, you should see it.

Similary you can this with vertices, just by rendering a point. Red for skinned, green for unmodified. (no need to upload buffers to GPU, so another potential source of error less.)

I do this kind of visual debugging all the time, and in combination with some trial and error many things can be fixed without thinking about it. Works also for non graphics problems. Eyes are the best debugger to me.

What seems unusual to me is the way CalculateLocalSpaceMatrix() goes from the current bone to the root. I would expect going from root to the bone, so you might need to inverse the final result (or inverse rotation order when using the result) to have the bone in worldspace. Visual debugging should clarify such things...

The inverseBindMatrix is the world/object space matrix of the bone i load from the file, remember, i wrote, that the docu say that each marix in the bone matrices array in the file is inverse. That why i had two transform classes in my bone class, one is original load from the file, the inverse Version and one that is the invert value of the inverse Version to draw my skeleton lines.

This source defines the inverse bind matrix for each joint, these are used to bring 
  coordinates being skinned into the same space as each joint.  Note that in this case the
  joints begin at 0,0,0 and move up 30 units for each joint, so the inverse bind matrices
  are the opposite of that.

The localSpaceMatrix, i thought to get in the end the final tranform of the bone relative to the bone hierarchy. I use this code if i group many meshes and transform only the group node/parent node.

The animatedSpaceMatrix should be the targetsource. I animated the last bone of 24 frames, so i have 24 targetsources/matrices.

So the result of TransformAnimations[0] or TransformAnimations[23] should be in the after multipy them with the other matrices give a matrix idetity.

However, there must be the bone matrix in global space, once in restpose and once animated, and not inversed.

Collada exportert for the bone matrices only the inverse world/object space matrices. So I invert these and store them in my second Transform Class in the bone class.

The animated matrices exported normal. That the TransformAnimations Array, i store them for the mesh.

So in the end i try it with what i wrote

Finally, let's combine both involved transforms to one (that's what i've missed in my very first post.)

matrix combined = mS.Inversed() * mT; // or mT * mS.Inversed(), depending on the convention your math lib uses
vec animatedSkin = combined.Transform(skin);

Usually you can write just 'animatedSkin = combined * skin', but 'Transform' makes more sense eventually :)

inverseBindMatrix * animatedSpaceMatrix without success, so i thought i try it again with multiy it with the Local Space Matrix

Edited by B. /

ps. I check up the file to see, if the bone world/Object space matrix is the same as the first animation matrix, and its a little bit different

Bone:

1.000000 0.000000 0.000000 3.963553 0.000000 1.000000 0.000000 0.000000 0.000000 0.000000 1.000000 0.011606 0.000000 0.000000 0.000000 1.000000

First Animation Matrix:
1.000000 0.000000 0.000000 3.447073 0.000000 1.000000 0.000000  0.000000 0.000000 0.000000 1.000000 0.000000 0.000000 0.000000 0.000000 1.000000

That could explain, why i dont get the origin model shape back, after tranform these

In the file i read joint3-Interpolations-array (Animation Matrices Array)

Could it be that i first need to calculate the right animation matrices realtive from the bone object space, befor i can transform my vertices?

Here is the animation_lib of the file

<library_animations>
    <animation id="joint3-anim" name="joint3"><animation><source id="joint3-Matrix-animation-input"><float_array id="joint3-Matrix-animation-input-array" count="24">

0.041667 0.083333 0.125000 0.166667 0.208333 0.250000 0.291667 0.333333 0.375000 0.416667 0.458333 0.500000 0.541667 0.583333 0.625000 0.666667
0.708333 0.750000 0.791667 0.833333 0.875000 0.916667 0.958333 1.000000</float_array><technique_common><accessor source="#joint3-Matrix-animation-input-array" count="24"><param name="TIME" type="float"/></accessor></technique_common></source><source id="joint3-Matrix-animation-output-transform"><float_array id="joint3-Matrix-animation-output-transform-array" count="384">

1.000000 0.000000 0.000000 3.447073 0.000000 1.000000 0.000000 0.000000 0.000000 0.000000 1.000000 0.000000 0.000000 0.000000 0.000000 1.000000
1.000000 0.000000 0.000000 3.447073 0.000000 1.000000 0.000000 0.000000 0.000000 0.000000 1.000000 -0.142293 0.000000 0.000000 0.000000 1.000000
1.000000 0.000000 0.000000 3.447073 0.000000 1.000000 0.000000 0.000000 0.000000 0.000000 1.000000 -0.532450 0.000000 0.000000 0.000000 1.000000
1.000000 0.000000 0.000000 3.447073 0.000000 1.000000 0.000000 0.000000 0.000000 0.000000 1.000000 -1.115392 0.000000 0.000000 0.000000 1.000000
1.000000 0.000000 0.000000 3.447073 0.000000 1.000000 0.000000 0.000000 0.000000 0.000000 1.000000 -1.836036 0.000000 0.000000 0.000000 1.000000
1.000000 0.000000 0.000000 3.447073 0.000000 1.000000 0.000000 0.000000 0.000000 0.000000 1.000000 -2.639301 0.000000 0.000000 0.000000 1.000000
1.000000 0.000000 0.000000 3.447073 0.000000 1.000000 0.000000 0.000000 0.000000 0.000000 1.000000 -3.470107 0.000000 0.000000 0.000000 1.000000
1.000000 0.000000 0.000000 3.447073 0.000000 1.000000 0.000000 0.000000 0.000000 0.000000 1.000000 -4.273373 0.000000 0.000000 0.000000 1.000000
1.000000 0.000000 0.000000 3.447073 0.000000 1.000000 0.000000 0.000000 0.000000 0.000000 1.000000 -4.994017 0.000000 0.000000 0.000000 1.000000
1.000000 0.000000 0.000000 3.447073 0.000000 1.000000 0.000000 0.000000 0.000000 0.000000 1.000000 -5.576958 0.000000 0.000000 0.000000 1.000000
1.000000 0.000000 0.000000 3.447073 0.000000 1.000000 0.000000 0.000000 0.000000 0.000000 1.000000 -5.967116 0.000000 0.000000 0.000000 1.000000
1.000000 0.000000 0.000000 3.447073 0.000000 1.000000 0.000000 0.000000 0.000000 0.000000 1.000000 -6.109408 0.000000 0.000000 0.000000 1.000000
1.000000 0.000000 0.000000 3.447073 0.000000 1.000000 0.000000 0.000000 0.000000 0.000000 1.000000 -5.989200 0.000000 0.000000 0.000000 1.000000
1.000000 0.000000 0.000000 3.447073 0.000000 1.000000 0.000000 0.000000 0.000000 0.000000 1.000000 -5.656859 0.000000 0.000000 0.000000 1.000000
1.000000 0.000000 0.000000 3.447073 0.000000 1.000000 0.000000 0.000000 0.000000 0.000000 1.000000 -5.154813 0.000000 0.000000 0.000000 1.000000
1.000000 0.000000 0.000000 3.447073 0.000000 1.000000 0.000000 0.000000 0.000000 0.000000 1.000000 -4.525488 0.000000 0.000000 0.000000 1.000000
1.000000 0.000000 0.000000 3.447073 0.000000 1.000000 0.000000 0.000000 0.000000 0.000000 1.000000 -3.811309 0.000000 0.000000 0.000000 1.000000
1.000000 0.000000 0.000000 3.447073 0.000000 1.000000 0.000000 0.000000 0.000000 0.000000 1.000000 -3.054704 0.000000 0.000000 0.000000 1.000000
1.000000 0.000000 0.000000 3.447073 0.000000 1.000000 0.000000 0.000000 0.000000 0.000000 1.000000 -2.298099 0.000000 0.000000 0.000000 1.000000
1.000000 0.000000 0.000000 3.447073 0.000000 1.000000 0.000000 0.000000 0.000000 0.000000 1.000000 -1.583921 0.000000 0.000000 0.000000 1.000000
1.000000 0.000000 0.000000 3.447073 0.000000 1.000000 0.000000 0.000000 0.000000 0.000000 1.000000 -0.954595 0.000000 0.000000 0.000000 1.000000
1.000000 0.000000 0.000000 3.447073 0.000000 1.000000 0.000000 0.000000 0.000000 0.000000 1.000000 -0.452549 0.000000 0.000000 0.000000 1.000000
1.000000 0.000000 0.000000 3.447073 0.000000 1.000000 0.000000 0.000000 0.000000 0.000000 1.000000 -0.120208 0.000000 0.000000 0.000000 1.000000
1.000000 0.000000 0.000000 3.447073 0.000000 1.000000 0.000000 0.000000 0.000000 0.000000 1.000000 0.000000 0.000000 0.000000 0.000000 1.000000</float_array><technique_common><accessor source="#joint3-Matrix-animation-output-transform-array" count="24" stride="16"><param type="float4x4"/></accessor></technique_common></source><source id="joint3-Interpolations"><Name_array id="joint3-Interpolations-array" count="24">
 LINEAR LINEAR LINEAR LINEAR LINEAR LINEAR LINEAR LINEAR LINEAR LINEAR LINEAR
LINEAR LINEAR LINEAR LINEAR LINEAR LINEAR LINEAR LINEAR LINEAR LINEAR LINEAR LINEAR
LINEAR</Name_array><technique_common><accessor source="#joint3-Interpolations-array" count="24"><param type="name"/></accessor></technique_common></source><sampler id="joint3-Matrix-animation-transform"><input semantic="INPUT" source="#joint3-Matrix-animation-input"/><input semantic="OUTPUT" source="#joint3-Matrix-animation-output-transform"/><input semantic="INTERPOLATION" source="#joint3-Interpolations"/></sampler><channel source="#joint3-Matrix-animation-transform" target="joint3/matrix"/></animation><animation><source id="joint3-visibility-animation-input"><float_array id="joint3-visibility-animation-input-array" count="3">

0.041667 0.500000 1.000000</float_array><technique_common><accessor source="#joint3-visibility-animation-input-array" count="3"><param name="TIME" type="float"/></accessor></technique_common></source><source id="joint3-visibility-animation-output"><float_array id="joint3-visibility-animation-output-array" count="3">

1.000000 1.000000 1.000000</float_array><technique_common><accessor source="#joint3-visibility-animation-output-array" count="3"><param type="float"/></accessor></technique_common></source><source id="joint3-visibility-animation-intan"><float_array id="joint3-visibility-animation-intan-array" count="3">

0.000000 0.000000 0.000000</float_array><technique_common><accessor source="#joint3-visibility-animation-intan-array" count="3"><param type="float"/></accessor></technique_common></source><source id="joint3-visibility-animation-outtan"><float_array id="joint3-visibility-animation-outtan-array" count="3">

0.000000 0.000000 0.000000</float_array><technique_common><accessor source="#joint3-visibility-animation-outtan-array" count="3"><param type="float"/></accessor></technique_common></source><source id="joint3-visibility-animation-interpolation"><Name_array id="joint3-visibility-animation-interpolation-array" count="3">
 STEP STEP STEP</Name_array><technique_common><accessor source="#joint3-visibility-animation-interpolation-array" count="3"><param type="name"/></accessor></technique_common></source><sampler id="joint3-visibility-animation"><input semantic="INPUT" source="#joint3-visibility-animation-input"/><input semantic="OUTPUT" source="#joint3-visibility-animation-output"/><input semantic="IN_TANGENT" source="#joint3-visibility-animation-intan"/><input semantic="OUT_TANGENT" source="#joint3-visibility-animation-outtan"/><input semantic="INTERPOLATION" source="#joint3-visibility-animation-interpolation"/></sampler><channel source="#joint3-visibility-animation" target="joint3/visibility"/></animation></animation>
  </library_animations>

Edited by B. /