• Advertisement

DX11 Screen capture (print screen) from my DX11 game while in full screen

While I am running my directX11 engine in windowed mode, I can use the snipping too to get a screen cap of it. However, if I run it in full screen and hit print screen button,

and try to copy paste that into paint or photoshop, it has nothing - print screen isnt capturing the image for some reason, and I cant use snipping tool to get the screen

cap while its in full screen?

Is there some setting or soemthing thats not allowing windows to detect the game while it's in full screen?

Very important to get these captures for my portfolio, and if I capture it in windowed mode, it looks really bad and low res.

Heres a link to the D3D class in my engine for reference

https://github.com/mister51213/DirectX11Engine/blob/master/DirectX11Engine/D3DClass.cpp

Any help would be much appreciated, thanks!

Advertisement

There are various tools that can do this for you. Here's a couple of examples:

- http://www.fraps.com/ Can capture screenshots and videos.

- https://renderdoc.org/ - This is a graphics debugger, that can be very handy for other things too, but it also lets you save any render target out as an image.

If you're using Windows 10, you can also just press Windows Key + G to capture images and videos from games.

Best to use a capture program for this. FRAPS is very old and my not be reliable for all programs. On Windows, you can use MSI Afterburner, or the apps that come with your graphics card (Nvidia ShadowPlay or AMD ReLive).

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Advertisement
  • Advertisement
  • Popular Tags

• Advertisement
  • Popular Now

• Similar Content

• By mangine
      Hello. I am developing a civ 6 clone set in space and I have a few issues. I am using Lua for the logic and UI of the game and c++ directx 12 for the graphics. I need a way to send information between Lua and c++ occasionally and was wondering what is the best and most flexible (and hopefully fast) way to do this. Don't forget that I also need to send things from c++ back to Lua. I know of a lua extension called "LuaBridge" on github but it is a little old and I am worried that it will not work with directx 12. Has anybody done something similar and knows a good method of sending data back and forth? I am aware that Lua is used more and more in the industry and surely plenty of AAA game programmers know the answer to this. I want a good solution that will hopefully still be viable code in a couple of years...
    • By owenjr
      Hi there.
      I'm pretty new to this and I don't know if it has been asked before, but here I go.
      I'm developing a game using SFML and C++.
      I would like to use the "Tiled" tool to load maps into my game but I don't actually find any tutorial or guide on how to exaclty use it (I know that I have to read an XML file and stuff). I just step into diverse projects that make all a mess. 
      Anyone knows where can I find good information to make my map loader by myself?
      Thanks in advantage!!
    • By MHG OstryTM
      Hello guys,
      I've released my game for the first time. I'm very excited about it and I hope you'll enjoy the game - Beer Ranger. It's a retro-like puzzle-platfromer which makes you think a lot or die trying. You have a squad of skilled dwarfs with special powers and your goal is tasty beer. There is a lot of traps as well as many solutions how to endure them - it is up to your choice how to complete the level! 
      Link to the project: Project site
      Link to the Steam site with video: Beer Ranger
      Have fun and please write feedback if you feel up to.
      Some screens: 

• By matt77hias
      Is it common to have more than one ID3D11Device and/or associated immediate ID3D11DeviceContext?
      If I am correct a single display subsystem (GPU, video memory, etc.) is completely determined (from a 3D rendering perspective) by a
      IDXGIAdapter (meta functionality facade); ID3D11Device (resource creation facade); ID3D11DeviceContext (pipeline facade). So given that you want to use multiple display subsystems, you will have to handle multiple of these interfaces. A concrete example would be a graphics card dedicated to rendering and a separate graphics card dedicated to computation, or combining an integrated and dedicated graphics card. All such cases seem to me quite far fetched to justify support in a majority of games. So moving one abstraction level further downstream, should a game engine even consider multiple display systems (i.e. there is just one ID3D11Device and one immediate ID3D11DeviceContext)?
  • Advertisement