Objectives/ideas for top down shooter

Started by
3 comments, last by cjmarsh 6 years, 2 months ago

Hi, so I am creating an Android game. My first idea was to make it an RPG, but after realizing that creating quests and huge maps would require way too much time, I decided to remove quests. The leveling up system is still there, you can loot items, upgrade your weapons and collect ammo. My question would be: what kind of objective or feature could I add to make the game more fun? Right now it's pretty dull. All you do is walk around while shooting enemies and seeing as your level goes up.

Advertisement

Why not bring quest back but with a smaller scale?

Learning how to program quest structures is very important for your latter games, this game sounds like a perfect time to learn.

Start with some simple fetch quests, followed by quests using what you have and topped off by a large main quest. You character could be some kind of mercenary, doing jobs for money.

16 hours ago, EddieK said:

Hi, so I am creating an Android game. My first idea was to make it an RPG, but after realizing that creating quests and huge maps would require way too much time, I decided to remove quests. The leveling up system is still there, you can loot items, upgrade your weapons and collect ammo. My question would be: what kind of objective or feature could I add to make the game more fun? Right now it's pretty dull. All you do is walk around while shooting enemies and seeing as your level goes up.

Soooo.... for a objective view you could possibly make a feature where you have to fight and gake/claim land and towns as well as have people work for the land. You could possibly add online or wifi multiplayer but have them able to make their own servers or something. The world could be randomly generated if you don't have that. And make it so you can meet new people with their own quirks and personality that can either help you or slowly kill you. Add medicine and some bandages.

I know this seems like a lot and it is. But when it is done you will see what I mean by it being really fun to play in the end....by the way..make town..abandoned places stuff like that.

Game design is all about engineering meaningful progress. You could try making the map flow into a series of checkpoints where it saves your game and the enemies get harder after each one. Or you could implement a collection system where the player gathers something like "intel" and is rewarded with something like a temporary stackable buff and/or some flavor text with achievements. Another option is being more deliberate about where weapon upgrades can be found and making reaching them an event all in itself. You could also add marked enemies who run away from the player and reward bounties when killed. Basically, adding anything that gives the player a sense of progression will help make the game more fun.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement