• Advertisement

Gameplay Creating a Weapon System Allowing Easy Implementation of Unique Effects

Hey,

So I'm currently working on a rogue-like top-down game that features melee combat. Getting basic weapon stats like power, weight, and range is not a problem. I am, however, having a problem with coming up with a flexible and dynamic system to allow me to quickly create unique effects for the weapons. I want to essentially create a sort of API that is called when appropriate and gives whatever information is necessary (For example, I could opt to use methods called OnPlayerHit() or IfPlayerBleeding() to implement behavior for each weapon). The issue is, I've never actually made a system as flexible as this.

My current idea is to make a base abstract weapon class, and then have calls to all the methods when appropriate in there (OnPlayerHit() would be called whenever the player's health is subtracted from, for example). This would involve creating a sub-class for every weapon type and overriding each method to make sure the behavior works appropriately. This does not feel very efficient or clean at all. I was thinking of using interfaces to allow for the implementation of whatever "event" is needed (such as having an interface for OnPlayerAttack(), which would force the creation of a method that is called whenever the player attacks something).

Here's a couple unique weapon ideas I have:

Explosion sword: Create explosion in attack direction.

Cold sword: Chance to freeze enemies when they are hit.

Electric sword: On attack, electricity chains damage to nearby enemies.

I'm basically trying to create a sort of API that'll allow me to easily inherit from a base weapon class and add additional behaviors somehow. One thing to know is that I'm on Unity, and swapping the weapon object's weapon component whenever the weapon changes is not at all a good idea. I need some way to contain all this varying data in one Unity component that can contain a Weapon field to hold all this data. Any ideas?

I'm currently considering having a WeaponController class that can contain a Weapon class, which calls all the methods I use to create unique effects in the weapon (Such as OnPlayerAttack()) when appropriate.

Edited by Ovicior
Grammar.

Advertisement

One might consider breaking the problem down a bit further. What defines an attack? Going only by your description, it appears to be comprised of target selection (i.e. chains to nearby enemies, directional), a visual/audio representation (i.e. explosion, lightning), and a status effect (i.e. bleeding, on fire, electrified) to those targets.

So I'd probably design this as non-inherited Weapon class, which is configured with instances of 3 separate class hierarchies: a TargetSelector, an AudioVisualAttackRepresentation, and a TargetStatusApplier (not optimal class naming, but you get the idea).

You could implement this as a single class hierarchy (as you suggest), but I'd imagine that quite a few weapons will want to share similar implementations of the functionality I've broken out... Composition will make that easier than a single class hierarchy.

3 hours ago, swiftcoder said:

One might consider breaking the problem down a bit further. What defines an attack? Going only by your description, it appears to be comprised of target selection (i.e. chains to nearby enemies, directional), a visual/audio representation (i.e. explosion, lightning), and a status effect (i.e. bleeding, on fire, electrified) to those targets.

So I'd probably design this as non-inherited Weapon class, which is configured with instances of 3 separate class hierarchies: a TargetSelector, an AudioVisualAttackRepresentation, and a TargetStatusApplier (not optimal class naming, but you get the idea).

You could implement this as a single class hierarchy (as you suggest), but I'd imagine that quite a few weapons will want to share similar implementations of the functionality I've broken out... Composition will make that easier than a single class hierarchy.

An attack is just really whenever the player left clicks, at which point a prefab with a collider that checks for enemies inside itself is instantiated at whatever angle the player is facing. The visual representation is a slash effect. I'd like to think that I'd instantiate a prefab for something like an explosion and have some sort of lightning prefab that can take gameobjects as parameters to chain between. 

My apologies, but I still don't quite understand how I'd use composition in this way. Wouldn't it be easier to have a normal Weapon component that handles most calculations, with unique Components for each weapon that use the Weapon component to do their behavior?

I'm not too familiar with writing quality code, I've mostly been trying to learn how to make stuff work over the past four years.

1 hour ago, Ovicior said:

Wouldn't it be easier to have a normal Weapon component that handles most calculations, with unique Components for each weapon that use the Weapon component to do their behavior?

Its really a question of what quantity of weapons you plan on having in the game. If you only plan to have 3 weapon types, and they all basically work the same way, then by all means, code them in one place.

If on the other hand you plan to have a hundred different types of weapon, and many of them function differently to one another, then you'll probably want to factor out the commonalities in some way that reduces the amount of code you have to write.

You are probably overdesigning. (As often happen with oop).

Just assign a "effect type" to your weapon, and switch on that type to handle the sword effect.

switch( weapon->type)

{

case Weapon_FireDamage:

{ ... } break;

case Weapon_SpecialEffectFoo:

{ ...} break;

}

Probably you won't ever have the need of something more complicated than this. (And you can always do fancy stuff like compressing common parts, parametrize them, ecc)

Leonardo

5 hours ago, swiftcoder said:

Its really a question of what quantity of weapons you plan on having in the game. If you only plan to have 3 weapon types, and they all basically work the same way, then by all means, code them in one place.

If on the other hand you plan to have a hundred different types of weapon, and many of them function differently to one another, then you'll probably want to factor out the commonalities in some way that reduces the amount of code you have to write.

I plan on having close to 100 weapons. Many will feature some sort of unique effect. I don't quite completely understand how "TargetSelector, an AudioVisualAttackRepresentation, and a TargetStatusApplier" would all work together. A target selector doesn't seem too necessary considering only the lightning sword will chain as of now. Having something to create the proper "streak" or "smear" animation is good, and having something apply the effect for each weapon seems pretty good as well. Would the 'TargetStatusApplier' also be used for something immediate, like stealing an enemy's health? Or would it only be for longer-term statuses like burning/frozen.

8 hours ago, Ovicior said:

I don't quite completely understand how "TargetSelector, an AudioVisualAttackRepresentation, and a TargetStatusApplier" would all work together. A target selector doesn't seem too necessary considering only the lightning sword will chain as of now.

That's just an example breakdown I extrapolated from the example you described. It sounds like your targeting isn't as complex as I had assumed from the chain lightning example - it's not uncommon for games to have a lot of complex behaviour in this area, such as weapons that deal damage in a cone vs line vs arc, piercing through to enemies behind vs not, chaining vs not, and so on...

8 hours ago, Ovicior said:

Would the 'TargetStatusApplier' also be used for something immediate, like stealing an enemy's health? Or would it only be for longer-term statuses like burning/frozen.

Both, most likely. In the simplest form, it's just an interface with a single method, applyStatusTo(Target), and implementors can choose to apply long term status effects, or just apply damage directly.

My implementation would be like what was done in Final Fantasy VII: Divide effects into a few broad groups (as you did with cold, electric, and explosion swords) and then define more detailed properties inside each group that weapons can have.

I would use inheritance to implement the broad groups, as you can’t say how much they would have in common in terms of functionality or properties, and then use a data-driven model for the details inside each group.

You can imagine all the attacks and effects in Final Fantasy VII.  Whether simple sparks fly or a huge monster with a camera and scene animation comes could be handled by inheritance as broad groups that categorize the types of effects you want to implement.

Then which sparks are shown or which monster is shown can be driven via data.

You get a compromise between a data-driven approach and inheritance that should make even large numbers of attacks manageable.

L. Spiro

Check out Brian Bucklew's use of an ECS in Caves Of Qud, he solved exactly the probem you're describing with his approach and has done a couple of presentations about it.

4 hours ago, DerekB said:

Check out Brian Bucklew's use of an ECS in Caves Of Qud, he solved exactly the probem you're describing with his approach and has done a couple of presentations about it.

Thanks! This presentation is useful. I'll definitely keep it in mind when designing my system.