turn-based fight system

Started by
9 comments, last by Tom Sloper 6 years, 2 months ago

Hello everybody, i'm working on a RPG game in GameMaker Studio, and as a beginner yea still gotta learn a lot. Created the sprites(for the player and its animations), Background for a room(some basic grass), and the objects for some basic walls and the player(included collisions, move, animate, speed etc). But what I'm hoping for is a turn-based fight systems. So when I collide with an object, it will enter the turn-based fight system. How do I do that? Seems kinda hard, and there are unclear tutorials on how to do it. So may someone explain be how to do it? Step by step, or if not, just some links where to learn some stuff so maybe I'll do it by myself. THANKS 

Advertisement

Hi,

would be using RPG Maker an alternative, because it is based on that system?

Otherwise you have to create the following:

Sprites:

• spr_player (with bounding box set)
  • spr_enemy (with bounding box set)
  • spr_infight_player
  • spr_infight_enemy

Objects:

• obj_player (use spr_player)
  • obj_enemy (use spr_enemy)
  • obj_infight_player (use spr_infight_player)
  • obj_infight_enemy (use spr_infight_enemy)

Rooms:

• rm_overworld
  • rm_arena

Tilesets:

• tile_world

Backgrounds:

• bg_arena

1. Design your rm_overworld

2. Apply the background to the rm_arena

3. Place obj_player and obj_enemy on the rm_overworld

4. Place the obj_infight_player and obj_infight_enemy in rm_arena

5. script basic movement for obj_player:

var movement_speed = 0.5;
if(keyboard_check(vk_left)) x -= movement_speed;
if(keyboard_check(vk_right)) x += movement_speed;
if(keyboard_check(vk_up)) y -= movement_speed;
if(keyboard_check(vk_down)) y += movement_speed;

6. in obj_player create a new event "Collision" and choose the obj_enemy and apply following code:

room_goto(rm_arena); //go to the turn based arena

This is everything you need in order to get to the fight screen on a collision. Now, setting up the turn based system may be more complicated based on what you want to do.

Could you describe how your fight should look like and what actions (attack, different attacks, block, etc.) are possible?

An alternative would be searching the Game Maker marketplace for a system you want (like https://marketplace.yoyogames.com/assets/397/turn-based-combat-system)

23 hours ago, LukasIrzl said:

This is everything you need in order to get to the fight screen on a collision. Now, setting up the turn based system may be more complicated based on what you want to do.

Could you describe how your fight should look like and what actions (attack, different attacks, block, etc.) are possible?

Damn, thanks a lot, got a new idea on what you just detailed(maybe gonna use them for some moments when the player gets teleported in other worlds or something). What i'm actually trying to make is an Undertale like fight-system.  btw the game is based on Adventure Time :)

Capture.PNG

17 minutes ago, get the f***ing pillow man said:

btw the game is based on Adventure Time :)

Unless you have the rights to make an Adventure Time (which I'm fairly certain you do not), I would highly recommend not trying to use characters or any other likeness from it.

Hello to all my stalkers.

As I never played Undertale, I do not have a clue how the fight system looks like. ;) But maybe, if you want to save a huge amount of time, you might want to take a look at the marketplace as well.

@LactoseIf he does not want to make money with the game this should not be a problem, right?

3 minutes ago, LukasIrzl said:

@LactoseIf he does not want to make money with the game this should not be a problem, right?

I am not lawyer.

I think even if you don't make money it's not OK. It can pass only if it's a parody (there's an exception for parodies) but that can be a hard to prove. Most important thing is that even if you're in right, law will not protect you unless you have money to hire a good lawyer and keep him for at least a year - for a company that kind of money is nothing. They'll just keep spending money to ruin you and then sue to get money back.

I was not aware of that. Always thought, I would be "OK" for the companies.

Well, then the only way is to buy the rights :D, or add slight modifications i suppose. Maybe ask the creator if it is allowed to create a non-profit fan game?

Anything similar might get you into trouble. It depends on company, their mood, and the Moon phase.

There's a story somewhere about some guy making game similar to Candy Crush, some years later Candy Crush gets released, and try to sue guy for using Candy Crush name. But he made game first so they couldn't do anything. Instead they found another Candy Crush game that is even older, bought rights for like $100, and then sued guy again - since this time they owned rights to the title he had to take game down.

It is completely illogical and immoral, but that's how law works. You're not safe unless you have a million bucks to throw at a lawyer.

So in short - no. If it's even remotely similar you have a chance to get sued.

28 minutes ago, Zaoshi Kaba said:
31 minutes ago, Zaoshi Kaba said:

Anything similar might get you into trouble. It depends on company, their mood, and the Moon phase.

There's a story somewhere about some guy making game similar to Candy Crush, some years later Candy Crush gets released, and try to sue guy for using Candy Crush name. But he made game first so they couldn't do anything. Instead they found another Candy Crush game that is even older, bought rights for like $100, and then sued guy again - since this time they owned rights to the title he had to take game down.

It is completely illogical and immoral, but that's how law works. You're not safe unless you have a million bucks to throw at a lawyer.

So in short - no. If it's even remotely similar you have a chance to get sued.

sounds like i gotta create a game based on some story i made. 

If there is to be any further discussion on issues around intellectual property rights or violations, the best place for that is the Business And Law board.

-- Tom Sloper -- sloperama.com

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement