Cartoon Art Style

Started by
11 comments, last by swiftcoder 6 years, 2 months ago

I am making a game that is cartoon based. How would I go about making a cartoon art style?

Advertisement

Is this to be a 3D game? The most common rendering technique to produce a cartoon look is Cel Shading. You'll find tutorials and such for most popular 3D engines.

Tristam MacDonald. Ex-BigTech Software Engineer. Future farmer. [https://trist.am]

5 hours ago, Timothy Sharp said:

I am making a game that is cartoon based. How would I go about making a cartoon art style?

Please be more specific.

Just now, 0r0d said:

Please be more specific.

The environment, items, and characters will have this cartoony look to them.

55 minutes ago, Timothy Sharp said:

That isnt helpful.  What are you asking?  Are you actually asking how to make cartoon style art?  

There are several ways, cel shadings as said above, then flat shading with low poly/paper style, then pure low poly with hand painted textures like League of Leggins, then normal 3d but the art style is cartoonish like Viva Pinata, then semi realistic with cartoonish look like Sims 3, then.. then infinity of possibilities.

U can maybe try searching some exaples on the internet and find a good style to use or just use your own style u like, but make the game fun and enjoyable and don't look to much at the realistic axpect, because it can really mess up the gamers experience.
And u can maybe show us some exemples of your work/concept sketches or idee for the game, and help u out with that :D

3 hours ago, Timothy Sharp said:

If it's 2D then you keep things simple. Make important things like hands and eyes bigger so they are easier to see. Same with the animations, you over exaggerate the important parts.

The simpler the better.

I recommend 2D if it's your first game. You can even do 2D in a 3D world for some surreal effects.

UDKSpriteSheetExample.png&key=0f0138ea6cc82cb0c8e3b9ff97753f2236954a32bd68afac742952af691634b3

For more 3D that looks 2D check this post:

1 hour ago, TwinklyLucasK said:

U can maybe try searching some exaples on the internet and find a good style to use or just use your own style u like, but make the game fun and enjoyable and don't look to much at the realistic axpect, because it can really mess up the gamers experience.
And u can maybe show us some exemples of your work/concept sketches or idee for the game, and help u out with that :D

Yea sure. I'm having trouble thinking of game ideas xD

5 hours ago, Timothy Sharp said:

Yea sure. I'm having trouble thinking of game ideas xD

If you can show us examples of the exact "cartoon" style you are trying to achieve, we can give you pointers as to how.

As others have said, there are a wide variety of art styles that could be described as "cartoon".  From Cuphead, to Ni no Kuni, to Afro Samurai, and everything between...

Tristam MacDonald. Ex-BigTech Software Engineer. Future farmer. [https://trist.am]

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement