• Advertisement

2D Is there a working resolution...?

Hello, I am rewriting my pixel art game program and have decided to support the following resolutions:

1920 x 1080

1280 x 720

1024 x 768

I think they all look fine on the different sized monitors.  Does anyone have an opinion of any other needed resolution to support?

When I started this research I seem to recall a general response of it might be just important to have the aspect ratios.  What does this mean exactly?  Why?

Thank you,

Josheir

Edited by Josheir

Advertisement

I have screens that are:

• 3840 x 2160
  • 2880 x 1800 <-- 16:10, some people just letterbox down to 16:9
  • 2560 x 1440
  • 2560 x 1080 <-- this is the bitchy one, at 21:9
  • 1650 x 1080

I would want to be able to play on those in some sensible fashion, whether it's resized or whatever.

4 hours ago, Josheir said:

might be just important to have the aspect ratios.  What does this mean exactly?  Why?

You can always scale up and down, that's trivial. Yes, things get pixelated when you scale up too far, but someone with honking great monitor probably expects that a large subset of 2D games will do that, and lives with it.

It's harder to deal with ultra-wide or ultra-tall monitors. You can just scale to the minimum dimension and put giant black bars on the other two sides, but... Promit most likely didn't buy an expensive widescreen just so that he can stare at black pixels all day.

Also, the mobile world has a lot of different aspect ratios, and folks there don't expect to see black bars on the sides of their games - the screen on a phone/tablet is small enough already.

What are you going to do on other sized screens? Run in windowed mode with a non-resizable window? Draw black borders on the edges? Rescale from one of your supported resolutions to the screen resolution? That last one would require care around aspect ratios. 

You should probably pick a popular resolution to target, such as 1080p (1920x1080), so that your art looks optimal. And then have the actual screen resolution be fluid to whatever resolution or aspect ratio the user has. For example, some people (like myself) use 4K TVs as monitors, it which case the screen would just scale up 4x to fit (this is easy since it's a multiple of 1080p and the same aspect ratio). However, ultra-wide screens are more popular these days and (less so) multi-monitor configurations, and it would be nice to support an arbitrary aspect ratio. In that case, your game would render art to the left and right of what would normally be seen on a 16:9 screen. In any case, it would be a mistake to hard-code a few resolutions and expect that all your customers just happen to have the same monitor you do.

I dont understand... if this is a pixel art game, then presumably the art only makes sense at a specific resolution so that the pixels are at a certain scale, right?   So why not just do like cyberpnk says and support just that resolution, and then you can scale and letterbox to support the final screen (or window) resolution?

Seems like you're just making life hard for yourself.

Please look into actually asking the monitor what resolutions are supported, since your list of resolutions is never going to be exhaustive enough to cover everyone's monitors. It will break when you try and set it to a resolution that the monitor doesn't support, which is very easy to do, and then you will be flooded with complains about how the resolutions are messed up or how you don't support X special snowflake monitor. On Windows this is done using EnumDisplaySettings. On Linux I am not sure, you can look into XRRSizes and XF86VidModeGetAllModeLines to start.

While less likely in a gaming scenario, some people also use their monitors in portrait mode, so a 16:10 becomes a 10:16. But if you are also targeting mobile, you may want to support portrait mode anyways.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Advertisement
  • Advertisement
  • Popular Tags

• Advertisement
  • Popular Now

• Similar Content

• By NfiniT
      Hello!  Our team is a searching for a 2D Artist looking to add a title (whether the first one, or one of many) to his portfolio, with the opportunity to pursue a long-term partnership.

Position & Responsibilities:
      Our team is looking for a 2D Artist to help produce finalized art assets from our current concepts and help finish our current working prototype.  This includes various stylized cartoon characters, level components/objects, background art, and possible UI elements.  The entire team can either provide you the concept art, or let you have extended creative freedom, it's up to you--whichever you feel is better suited for your process.
      Also, although this is not a requirement, if you want to expand your skill-base, you can dabble in the other aspects as well, be it animation, programming, design, narrative, etc.
      Project Description:
      Our project is titled Stanley and the Clocktower Caper, and is a casual 2D platformer with a puzzle element and child-friendly combat.  Our goal is a funny, relaxing experience that intentionally does not take itself seriously.
      Set in the steam-punk styled town, our protagonist Stanley (a sloth), is a local tinkerer and keeper of the town's clocktower.  The town and clocktower have been invaded (story-related reasoning) and are swarming with spiders who've gummed up the cogs with webs, removed gears and all-around caused chaos.  Stanley must make his way down, out of the clocktower, which will require unclogging gears, finding missing pieces to levers, switches, gear-trains, etc.  While all of this is a tall order, thankfully Stanley is an avid consumer of Slothbux, a particularly caffeinated brand of coffee which gives Stanley quite the pick-me-up (how else do you think a sloth manages to be a tinkerer and get so many odd things done!? ) and allows him to accomplish some feats of speed, agility and strength not normally attainable otherwise!
      This game will consist of Stanley escaping the tower, which is apparently going to be a pretty big tower for such a little sloth!  It must have a lot of clocks...  Pending good reception on release (this is discussed below), we would happily consider a follow-up adventure.
      Release & Other Business Stuff:
      We'll be releasing on PC, and are targeting a July release--it is an admittedly small window, but a lot of the functionality already exists and we've got a realistic perception of what we're capable of as a small team and have kept the scope of our project focused accordingly.  Distribution channel is not finalized, though the most obvious and likely candidates are Steam and Itch.io.  Price-point of the final product is TBD.
      You will be included in the rev-share, and of course that's regardless of whether you fill the role and leave or decide to stay with us for future titles.
      Team:
      There are currently four of us, you will be the fifth.
      1) (Me) Our resident programmer, and dabble in both concept art & Design. 
      2) Our producer (handles scheduling, keeping things organized and on task), who also handles animation & dabbles in design.
      3) Our lead designer (story, level layout, etc.), who also does a bit of concept art
      4) Our sound engineer, who is also using the opportunity to learn a bit of programming.
      Links to Stuff:
      Working prototype--https://iconoclast209.itch.io/stanley

If you would like to fill the role or have more questions, feel free to reach out to me on PM or on Discord at Bryant - NfiniT#5890 
      Thank you for your time!
    • By MaFaBit Games
      Hey guys,
      I have publishd my new game on Android called ProjektZ. The game is a 2D plattformer with pixel art design.
      ProjektZ is about to find one key to unlock the level exit and go to the next one. 
      While you are doing that, you have some red enemys, which are trying to stop you.
      I'm really happy about the release and i hope someone can give me some feedback.
      I have some other games too, but i think this one is my best try.

The link to ProjektZ: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.mafabit.projektz

And last but not least, some screenshots

• By Innoc uous
      I'm working on a space game, and I suck at art. I would love to get some help from someone who is more skilled than me. Things I need include modular space ship parts and GUI elements. Nothing too fancy, just functional so I can get a prototype put together. This could potentially become a serious project, but for now this is just a hobby project.

In this video, you can see a few things I already completed
      :2018-02-24 20-08-13.flv2018-02-24 20-08-13.flv
    • By owenjr
      Hi there.
      I'm pretty new to this and I don't know if it has been asked before, but here I go.
      I'm developing a game using SFML and C++.
      I would like to use the "Tiled" tool to load maps into my game but I don't actually find any tutorial or guide on how to exaclty use it (I know that I have to read an XML file and stuff). I just step into diverse projects that make all a mess. 
      Anyone knows where can I find good information to make my map loader by myself?
      Thanks in advantage!!
    • By GhostarWhite7
      Today again I painted the next drawing. I look at him and I understand that something is wrong in him. Can problems with the prospect or with black and white or with the composition or is everything terrible? help me figure it out, help.. My english is not very well, i'm from russia and i want to draw for game

• Advertisement