How to Learn English? I have my doubts.

Started by
1 comment, last by Nypyren 6 years, 2 months ago

I use translation software, actually.

I have some questions to ask your:
I've heard rumors...
English native speaker no study "International Phonetic Alphabet (IPA)".
emmmm... Now comes the question, how real is this? so I longer need learn to "IPA"?

And............................

About English grammar.
English grammar book is inaccurate in China, like "Chinglish". your cannot understand what I am saying.
So...
Your don't need to study grammar?
I see this:https://www.mezzoguild.com/you-dont-need-to-study-grammar-to-learn-a-foreign-language/

Now, I don't know what to do now, my English was so terrible.
I am so busy that I have no time to study English.
I think... in movies, in games, in news... to study English?
Of course I know, recite words is important.

Advertisement

Regarding the "IPA":  The IPA is meant to be an alphabet which represents the spoken representation (the sounds) of a word.  If you learn the sounds that IPA represents, you can use it to (mostly) say the word without hearing it first.  But most native English speakers learn how to pronounce words by hearing other people talking, and associating those sounds with the written form of the words.  Certain patterns in the words tend to make the same sounds even without having to check the IPA (with exceptions), so a person who sees a new word can usually get close enough to the correct pronunciation (and then someone will tell you how it's actually pronounced later, if you accidentally use it wrong).

You could try learning word pronunciation from IPA, but it might be easier to learn from movies or television shows, if you listen to English audio at the same time as having subtitles or closed-captions on for English as well.

Grammar is similar:  Native speakers learn by listening to other people, learning most of the grammar patterns on their own, then being told what is correct or incorrect by other people.

I've been trying to learn Japanese in my free time, but I'm pretty much in the same situation as you: I'm not really sure what I should do to get better at it aside from just repetition, reading, and listening.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement