• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  

Mobile Web Development Question.

I am going to write a quick website and I took a course at Udemy about building a responsive website using html5, css3, and media queries, (JavaScript):

course image

https://www.udemy.com/design-and-develop-a-killer-website-with-html5-and-css3/learn/v4/content

I am asking if there are any problems with using CSS media queries to create a responsive website that functions well with mobile devices.  I wanted to make sure of this before starting to develop.

Thank you,

Josheir

Edit: I am especially concerned with media queries ability to detect all the different devices properly. 

Trying to be clearer, the course uses CSS grids. 

Edited by Josheir

Advertisement

"Responsive" sites are often terrible for mobile devices. While wealthy segments of society replace their phones every year or two, many people have phones that are many years old.

Most responsive sites use JavaScript to run their resizing and rescaling and reflowing, which in turn means more processing and memory use on devices that are already low on processing power and memory.  Other times they rely on complex CSS rules which require more processing power and memory on the browser.  Consequently, visually "responsive" sites tend to have bad performance on phones making them less responsive in terms of performance.  Either way you go, responsive designs may look nicer and are formatted in response to screen, but tend to make site load times and page interaction that much slower and painful and less responsive.

You asked about media queries, those are also hit-and-miss that are sometimes ignored on older devices and browsers. Many mobile browsers have options that allow users to modify them or for the device to behave as a desktop computer to avoid problems with garbage code.

HTML was meant to be display agnostic, displaying just fine on text system, on graphical systems, on any resolution from tiny screens to enormous.  Just make proper HTML, the stuff designed to work in a display agnostic format, and the site should work fine.  News sites have been particularly awful at this, with heavily enforced fixed-width columns and ads that take enormous screen space that only look reasonable on a large display. The more web site designers pull out the artistic crayon box and demand a picture-perfect Photoshop layout for the web site --- which is what many marketing groups and visual artists push for --- the farther they leave behind the core principles of the Web. 

One of the driving purposes for the creation of HTML was to get away from display-specific formatting, choosing instead to specify general structure and allowing the individual devices to decide how that looks.  Responsive design takes exactly the opposite approach, denying the individual viewer from deciding how something looks, and enforcing the page creator's layout rather than the device's own layout based on content structure.