Video Game Music Software

Started by
10 comments, last by phantaminum 5 years, 11 months ago

Hello, i'm searching for a good free Software, for creating game music, so i'd like to know what you guys use.

Advertisement
On 2/25/2018 at 10:58 AM, Ill27 said:

Hello, i'm searching for a good free Software, for creating game music, so i'd like to know what you guys use.

On 2/25/2018 at 9:58 AM, Ill27 said:

Be very careful with free software. Some of it is good but some of it is very buggy or low quality. And the most important thing is you'll need some kind of virtual instruments and plug-ins to produce the music you create. Like most things, you get what you paid for, especially with regards to virtual instruments. 

Nathan Madsen
Nate (AT) MadsenStudios (DOT) Com
Composer-Sound Designer
Madsen Studios
Austin, TX

Reaper (https://www.reaper.fm/) is almost free comparing to other DAWs. It costs 60$, and now becoming a standard for the industry, because of its seamless integration with PC-based game development workflow.

Dee Kourtsman
Royalty free fantasy music
https://audio.deekourtsman.com

Reaper is, indeed, very powerful. But one thing to know about Reaper is that it doesn't include any bundled VST/AU instrument plugins. It has some decent effects plug-ins but no built in virtual instruments. So if you need that, you'll have to get some 3rd party libraries. Some of the more expensive DAWs include bundled virtual instruments and effects plugins. 

So at the end of the day, depending on your needs and set up, costs may not be that much different. 

Nathan Madsen
Composer-Sound Designer
Madsen Studios
Austin, TX

The cost of the DAW is a fraction of what I've spent on things like gear and VIs :)

Hero Fantasy Pack Vol 1 || Adaptive orchestral music pack
Hero Fantasy Pack Vol 2 || 4 new themes, 40 parts

7 hours ago, kristiang said:

The cost of the DAW is a fraction of what I've spent on things like gear and VIs :)

Very true and the same applies to me!

My earlier post was mainly from the vantage point of first starting out. It's not realistic to look at Reaper and say it only costs $60 if you still have to purchase several hundred dollars worth of virtual instruments to get the job done. Whereas Logic Pro X costs $200 and comes bundled with multiple virtual instruments. I just want people to be fully aware of what they're getting with each DAW solution they pick. 

Nathan Madsen
Composer-Sound Designer
Madsen Studios
Austin, TX

1 hour ago, nsmadsen said:

Very true and the same applies to me!

My earlier post was mainly from the vantage point of first starting out. It's not realistic to look at Reaper and say it only costs $60 if you still have to purchase several hundred dollars worth of virtual instruments to get the job done. Whereas Logic Pro X costs $200 and comes bundled with multiple virtual instruments. I just want people to be fully aware of what they're getting with each DAW solution they pick. 

Yeah, it's easy to bypass that part when first investing an a DAW. I know I did. Thankfully there are some great VI sales from time to time :)

Hero Fantasy Pack Vol 1 || Adaptive orchestral music pack
Hero Fantasy Pack Vol 2 || 4 new themes, 40 parts

Get ableton Live lite or intro. Basically its the 99 dollar version of ableton. It has only 16 tracks but that should be more than enough

Instagram@nickMakMusic

Hi, maybe you can check out my program http://fmcomposer.org/

It's a tracker based on FM synthesis (real time sound generation instead of samples). Once you have created your songs you can export them as classic Wave/MP3/FLAC or play them in your program using the C library https://github.com/stephanedamo/fmcomposer/tree/master/src/fmengine

Pros : very small filesize, real-time synthesized music so you can also alter it directly in the game (like tempo, effects and such)

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement