New songs - "Forza 7/The Last Night" inspiration.

Started by
2 comments, last by Samuel Laurence 6 years, 1 month ago

Hi guys,
I recently found some inspiration in the trailers for Forza 7 and The Last Night. 
Feedback is always appreciated. Will do a proper mix and master soon.

Advertisement

Hey Samuel! Thanks for sharing your stuff! We appreciate it. I'll give you some feedback - 

The Last Night - Loved the groove and vibe as well as the overall production (although you mentioned you'll do a proper mix of it later on). Only issue is the music didn't really match up with the trailer's visuals IMO. I don't mean timing because you nailed that in several spots. I mean in tone and message. While the timing was spot on in several areas, the narrative of the visuals and the groove or message of the audio to me didn't feel aligned. Instead it felt like two different media files merged together forcibly. Does that make sense? I didn't feel any ebb and flow to the protagonist's situation or the pacing of the trailer. I'd work on creating something that lines up more with the drama found in the trailer's visuals. 

Forza - Love the start and the build up to 33 seconds. Then at 33 seconds I was expecting a much larger, more impactful hit. And I didn't get it. I'd work on ways to get that impact to have more weight. At 56 seconds a whoosh into the drums dropping out could be really cool. The hit at 57-ish seconds could be larger. Right now it feels way too nuanced. LOVE how you did the logo tag at the end. That was perfect. This cue works better partly because there's less story to tell with racing. It's just go-go-go. I also felt that the drums could've been louder in your mix/more weight and that you could've done more to push the production of the strings/pad in the last 20-ish seconds leading up to the logo tag. At that point you wanted to keep the energy rising and rising so the players/viewers definitely remember that game and the energy in your music didn't seem to rise to the needed level there. 

All in all - some really nice stuff! It just needs a bit more to push it to the next level IMO. Great job! 

Nathan Madsen
Nate (AT) MadsenStudios (DOT) Com
Composer-Sound Designer
Madsen Studios
Austin, TX

Firstly, thanks so much for taking the time to actively listen. 
Secondly, what you've said is exactly what I'm looking for re: feedback, so thank you very very much.

I had a listen to each track with your comments in mind and it's spot on to be honest, especially regarding Forza and the time stamps.
I'll be taking all of that back to the drawing board so cheers once again.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement