Original Doom 2D in 3D Art Style

Started by
1 comment, last by xbattlestation 6 years, 1 month ago

Hi all,

I was thinking about seeing if I could mock up something in Unity to help me learn.

I wanted to try a third person game, but using the DOOM art philosophy (i.e. different sets of 2d sprite animations, one for each perspective that depend on the angle you are viewing them from).

I'd be using higher resolution vector images, so I'm not necessarily trying to copy the DOOM retro pixelated aesthetic - just the format of juxtaposing 2D graphics into 3D.

Is there a term for this?

It's just an experiment, but I think it could yield quite a cool graphic novel look if done well.

Advertisement

Billboard sprites - essentially each enemy / object (lets call them objects) would be a polygon that always faces the camera, and the texture would have to show the object from the best angle available.  You'd have each object sprite sheets drawn for at least 4 angles - front + back + both sides.  Even better would the quarters angles too - or even more, but then you've got to figure out if its worth even more angles vs the time / resources needed to create / store them.

I'm not a unity guy, but there appears to be unity specific tutorials on how to do this.

Storm Clouds over the Western Front - 2D aerial combat WIP | DarklightXNA on Twitter | 2DFlightSim on Youtube

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement