RPG Games For Girls!!!

Started by
89 comments, last by digitaldirt 22 years, 3 months ago
Hi, I am inquiring about the game teams on this network who are making RPG games. I have 2 questions. 1. Is your theme primarily cliche castle ages or cliche futuristic? or do you have some new idea for your game? 2. Is anyone specificaly designing their game for a girl/woman audience? As I notice, that their really isn''t any games for famales in the RPG genre. Its all boobs, guns and armor. Anything new? I''d love to hear about it.
Advertisement
Well it''d have to pink and based around horses wouldn''t it?
Not at all. But that is the attitude of a "guy" developer. They are ignorant of the famale audience in games, as they are in relationships i suppose. who knows...

I think there is a lot you can do, without resulting to "Pink" and "My Little Pony".

We can''t program for an audience we don''t understand

Hitchhiker90
"There''s one bitch in the world, one bitch with many faces" -- Jay
"What are you people, on dope?" -- Mr. Hand
Hitchhiker90"There's one bitch in the world, one bitch with many faces" -- Jay"What are you people, on dope?" -- Mr. Hand
quote:Original post by Hitchhiker90
We can''t program for an audience we don''t understand

Agreed

Favorite quote:

"Women are made to be loved, not to be understood."

As an aside - many women are attracted to MMRPGs, specially the more social ones. I just came back from surfing Salon.com, and they had an article on Diablo and Diablo II being a "virtual fashion show" because of the way your equipment interacts with the visual depiction of your character, both in real-time and in the equipment screen. This is something that can be used to attract women to the genre: the ability to make your character look the way you want it to, including clothing style and colour.

I think you do not need to design "specifically" for girls or women. Just make sure that there is a fair cross-section of characters available, and perhaps make it a little more difficult for teenage boys with hormonal imbalances to create the oh-so-typical scantily leather-clad buxom amazon. You may find you attract more female players than you were expecting.

And yes, I'm back

Edited by - MadKeithV on December 4, 2001 4:15:51 AM
It's only funny 'till someone gets hurt.And then it's just hilarious.Unless it's you.
The idead to create games for girls isn''t that bad.

Unfortunately this market is very very small!

Have fun
Bunnz
Visit: www.bunnz.com
Have fun BunnzPunch'n'Crunch
I''ve always been an RPG fan, mostly console, although there are some CRPG''s that have caught my eye. Anyway, I have always thought of RPG''s as being more neutral as to who they are targeted at, but maybe I simply haven''t been paying attention. But I do have a friend who has a sister that plays more RPG''s than anyone I know, all on the Playstation and Dreamcast, but still.

I think creating your game specifically for a female audience is a recipe for disaster. On the other hand, keeping in mind that there ARE female players, and that in general, they would like a stronger/more realistic version of female characters is a good thing.

Basically, I have a RPG in mind (console RPG style) that has about 30 playable characters, with half being female and a good portion of those being roles that are typically male.

I''m also designing a Zelda-style game with two main characters, a female that wants to take up the sword and shield like her dad, and a male mage type...this one is more likely to be finished, since it''s more fleshed out : )

But, in general, we need to keep in mind that most females don''t wander around in bikinis all the time in real life, so why should they in our games?

Silvanis
1. I'm old schooled. Personally I like the blade runner/syndicate type of futuristic enviroment combined with oriental culture. But you don't always have to stick to a single cliche... find a way to make up new ones or combine them.

2. There are new possibilities that can be explored to draw more female audience. But I don't think I should be giving this kind of information out... *pulls out a huge neon flashing arrow sign behind his back that points toward sunandshadow* ^_^

quote:Original post by MadKeithV
As an aside - many women are attracted to MMRPGs, specially the more social ones.

While I would agree that women are more attracted to MMRPG from the social interactions, this principle obviously wouldn't benefit at all toward a regular RPG.

quote:This is something that can be used to attract women to the genre: the ability to make your character look the way you want it to, including clothing style and colour.

Here's the question, how many set of shoes, hair styles, outfits, nail polishs, etc... do you need to design to satisfy a woman ? Anyone wanna take a guess on the magic number ?

quote:And yes, I'm back

WB

Edited by - mooglez on December 4, 2001 4:51:38 AM
-------------Blade Mistress Online

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement