How Linux Community Steals Proprietary Assets

Started by
15 comments, last by nsmadsen 5 years, 3 months ago

Be careful when using sound or textures from GPL games, opengameart and these free sfx sites!

https://github.com/saniv/free-game-art/blob/master/foss-copyright-infringement-records.md

Advertisement

Is the following quote from your linked repository accurate?

For example, Bram insulted and banned me for uploading a recording of burning my hamster alive to get authentic rodent agony sounds.

...because I have to say I'm inclined to agree, that sort of animal cruelty is not acceptable behaviour.

Some of your other language also seems unnecessarily agressive, and at points somewhat racist.

I honestly haven't investigated whether or not you're in the right with regards to the copyright issues you're mentioning, but the language, and aggressive and insulting attitude you seem to be exhibiting is very off-putting, and I can very much see that (rather than the issues you're trying to raise) being a completely justified reason for a ban.

For the record, I'm very uncomfortable with providing a platform for someone who seems to be claiming they're ok with animal abuse, and I can tell you that we don't tolerate a lot of aggressive or insulting behaviour here; I'd suggest sticking exclusively to the facts and not getting personal if you want to be allowed to stay.

- Jason Astle-Adams

While I think your general message is good ("be careful with licensed assets"), we don't condone the particulars of your message.

Please refrain from engaging in similar tone here at GameDev.net. We are a moderated community and do not tolerate that kind of behavior or tone.

Admin for GameDev.net.

On 2/28/2018 at 4:22 AM, jbadams said:

I honestly haven't investigated whether or not you're in the right with regards to the copyright issues you're mentioning, but the language, and aggressive and insulting attitude you seem to be exhibiting is very off-putting, and I can very much see that (rather than the issues you're trying to raise) being a completely justified reason for a ban.

It is easy to check. For example, https://opengameart.org/content/rpg-game-ui includes 3 items from Diablo 1. See https://www.spriters-resource.com/pc_computer/diablodiablohellfire/sheet/59437/

Regarding the language, I treat others like they treat me. Living in Russia for 30 years I'm perfectly accustomed to such language. When you're being insulted, returned the insult multiplied by 100, otherwise you will lose respect.

None of this has anything to do with the Linux community.  If you have a licensing related problem with the contents of that person's asset package maybe you should report the issue to the administrators of opengameart.org?  Sorry, I just can't follow the logic that leads this back to Linux or the Linux community.

This is from the description of that asset package..

I've been working on this GUI for hobby and I want you to use it!, it's inspired by Blizzards game, Diablo. Hope you guys like it and feel free you use it in anyway :).

Are you sure you aren't just seeing intentional similarities?

I complained to OGA admins and they banned me for bring that out.

And as for why I use such tone, my compatriots constantly spam my blog with insults. For example: http://lj.rossia.org/users/sadkov/280272.html?thread=10159312#t10159312

In fact, people in Russia don't understand other language beside a good old punch into the face.

3 minutes ago, NikitaSadkov said:

In fact, people in Russia don't understand other language beside a good old punch into the face.

I can't speak for people from Russia, but using that sort of tone and language when interacting with people from the US/UK/Australia/etc. is generally considered childish and impolite; how an angry teenager might communicate rather than an adult.

Perhaps something to keep in mind when interacting with communities of predominantly western peoples. :)

- Jason Astle-Adams

8 minutes ago, jbadams said:

I can't speak for people from Russia, but using that sort of tone and language when interacting with people from the US/UK/Australia/etc. is generally considered childish and impolite; how an angry teenager might communicate rather than an adult.

Perhaps something to keep in mind when interacting with communities of predominantly western peoples. :)

I have seen people using such tone in numerous popular Youtube videos, especially referring to other youtubers. Rap scene is known for it too.

34 minutes ago, NikitaSadkov said:

I have seen people using such tone in numerous popular Youtube videos

Yes, and the people in those videos and comment sections are generally considered to be rude and immature, and are generally not taken seriously. You don't want to be like those people if you want to be respected and communicate a serious message.

The behaviour of rap subculture is not something you should apply to society as a whole; what's considered ok amongst artists and fans of a particular genre of music is not necessarily considered ok when trying to have a serious adult discussion of intellectual property.

Furthermore, addressing your original point, you continually refer to "the linux community" but provide examples from communities with no relation to that group.  OpenGameArt is not "the linux community".  Battle For Wesnoth is not "the linux community".

As a moderator of a similar community I can tell you that the aggressive and insulting communication, and apparent animal abuse (rather than your actual message about intellectual property) is almost certainly why you have been banned from numerous communities.

- Jason Astle-Adams

4 hours ago, NikitaSadkov said:

Living in Russia for 30 years I'm perfectly accustomed to such language. When you're being insulted, returned the insult multiplied by 100, otherwise you will lose respect.

This is not a Russian forum.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement