GDC from career perspective

Started by
14 comments, last by April_X 6 years, 1 month ago

Hi, I am new here, may I ask: do you guys have any suggestions about whether I should go to GDC, or Unity events during GDC, or, actually, any meetups and local events in LA, when I am more of a mature developer/when I already finish up most part of my game demo, or now? From career development perspective. Now I am not a total beginner, but I am not a mature developer either, kind of like in between X-0

Please forgive me if this question is silly or naive. Thank you!

Advertisement

The thing I would say about GDC is that if you don't already know how it will benefit your career, then it probably won't. Do you have specific business or networking goals in mind, and a reasonable belief that being there will bring you in to contact with people that are willing to help you meet them? If not, then the expense will not be worthwhile for you.

There's this whole buzz that suggests "all game developers need to go to GDC to network" but the fact is, the vast majority of developers never go there, and many who do go don't find it as transformative as is suggested. And this isn't surprising - the organisers have a vested interest in making it a popular event and this hype sells tickets. But there aren't hordes of recruiters looking to hire any newbie that walks through the door, or investors waiting to shower money on every indie dev that shows up with a demo.

By comparison, when you consider smaller meet-ups, the equation is quite different. You're still unlikely to meet someone who changes your career overnight, but the cost is far lower and you have little to lose, and plenty to gain on the networking front.

It's also not a binary choice between "now" and "later". You can go more than once! Each time you go, you have a chance of meeting people that could be useful to you in future, and vice versa. Just be aware of the cost/benefit balance.

6 hours ago, April_X said:

whether I should go to GDC,

That depends. It's expensive, and as kylotan said, you need to have a purpose for going. The talks can be very informative. Meeting people can lead to good things, but you shouldn't expect that. 

or, actually, any meetups and local events in LA

That I can wholeheartedly recommend.  Planning to go to the event on the 15th? 

when I am more of a mature developer/when I already finish up most part of my game demo, or now?

Why do you think timing is a factor? 

-- Tom Sloper -- sloperama.com

GDC doesn't have to be expensive. Travel and lodging is often the biggest cost. Skip the talks; you can catch most online afterward. Get the cheapest pass that gets you in the door. This year, the general expo pass was $149 through January 31. It's now $249 through March 17. There's no need to get the insane $2500 pass unless you're on a AAA studio's dime. There are also scholarships and other ways to get discounted access.

The general pass lets you into the game career seminar track, which you might be interested in. More importantly, it just gets you into the place where you can talk with people from all kinds of backgrounds. Local meetups are cozy, and it's nice to see the same people every time and have ongoing dialogue. But it's a different world from the whirlwind of perspectives offered by big conferences. You don't need to "network," but go and talk with people, exchange contact info, and maybe make a few new friends. You never know what'll come out of it in the future.

Unity Asset Store: Dialogue System for Unity, Quest Machine, Love/Hate, and more.

I personally think it is worth the cost.

The seasons are very informative and you get to meet all kinds of devs.

IMO, if you have a website for your project, and can get it out there, it helps for exposure.

I'm going again this year, and it's a great excuse/ reason to meet my remote team members in person.

If you do go, I'd go with business cards, and a target of people you want to meet. 

Our company homepage:

https://honorgames.co/

My New Book!:

https://booklocker.com/books/13011.html

22 minutes ago, GeneralJist said:

I'd go with business cards

Absolutely.

16 hours ago, Kylotan said:

Your post says what I "sense" in mind but not able to summarize in written sentences... I feel like I am not ready to go

11 hours ago, Tom Sloper said:

Planning to go to the event on the 15th? 

Why do you think timing is a factor? 

1. what is the LA event on the 15th? Thank you! Did I miss anything? I feel that not knowing this event means that I am still a beginner, not "kind of in between"... next time I will be more modest.

2. I feel like I need to be more prepared and mature to go, in order to "exchange information" (I need to have something of mine to "exchange" info and knowledge), that's why I think timing is a factor

10 hours ago, Tony Li said:

thank you and I think finally I will go when I am ready

personal website and business cards, thank you guys for your suggestions

4 minutes ago, April_X said:

what is the LA event on the 15th?

Join the IGDA LA Facebook group so you get notifications. The event is at Butcher's Dog, 11301 W Olympic Blvd, from 6 to 8. 

6 minutes ago, April_X said:

I feel like I need to be more prepared and mature to go, in order to "exchange information" (I need to have something of mine to "exchange" info and knowledge)

You feel wrongly. You just need to have a business card and you need to be a good listener. You need to be ready to "receive information." Nobody is expecting "info and knowledge" from you, other than your name and what you do.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement