does anyone know how to make one of those programs where something can walk across your desktop

Started by
5 comments, last by Trizer 6 years, 1 month ago

id like to make something like this except its a game and you can also interact with the things on your desktop

i was also wondering if anyone knows of any programs that can make a game like this

im very new to making games and i suck at everything so thankyou to anyone who can help

Advertisement

"making programs" is not what the Game Design forum is about. Moving to For Beginners.

-- Tom Sloper -- sloperama.com

On 3/10/2018 at 10:16 PM, cade shea said:

id like to make something like this except its a game and you can also interact with the things on your desktop

The question is do you want it as something that is on screen but still allows you to use the computer normally?

Maybe you want a safe environment where the player can play without clicking icons and shortcuts?

The way to do each of these are different so what is it you want to do?

The general approach would be to place a transparent window over the desktop, and render into that. 

Tristam MacDonald. Ex-BigTech Software Engineer. Future farmer. [https://trist.am]

The second general approach is to grab a window handle of the desktop because it is a window too and draw onto that. In Windows it is simply zero so

//C#

Graphics.FromHwnd(IntPtr.Zero)

will give ya the desktop windows graphics object you then could render to.

There is a solution with Unity (free) on PC Windows 7, I didn't test on another system.
I can post a project folder if anyone is interested. Maybe I can explain the process too, because I need someone to try this on a windows 10 system :D

But be warned: this is NOT for beginner level (still very fun to play with).

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement