Has anyone read the Game Coding book?

Started by
4 comments, last by CrazyCdn 6 years, 1 month ago

Is it worth paying $ 70 for the fourth edition? I can get the third edition for $ 20 ...

Did you like it overall?

51OEEXgistL.jpg.fcbef03a0a335bb0bdb0b44956bfd930.jpg

Advertisement

I have a much older edition, and I felt the non-code sections of the book were far more interesting and useful than the C++ sections.  Not sure if its still in the recent editions, but I did enjoy Mike's recollection of his time at Origin and work on the Ultima series.

Thing I got the most from the book was understanding the importance of learning 2D graphics before leaping into 3D.  That is a trap quite a few beginners fall into, and that definitely included me!  That said, I don't feel this book is aimed at beginners and is intended for those who are looking to make their leap into a games programming career.

It would depend on what you are expecting to gain from reading this book...

Languages; C, Java. Platforms: Android, Oculus Go, ZX Spectrum, Megadrive.

1 hour ago, Anri said:

That said, I don't feel this book is aimed at beginners and is intended for those who are looking to make their leap into a games programming career.

Couldn't agree with this more. I am not a programmer and I tried the book thinking it will allow me to learn how to code, was I wrong. There is much better tutorials for beginners on the net for free.

The book has it's values but isn't aimed at beginners.

Just a thought, if one wants a book for starting out then Jazon Yamamoto's Black art of multiplatform game programming is a far better choice.

Languages; C, Java. Platforms: Android, Oculus Go, ZX Spectrum, Megadrive.

The forth edition of this book sits on my desk from time to time.  I like how they layout their visual studio projects but don't make new ones often enough to have all the variables used memorized.  I also have Real-Time Rendering and Game Engine Architecture in the same stack.  But as for a beginner book, I would not recommend it no.  I also own the 3rd edition on my kindle of Game Coding Complete, and I didn't notice a ton of differences between them myself.  But I've not read the 4th edition front to back like I did the 3rd.

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." --Benjamin Franklin

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement