New Dark Ambient Electronic

Started by
2 comments, last by Wintertowns 6 years, 1 month ago

Advertisement

Thanks for sharing! This might work in some game environments but I think you need to spend a bit more time developing some concrete ideas. Remember, the ear and brain will quickly dismiss something if it's found to be: 

a) too repetitive.

b) lacking in any kind of sense or order. 

I think your piece is on the edge with the noise filter arpeggio and the random chords and no real melody. Something like a Silent Hill game might benefit from something like this but that's a pretty narrow niche. Most clients and most games wont need a music track like this. 

Nathan Madsen
Nate (AT) MadsenStudios (DOT) Com
Composer-Sound Designer
Madsen Studios
Austin, TX

Thank you for your feedback. 

The inspiration for the track was indeed the kind of random ambience of Trent Reznors original soundtrack for Quake, as it was made for a map that's part of a Quake mod, so the horror influence is probably from there. Of course it's not a piece that should elevate an important part of a games narrative to hights never known to mankind. I would not argue that it would be completely useless, but I agree that the usage of a track like this is very situational.

Here's a video with the track as a soundtrack.

Do you think that every piece should have something like a strong melodic theme/catchy chord progression, or can music sometimes have a more ambient, less defined function?

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement