Ideas to make more action

Started by
3 comments, last by Wavinator 6 years, 1 month ago

Hi there,

Thinking about improving strategy/survival web/app based game with some action in it. Because leveling up the infrastructure, gathering resources, etc, is getting bored. To be more specific it's a survival game, based on astronomy, trying to save planet, etc.
So the "fighting" model doesn't fit here, because there are no dragons on the planets :))) Either its a co-op based, so PvP also doesn't fit.

Thinking about some puzzles solving at some point of game or turn-based/event-based dissasters handling... Stuck there :)

What do you think ? :)

User interface is like a joke. If you have to explain it, it’s not that good.
Advertisement

Can you add further details? What type of 'action' are you looking for? just saying action isn't very helpful, because it can be taken in many extreme directions.

Judging from what you said, your problem seems to be that you have an end-goal, but no middle-goals. Another way to say it is that the end-goal is not the main goal. For example, a game's goal may be 'defeat the dragon and save the princess!'. However, is defeating the dragon the main goal of the game? It isn't. The main goal is to become powerful enough to defeat the dragon. Therefore, 'to become powerful' is what you must make fun, not 'defeating the dragon'.

To do this, 'to become powerful' must be satisfying. You accomplish this through middle-goals. For example, a strong narrative can be considered a middle-goal. Boss battles can be considered the same. Hell even side-quests, varied classes, evolving combat and loot-based equipment can be considered middle-goals. To define it simpler, a middle-goal is anything that increases the 'fun value' of the game's progression.

Does this make sense? I'm really not good at explaining things.

If, at any point, what I post is hard to understand, tell me. I am bad at projecting my thoughts into real words, so I appreciate the knowledge that I need to edit my post.

I am not a professional writer, nor a professional game designer. Please, understand that everything you read is simply an opinion of mind and should not, at any point in time, be taken as a credible answer unless validated by others.

@ShiftyCake That was my mistake not explaining what I mean with 'action'. You did great explaining about what I haven't explained :) And you are right, there is an end-goal and I'm looking for middle-goals. 

These middle-goals can even be unrelated with the end-goal, because as you said, FUN is what Im looking for :) 
Good example is combat system/PVP, mainly its like middle-goal, also it can help get resources or something like that, but it is fun though. Main problem, that combat is kind of unsuitable here, where you trying to co-op and save the planet. Thats why Im asking some advices, ideas on creating some time eater where it would be interesting also.

User interface is like a joke. If you have to explain it, it’s not that good.

Without knowing more about the game (astronomy/co-op/management is kind of vague) I have to wonder if the problem isn't adding action, but rather addressing what makes the decision making itself boring. Boring choices I find are often because of a predictable thought process which doesn't challenge, doesn't cause you to risk anything and which have outcomes which don't offer anything surprising or unexpected.

Limiting resources and adding more consequential decisions (with more long term effects) might be a better way to go to fix the core problem.

--------------------Just waiting for the mothership...

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement