Problems with starting out on linux

Started by
14 comments, last by kop0113 6 years ago
On 3/21/2018 at 2:20 AM, kop0113 said:

In the long run. As a developer, try to wean yourself away from "Editors". They will often restrict you in the things you really want to do.

I strongly disagree with this statement. Game engines like Unity and Unreal let you focus on making games and plenty of awesome games are made with them both. HBS is a Unity studio who made the more recent Shadowrun RPG's and now we're working on BATTLETECH.

It is a fallacy that "real" game developers don't use game engines.

- Eck

EckTech Games - Games and Unity Assets I'm working on
Still Flying - My GameDev journal
The Shilwulf Dynasty - Campaign notes for my Rogue Trader RPG

Advertisement

Its not that using Editors is bad if you are a game scripter, but *only* being able to make games by using an Editor is a shame and a massive restriction to making awesome games for new and upcoming platforms.

For example we released one of our games to the pluginless web using Emscripten over a year before Unity managed to get its ass into gear and follow suite (UE4 faired a little bit better but only supported 64-bit browsers). If our team could only use Editors, we would have missed out on an excellent opportunity.

It is a fallacy that "real" game developers don't use game engines.

It isn't an elitist thing. Actually it is more the opposite, I think a lot of game developers these days mistakenly look down on projects that *don't* use editors or big fat IDEs like Visual Studio.

http://tinyurl.com/shewonyay - Thanks so much for those who voted on my GF's Competition Cosplay Entry for Cosplayzine. She won! I owe you all beers :)

Mutiny - Open-source C++ Unity re-implementation.
Defile of Eden 2 - FreeBSD and OpenBSD binaries of our latest game.

Just a point of clarity, writing code for Unity is more than just being "a game scripter". It's full blown C# development. It's way more than just adjust the color of this sprite, and change the speed variable from 5 to 6. I'm only calling this out because it's how I used to think before I actually got into it myself. :)

- Eck

EckTech Games - Games and Unity Assets I'm working on
Still Flying - My GameDev journal
The Shilwulf Dynasty - Campaign notes for my Rogue Trader RPG

On 3/21/2018 at 10:20 AM, kop0113 said:

In the long run. As a developer, try to wean yourself away from "Editors". They will often restrict you in the things you really want to do.

This is terribly wrong statement. Whenever you work on your own bigger engine, one of the core features towards releasing a game is often an editor (unless game content is generated in runtime)!

My current blog on programming, linux and stuff - http://gameprogrammerdiary.blogspot.com

15 minutes ago, Vilem Otte said:

This is terribly wrong statement. Whenever you work on your own bigger engine, one of the core features towards releasing a game is often an editor (unless game content is generated in runtime)!

I was not suggesting writing your own engine? For example for many projects I have used UE4, I rarely if ever needed to use the editor. I just used the UE4's UBT to generate Makefiles and away I went. Sure, making maps I would use a map editor. You obviously don't need one for code or scripting.

There are many professional game engines that do not come with GUI editors. UE3.x was incredibly successful without one after all. Arguably UnrealEd was also a better standalone map editor.

http://tinyurl.com/shewonyay - Thanks so much for those who voted on my GF's Competition Cosplay Entry for Cosplayzine. She won! I owe you all beers :)

Mutiny - Open-source C++ Unity re-implementation.
Defile of Eden 2 - FreeBSD and OpenBSD binaries of our latest game.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement