Question for Non-Musicians

Started by
1 comment, last by frob 6 years ago

When seeking a composer for your games, what is it that you will typically look for when hiring someone? What about their music makes you want to employ them? what do you look for in regards to professionality? I'm really curious as i'm seeking to get my foot in the door, but i want to know what i should be doing to impress you and get commissioned! thank you!

www.IainKnights.com

www.iainknights.bandcamp.com

Advertisement

When I've needed custom audio and compositions, the biggest factors are marketing (I need to be able to find you), existing/prior work, how close the prior work matches the style I'm seeking, and the cost.

On the first one, word of mouth is the best marketing. If I ask online and three of my acquaintances suggest you, I'll consider that strongly.  If I have to search for a composer for the custom work you'll need to be high up in the search results, have a professional online presence, and a good portfolio.  Building a solid network of business relationships takes time, and has its own chicken-and-egg problem: you can't be known until you've done work, and you won't be selected for doing work unless you're known.

On the second one, I need to know you can actually do the job.  If you've got a long list of game credits or have created several professional audio tracks, that shows you can do it. If you've got a big portfolio it suggest you can do it.  If your web site or your discussions don't inspire confidence that you'll do the job, I won't be interested.

On the third one, your portfolio and history need to match.  If I'm looking for someone to compose music for a children's minigame collection I won't hire you if your portfolio is based around steampunk, or around fast-paced music.  However, if I'm working on a game for a steampunk setting, or I'm building a high intensity racing game, those styles will encourage me to use you.

And for money, make it easy to see your price ranges. I need to know that I can afford you. It makes an enormous difference if you're asking for a hundred bucks for some compositions or asking for thousands or even ten thousand dollars.  It doesn't need to be precise, but I should have a good idea before contacting you.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement