Ideologies/cults in near-future world war game?

Started by
1 comment, last by Tony Li 6 years ago

Im making a grand strategy game similar to total war with perhaps some influense of paradox's heart of iron as well. It's using the entire world and is near-future with some post-apocalypse sense to it.

I want some mechanic like religion in total war medieval 2, or ideologies in HOI (the latter being a ww2 game where the ideologies are democracy, fascism, communism and neutral). My game is less close to reality and some massive destruction has taken place so new religions, empires and cities has sprung up in the ruins.

Any ideas? I'll kick of with something:

Neuralism - a religion based on the mind and mental powers
Symbiosism - religion based on mixing humans and machines
Bionomism - fantatical defence of nature
Neo-evangelism (another name?)
Neo-islamism (another name?)
Technocracy - trust/religion based on technical expertise

It shouldnt be "form of government" though since all the empires are basically totalitarian and locked in total war in this setting and they all need to be enforceable/totalitarian in some way (so no "liberty" for example). Should have a good distribution on the globe so evolution of old ideologies are good.

There could actually be ideologies that needs to be "purged" from claimed "neutrals" or wastelands/"barbarians" (none of the playable factions will have these as "state ideology").

Liberty
Tribalism
Isolationism

Advertisement

What worries people today? Sci-fi is often used to exorcise demons by extrapolating contemporary issues into a more extreme future version.

Some people are worried about demagoguery, or fanatical cults of personality. This ties into cultural identity, tribalism, and isolationism.

Others are worried about GMOs. (Paulo Bacigalupi's Windup stories are a great example of taking this to the extreme.) So you could have a faction that's completely against it, and another faction that treat genetic modification as the ultimate pursuit.

Any others?

Unity Asset Store: Dialogue System for Unity, Quest Machine, Love/Hate, and more.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement