[java] data files

Started by
2 comments, last by Violenza 24 years, 3 months ago
So if IE wont let my applet reach out back to my IP address to download data files for a game, could I do the following? let the user download the data file (would never be more than 1) and save it to his hard drive and then have the applet prompt the user to select the data file to load? Mark Mengelt Program Analyst Phoenix, AZ
Mark MengeltProgram AnalystPhoenix, AZ
Advertisement
Most applet viewers won''t let you do that either. This in case you try to hack into confidential or system files on the host computer and then broadcast the contents over the net. You can configure some browsers to let it read the files, but most are pretty strict about not letting it happen. Besides, do you want to tell the end-user that they have to disable security on their end?
What''s wrong with putting everything in a jar file?
You CAN connect to the host the applet came from.

What might be your problem (if you have any ) is that some browsers consider (or at least, did previously) "origin" in this context to be not just an IP number but a specific name, protocol and portnumber. I.e. even if the name "myhost" has ip 192.123.31.2, you can''t connect to 192.123.31.2 if the browser consider your origin ro be "myhost". Also since your applet is normally transferred using HTTP on port 80, there''s no guarantee that the browser will allow any other protocol or ports than HTTP and 80....

/NJ

<b>/NJ</b>

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement