Is it possible to mirror your monitor on smart glasses ?

Started by
6 comments, last by Joseph Nguyen 6 years ago

Hello everyone,

I'm writing this new topic because I'm trying to know more about AR, especially smart glasses. I'm reading everywhere that smart glasses are getting crazier, you can always do more stuff with it. However, I would like to know if it is possible to do something really basic : "can I mirror my PC screen on any smart glasses ?". I can find no information about this feature. Either it's so basic that everyone (but me) knows how to do it, or smart glasses can't do it at all.

My Google research allowed me to find that Vuzix is creating an app to mirror the PC screen, do I seriously need an app and spend 1400€ for smart glasses just to mirror my PC monitor ?

Can someone tell me if it is possible to mirror your screen on smart glasses without spending a crazy amount of money ? The ideal solution for me would be to find smart glasses that does just that, mirror your PC screen or tablet.

Thank you very much for your help,
Best regards,
Joseph

Advertisement

Yes, it is possible.

In the VR world there are cheap and free programs like BigScreen, that show your computer's display in an in-world panel.

I don't know if there is something for your specific smart glasses system, but if it doesn't exist then it is something that could be created.  It will take some resources if you're the one creating the technology, but it is certainly possible.

9 hours ago, Joseph Nguyen said:

Can someone tell me if it is possible to mirror your screen on smart glasses without spending a crazy amount of money ?

Are there any smart glasses in existence that have comparable resolution to a desktop monitor, and if so, do any of those not cost a crazy amount of money? 

1 hour ago, Hodgman said:

Are there any smart glasses in existence that have comparable resolution to a desktop monitor, and if so, do any of those not cost a crazy amount of money? 

The answer to both of those questions is an unequivocal  "no", but the landscape is changing rapidly.

Leap Motion's North Star project is probably the only thing to come close to ticking both boxes at this moment in time, and it's not actually available yet :)

Tristam MacDonald. Ex-BigTech Software Engineer. Future farmer. [https://trist.am]

Thank you very much for your help everyone. I was just wondering if it was technically possible as there is almost no information or no topic on the subject. I'm reassured that this basic feature is possible to perform.

For the resolution of the glasses, of course I'm not going for the same as a desktop monitor, for the application I'm trying to develop it would be useless. However, I'm intringued, why would someone need the same resolution in his smart glasses ? Does someone know concrete cases where it could be useful ? (Except the fact that it would look good)

Thank you for the link to the Leap Motion's project, I'm also very interested in hand tracking.

I'm sorry, I'm new to the forum, is there a way for me to change the title of the topic to add [Solved] ?

19 hours ago, Joseph Nguyen said:

is there a way for me to change the title of the topic to add [Solved] ?

Don't. This is a discussion site, not a Q&A site. You aren't the only person in the discussion.

19 hours ago, Joseph Nguyen said:

However, I'm intringued, why would someone need the same resolution in his smart glasses ?

Programs like BigScreen are okay when you're watching movies that can be blurry, or are surfing the web with a heavily zoomed screen.  

It doesn't look so good if you're trying to read text or manipulate details, or if you're doing something that requires crisp screen updates.

Thank you for your response, it's easier to understand why someone would need such resolutions. And it is true that my application may involve text annotations, so I will have to be cautious on this criterion.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement