What software do you use to create non-pixel-art sprite animation?

Started by
2 comments, last by Kryzon 6 years ago

I know there are lots of great pixel art tools out there, but I'm making a vector style game so they don't help. I've used Illustrator for a while, but it's a pain to make animations with it because it doesn't have any animation-related feature, like timeline or onion skin. I don't even know how to preview my animation in Illustrator so I have to export the whole sprite sheet and preview it in the game, which slows down my workflow significantly. Do you have some recommended tool for non-pixel-art sprite animation?

Advertisement

I though Illustrator had some animation stuff, like Photoshop, though if I remember correctly it is quite out of the way.

I don't know of any actual Vector art animation tools, though I think some of the tools related to Flash can do it.

Since the topic title asks about software(without specifying Vector art), I will mention that I typically create my sprites in Blender, rendering out 3d models.  This lets me pull lots of tricks that you can do with 3d modelling software, but there is a higher curve to learning 3d for many people.  I'm strange in that I found it easier to make models than draw even pixel art, much less higher resolution stuff.

Is it Illustrator CC? You might want to try Animate CC, also from Adobe. It used to be called Flash.

Other animation software includes Harmony, Moho, Spine, Clip Paint Studio, OpenToonz, Synfig.

The first one, Harmony, is used in several studios around the world. From all of those, I think Spine is the only one where you're supposed to import art and rig it, instead of having drawing tools already in the program.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement