I can solve graphics problems. Am I of use?

Started by
6 comments, last by L. Spiro 6 years ago

I spent a fair amount of time developing my ability to render graphics with OpenGL, eventually getting into shaders and loading geometry into vertex arrays, etc.  I've done bump mapping, specular maps, lighting, shadows (spotlight, directional, point), a couple versions of fog, and wrote a polygon and particle queue so I could just submit geometry from the cpu side then upload it all with one upload statement and render it with one render call.  I wrote a portal engine so that I could do mirrors and render a large randomly generated map.  On my future list are rippling water reflections, light shafts with shadows cutting through them, arrays of shadowmaps for shadowing a large area of outside terrain at various levels of detail, and deferred rendering to allow many lights, decals, light bloom, and the big one for me, ambient occlusion.  I have also rendered red-blue anaglyph to view with the glasses and side by side scenes for Google Cardboard.

I've written code that will automatically generate the shader code that I need, depending on the model composition, texture requirements and lights and shadowmaps and other options that I'm using for the render.  It saved me having to write and debug thousands of shaders.  Retooling the code to perform deferred rendering will be a chore, but it should be a healthy exercise.

I've thought through my head how to solve the future stuff, and I know I can do it, I just haven't.  Yet.

So I can solve graphics rendering problems.  I also coded a minimal UI framework and a networking framework to get other things working.  You can see my work in my signature.

The question I have is - am I of use to the game industry?

The Unity and Unreal 4 engines do most of this stuff out of the box.  But I've always been curious about how things work under the hood.  I like to see and feel the code that I write working.  So instead of learning those engines and making games, I solved the lower level graphics coding so I could see how things happen.  A company might want me for my ability to understand the graphics pipeline and how shaders work, and to write custom shaders for their specific needs, interfacing with the content generators to agree on what they need to provide to get the results.  But would that be a full time job?  I might be able to contribute to design discussions or the evolving product evaluation in an additive capacity, but I couldn't design a game from scratch.  I'm interested in AI and might be able to come up with an infrastructure for a game that other coders could fill in the blanks with, using the AI code they write for the behaviors and interactions of specific objects.

The main reason I haven't really probed the industry yet is because I'm not sure where I would fit in it.  What is my skill set good for?  Are there companies that would want someone like me, and what would I do there?  Or where should I go from here?

If anyone has any insights, I'd like to hear them.  Thanks!

The most moving games right now for me are silent narrative types with good presentation, like Inside, Little Nightmares, Shadow of the Colossus and The Last Guardian.

Youtube channel: kilroy987  My Best Work

Advertisement

This might be of interest to you :

https://www.gamedev.net/forums/topic/695942-is-graphics-programming-still-relevant-in-the-game-industry/

Thank you, Hodgman.

Graphics coders being 'in demand', per se, seems like it means that what you're needed for entirely depends on the place you work at.  So, I'll keep working at the craft.

There is also a lot of fringe stuff that isn't strictly games industry, where graphics experts are in high demand. WebGL and mobile AR is red hot right now, lots of startups and bigger companies starting to play in that space. And your traditional web or mobile devs don't tend to have a 3D graphics background...

Hard to tell what the longevity of the craze will be, but in the meantime It's pretty easy for a graphics expert to slot into those spaces.

Tristam MacDonald. Ex-BigTech Software Engineer. Future farmer. [https://trist.am]

On 4/12/2018 at 4:39 PM, Pygon said:

Graphics coders being 'in demand', per se, seems like it means that what you're needed for entirely depends on the place you work at.

I'm an AI programmer, but just one time I accidentally showed a tiny bit of beginner-level skill in graphics programming and suddenly I am moved full-time to graphics and can only get jobs in graphics etc.

This may sound like a joke or overstatement, but I got so sick of graphics programming when I left Japan that I only applied as an AI or gameplay programmer, and most of my replies from companies were, "Hi, we are really interested in you as a graphics programmer but it says here you want to do either gameplay or AI?  Is this correct?  ...okay thank you for your time."

I only found 2 companies willing to take me as not-a-graphics-programmer, and I secretly suspect the one I didn't join was planning to have me join for gameplay programming but then keep sneaking graphics tasks onto my plate.

And then after all that hassle I finally get hired back in America for yet another graphics job.  SIGH.  But this one is tolerable since it is not a typical kind of graphics job.

As far as I am concerned, it's the easiest thing in the world to get into graphics at game companies.  It is so in-demand that the problem is actually getting out of it.

But you should start the typical way we all do: Get into the company with a generic programming job and then specialize over time.  You want to know how the game engines work?  That accidental graphics program I made was my own game engine, meant for me to learn the exact same thing.  I mainly wanted to make a physics engine but I needed graphics to display my things bouncing around, and that little accident later caused me to specialize away from physics and AI, completely ruining my life.

But that what ruined my life would have sent you down the trail you wanted to go.  It's so easy.  Get a job as a regular programmer, start your own personal project in graphics:

• Show it to someone and if your company needs graphics programmers you will be moved.
  • If they don't, you have something to show to the next company that does.

It's so in-demand it is uniquely hard to give advice for it.  There are so many ways to get into graphics programming it is just ridiculous.  All of the above advice would work too.  Anything that has, "Make graphics," in it will likely work.

L. Spiro

I restore Nintendo 64 video-game OST’s into HD! https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCCtX_wedtZ5BoyQBXEhnVZw/playlists?view=1&sort=lad&flow=grid

Wow, that sounds kind of scary.  While I'm outside the industry, I see games I like to watch playthroughs for and I think about all the processes to get them running - graphics, AI, gameplay, object interaction, story... and I think that in some cases coders are able to dabble in the various areas, whatever the place needs.  But if getting into graphics pigeonholes you into graphics such that you cannot do anything else at all, I'm not sure that's a situation I'd want, especially if you're just moved there without any quality dialog about it at all.

44 minutes ago, Pygon said:

Wow, that sounds kind of scary.  While I'm outside the industry, I see games I like to watch playthroughs for and I think about all the processes to get them running - graphics, AI, gameplay, object interaction, story... and I think that in some cases coders are able to dabble in the various areas, whatever the place needs.  But if getting into graphics pigeonholes you into graphics such that you cannot do anything else at all, I'm not sure that's a situation I'd want, especially if you're just moved there without any quality dialog about it at all.

The amount of dialog is up to you.  I didn't think I was going to be stuck there so I moved without complaint.  You can avoid problems by communicating early (as is the case with literally everything but the "If You Communicate Early You Will Lose This Game" game).

And I didn't go out of my way to raise the good points (since they are somewhat implicit and obvious) but you obviously have job security in graphics.  I'd have more options if I were willing to go back into it.  I still get offers weekly for graphics programming.

It's in-demand.  That's what it is.  It comes with all the good points and all the bad points that being in-demand offers.  Should be perfectly suitable for someone who is actually interested in it—my complaints are that I simply do not like graphics programming, so you shouldn't worry too much about it.

L. Spiro

I restore Nintendo 64 video-game OST’s into HD! https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCCtX_wedtZ5BoyQBXEhnVZw/playlists?view=1&sort=lad&flow=grid

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement