Kids Coloring Book Mobile Games

Started by
9 comments, last by Scouting Ninja 5 years, 11 months ago

Hi all,

Does anyone here know if coloring book games are popular among little kids?

If yes, I have the following questions:

1. Do kids tend to color the same image over and over again?
  2. UI is supposed to be 'childish and crowded' or 'flat and peaceful'?
  3. Does 'kid songs' matter as in-game music? (In my current project, we have found that the audio is ignored by the adults)
  4. Anything you would like to add and I should consider?

Advertisement

In general my kids haven't played too much with the one coloring book app (on my phone) that happens to be part of a package of other games I have. The few times I've seen them play it I tend to hear complaints about it being too difficult to select the colors that they want. So I recommend focusing on keeping the UI easy to use rather than making it cute. They know that there's assorted pictures that they can color but they don't seem too interested. Some of that may be the UI again.

The game package happens to include a "find it" game where the image starts out uncolored and colorizes the objects that you find. They've have on occasion played this game a few times in succession.

The game package has a few games that have no music at all but sound effects are still used.

Personally, I'm highly cautious about my kids playing games with ads. Think carefully if you plan on adding them in. Banners take up valuable space you could be using for your UI and although I am concerned about my kids accidentally buying or just wanting things, I worry more about a video commercial's content being appropriate for them.

I seem to remember playing coloring games when I was a kid. If I remember right, the amount of time I had available to play anything was a factor. I enjoyed seeing the picture evolve as I filled in spaces but it would take quite awhile to work on the pictures. Too quick and it wasn't worth it. Too long and I'd run out of time. And if I knew I'd run out of time, I'd rather play something else rather than start. It was also highly frustrating when a floodfill would find some little space to get out of and fill an area I didn't want it to.

I myself tried some kind of fractal coloring app maybe a year ago or so. I didn't play it long I think partly due to UI frustrations and that floodfill problem again.

@kseh 

Thank you for your participation. As far as I can see, you expect the kids play alone. A complicated design would be resolved by the parents if they play together. This means that ads should target the kids? I have downloaded and tested some of the coloring books for kids. Their ads target the adults actually. This puts me in a doubt :S They seem they expect parents to play with their kids. 

If I feel like I have to supervise my kids while they play a game, well that doesn't mean I won't do it but it's a sure thing the kids will be playing the game less. I just don't always have time to watch them carefully. I am of course just one parent and I make decisions I think are best for my kids. I'm aware what I do doesn't work for everybody. Proper demographic research will serve you better than just one or two opinions.

Maybe some research is needed on how these ads are presented and what you can do. Like, are the ads that you're seeing because it's your device? Can you tune what type of ads are shown?

Personally, I cant think of a particular way off the top of my head that I would approach monetization of a coloring book app.

7 minutes ago, kseh said:

If I feel like I have to supervise my kids while they play a game, well that doesn't mean I won't do it but it's a sure thing the kids will be playing the game less

I have to second this. The whole point of why parents load these games on there phone is to entertain the kids while the parent is talking on the phone or doing the laundry. It has to be so easy and simple that the kid doesn't need a guide. Also kids stop coloring in at a very young age.

Maybe the game could have a easy mode, where a person touches a blank zone then picks from a wheel of colors and it fills that zone instantly. That way even very young kids could play easily.

"Kids Coloring Book Mobile Games"

As the toppic suggest....

Hi, 

Referring to the topic queations, here what i think: 

1. When i was a kid, i tend to see various of things at my colouring book, page 1 to end, then start choose which one i want to work on at that time. To return on the same image again, yes could be(to replay with other color style), but after exploring another images. 

2. Childish style, it likely attract kid's vision. Flat & peaceful can be attractive too, but with additional caption or background.

3. I prefer fun rhythm musics, that include childish sound effect, not too slow, not too fast. 

4. Maybe, for rewards, i vote the use of stars, badge, or title using monster/hero figure.

That all my childish mind, hehe..

My daughters (three and five years old) both have colouring apps on their tablets.

I specifically looked for an app that didn't contain ads, as that was a deal breaker for me; in addition to the risk of accidental purchase or following some link and getting lost, I couldn't be sure about the content of the app. I wanted something where I could pay a small amount up front with no ads or iap, and I didn't want an ongoing subscription just for a little app to distract my kids.

They like to choose and work on different pictures, but do also sometimes re-colour ones they like.

It's very important that the app be simple and intuitive. 5yo can figure out more complex things within limits, but 3yo gets confused and either gets upset or rage quits if anything is non-trivial.  You definitely don't want a "busy" UI. As described above, I usually let them play these when I need to make a phonecall or do some work around the house, so they need to be able to play by themselves.  It needs to be simple to undo mistakes.

3yo is still developing hand eye coordination, so bigger and fewer buttons are better.

I muted the music, so I can't give advice on what would be most suitable other than that you should provide an option to turn it off.

- Jason Astle-Adams

Guys,

Thank you so much for your support. I am very glad that you share your humble comments. Most of the people mentioned that their kids will probably play this game while they are making a phone call or doing laundry. This sounds strange to me because I see kids play even violent games without a parental control for hours. They do not care about what and how long the kids play. Is this something you are very strict about? 

15 hours ago, Dijsktras said:

This sounds strange to me because I see kids play even violent games without a parental control for hours.

I think all parents who take the time to download a coloring game for there child, instead of just setting it to what ever game they play them-self is playing, is concerned about how much games and what games the child plays.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement