Need feedback on environment design

Started by
9 comments, last by Gezu 6 years ago

Hi,

I'm creating 3D environment for our side-scroller platformer game Warriorb. I use Blender for creating props and UE4 as game engine. My aim is to create different looking and feeling area types while keeping the same art style. I go for something between stylized and realistic. I don't use much detail because I don't have much time for each area. I've attached some examples. If you have any tip on how to improve my scenes I would be glad to hear it!

AfterGate.jpg

Arcade.jpg

Sewer.jpg

PortalCave2.jpg

Workshop.jpg

ForlornForest2.jpg

Advertisement

Maybe it does not have much to do with what you ask for feedback, but I would like to know what the video game is about. to more or less acclimate and see if I can help you in something, besides that of giving feeling to the places, I think, that is more for the music, if it is true that the music has to rely on a nice visual section because it is there where everything is born but for that reason to be able to help you or give my opinion on how to improve or change something in the environments, which are already quite magnificent and special, maybe I can help something.

Gezu, I think the scenes all look quite nice.

-- Tom Sloper -- sloperama.com

First pic

Moonlight background

Moonlight reflection from water under bridge

More orange natural lights in the houses

I need to build a team for a new Video Game.

dont be afraid to contact or ask, maybe i need exatcly you.

discord:

Joerg Federmann Composing

mail:

yorkfedermann@gmail.com

I must say your graphics look very good! I cannot offer anything in terms of changing visuals because certain looks are there depending the mood you're trying to portray to the end user. Great job! :) 

Programmer and 3D Artist

11 hours ago, NicolasCastrov said:

Maybe it does not have much to do with what you ask for feedback, but I would like to know what the video game is about. to more or less acclimate and see if I can help you in something, besides that of giving feeling to the places, I think, that is more for the music, if it is true that the music has to rely on a nice visual section because it is there where everything is born but for that reason to be able to help you or give my opinion on how to improve or change something in the environments, which are already quite magnificent and special, maybe I can help something.

Well, ok. Here is a really short summary: The protagonist is a spirit trapped inside a ball body. To regain his former self he needs to help a Wizard to get his lost daughter back. The story starts with comic/humorous elements which are turning into ironic and serious as the player advance and finds out the true story of the Wizard and the World which is about to end, and its inhabitants slowly loosing their sanity. The music mostly uses sad tones.

well then they go from light tones to dark, it's like a half Victorian with medieval aspect. I think it's like that or I understood it. Correct me if I'm sick. I feel that if they are very well achieved environments, in addition to having a very good lighting. I repeat I am not an expert or anything. but if we are going to help a magician in our adventure in the videogame. I think a little more of magical aspects are missing. for example the environments from 2 to 4 I feel that they are perfect and go very well with the style that I think they want for the game. but to the others I feel that something magical is missing, something striking that awakens feels sensation of magic. So far that, and I would like to see the progress and how they go with the game. luck.

2 hours ago, NicolasCastrov said:

well then they go from light tones to dark, it's like a half Victorian with medieval aspect. I think it's like that or I understood it. Correct me if I'm sick. I feel that if they are very well achieved environments, in addition to having a very good lighting. I repeat I am not an expert or anything. but if we are going to help a magician in our adventure in the videogame. I think a little more of magical aspects are missing. for example the environments from 2 to 4 I feel that they are perfect and go very well with the style that I think they want for the game. but to the others I feel that something magical is missing, something striking that awakens feels sensation of magic. So far that, and I would like to see the progress and how they go with the game. luck.

Thank you! Btw you can see how the game goes on here or on twitter.

On 18.4.2018 at 5:51 PM, Gezu said:

My aim is to create different looking and feeling area types while keeping the same art style.

The first (a bit) and the last image (a lot) look different than the others, mainly because they lack shadows.

The first image could be fixed simply with more contrast (making dark regions darker).

The last image could be fixed with shadows for the trees, coming from the sun in the back ground.

Also first and last image seem to have no vignette effect, but the other 3 do.

But i do not say i like the 3 middle images more, here i would like to see more color bleeding instead just darkening. (You could achieve this by using more saturated / brighter colors for GI baking or in general, but then tone the image down to the desired dark appeal with post processing like tone mapping.)

The bridge in the first image looks too repetive to me - a second and different arc element would be nice for some variation. 

In general all looks good, but the video on your web page looks much better than the small screenshots in this post. This could indicate that you focus too much on high frequency details, and too less on low frequency overall variation / composition. If you think i'm right, this is something you can not fix quickly, more something to keep in mind for future work. Scaling down images is a good trick to detect this, and this just happened unintended because the forum displays small images.

Good work :)

Wow thank you JoeJ! You wrote a lot of good ideas I can now think about and try. I was hoping for an answer like this. :D

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement