Artist(s) Needed for Tabletop RPG Development

Started by
10 comments, last by Gezu 5 years, 11 months ago

DISCLAIMER: If this is not the forum for this, I apologize. I am new to the site and am just beginning to feel my way around.

Attention all Artists -- I am in need of your assistance.

First and Foremost: My name is Alex, and I and my team are 3 years in developing a new tabletop RPG. We are at the point where we need to begin developing art for the game - playable races, monsters, filler art (for manuals and what-not). For this project we already have a Project Lead, writers, editors, game mechanic development team, and alpha testers.  There's a bunch of PROS and CONS for this project.

Up front, here are some CONS:

1. You'll sign an NDA.
2. In said NDA, you will be signing away all your rights to any image, sketch, drawing, or art piece of any type for the project.
3. There is a certain level of output that will be expected to meet our target deadlines, so you *will* be busy.
4. You will not be paid for any art submitted.
5. There is no promise of any future payment.

Here are some PROS:

1. You get to be involved in the development of a game! From scratch!
2. While you will be forfeiting all rights to anything you submitted, I fully expect each piece to be signed so you can claim credit for it.
3. *IF* ... and this is a huge IF - If this project does well and continues and there are future revenues, there is a possibility, however slight, that full time artists will need to be employed. (So yes, the goal is to publish our endeavor, so yes, technically, if you were involved, that would make you a published artist.)
4. You get to be involved in the development of a game! From scratch! ... oh, wait, I already said that. But it bears repeating.

Please be aware that if you're an established artist who is already gainfully employed for your artistry skills, then this project may not be for you. However, if you are just entering the industry, or are an amateur just looking to get their name out there on published material, then this might be the right project for you.

If you are interested, have the time, and the capability, send a submission for evaluation to komgameproject@gmail.com . Once I have the artist team in place I will update this thread.

If you have any questions, you can send them to the same email.

Thank you for your time, consideration, and attention.

- Knights of Magic Project Team

Advertisement

Hobby Project Classifieds is the correct forum for this - moving for you. :)

Expecting strict deadlines, an NDA, and full rights to the work with no pay or chance of pay is likely to be very unpopular.  Most people are either running a proper business, with contracts and all that and paying their workers, or are a hobby project that is less strict with things like deadlines, less restrictive contracts, etc. and at least offer revenue share or future payment if the project is successful.

What you're asking is essentially that people treat this as a professional job, but without even the chance of future pay.

I would urge you to reconsider if you're hoping to be commercially successful, but that is of course up to you.

Good luck! :)

- Jason Astle-Adams

Is it a hard sell? Yeah.

Is it for everyone? No. And I thought OP was fairly clear with that.

And we're not asking for someone to sign on to do anything that the rest of the team isn't already doing - working to meet deadlines, providing our own time and resources until such time as proper capital can be raised begin paying folks. But you have to get to a certain point in development in order to have funds to pay people. We're not there yet, but we're getting close.

4 minutes ago, Mistindantacles said:

Is it a hard sell? Yeah.

And we're not asking for someone to sign on to do anything that the rest of the team isn't already doing - working to meet deadlines, providing our own time and resources until such time as proper capital can be raised begin paying folks. But you have to get to a certain point in development in order to have funds to pay people. We're not there yet, but we're getting close.

The main issue I'm seeing with this is that anyone who contributes to the success of the project has zero ability to become compensated unless the 'shot caller' deems it so because you're signing over 100% of your rights. If I came on board and created 40% of the visual concepts, then we had a falling out for whatever reason, you would still be using "my" work (signed over to you) to push production, and eventually aim for commercial release. If the Table Top Game sold and made hundreds of the thousands of dollars, I wouldn't see a dime.

Is there a reason you're not having a contract in place that has revenue sharing based on a percentage system from net profits? This would at least make it more attractive.

Programmer and 3D Artist

2 hours ago, Mistindantacles said:

That is why no one is down voting you. Similar post you will see has lots of down votes; while yours has none.

But even you should realize that you are doing your game no favors by placing these restrictions. Your post reads like this:

17 hours ago, Mistindantacles said:

Up front, here are some CONS:

"I want someone to give me $40 000 a month, for free with no conditions, if you don't constantly pay every month you won't get your name on the credits. this is for a undisclosed amount of time, you are not allowed to tell anyone about it."

17 hours ago, Mistindantacles said:

Here are some PROS:

"1.) The time you could be spending making your own game, will be ours. 2.) We will maybe put your name on the credit list of our game that no one has ever heard of, maybe. 3.) If our game that you helped make becomes popular, we will allow you to work for some of that profit you helped us earn. 4.) Again, the time you had to work on improving your art or making your own games, will be spend on our game."

I am a artist with 12 years of experience (8 years in game development), the above is what your post read like to me.

You where upfront and that is good, but you are only looking at it from your own perspective. Re-read your post like it is someone asking you to design a game for them, then consider if you would be willing to do it.

To be clear, I am not saying you did something wrong. I just want you to see it from a artist perspective. :)

What's with all these sign an NDA and don't get paid posts? Do people seriously believe this is fair treatment of others' time?

I also have people signing NDA's and Contracts on my project.(Just a link to the unfinished Kickstarter page).

But signing the NDA and the Contract doesn't mean "you will be signing away all your rights to any image, sketch, drawing, or art piece of any type for the project".

People don't trust you enough to work for you in that case. If someone leaves my project, I can't use any of their work. It's still their right if I don't pay them what I promised.

And on top of it, you don't pay anything for their work. And you don't promise any payment in the future even if the game is sold. That's a bit too harsh.

Just some feedback and things to think about. Time is money, even when you're at an indie stage. We all want to make it :)

I'd like to address some points and concerns brought by the community:

"Is there a reason you're not having a contract in place that has revenue sharing based on a percentage system from net profits? "

Everyone on the project has already signed an NDA with the same expectations as has been presented here. Since everyone else on the project has already signed the same NDA, what justification is there to make an exception for an artist when everyone else has their own skills that they bring to project - writer, editor, coder?

"We will maybe put your name on the credit list of our game that no one has ever heard of, maybe. "

This is a misrepresentation of what was written. I clearly stated that it is the expectation that every piece of artwork be signed by the artist so they can claim credit. 

"To be clear, I am not saying you did something wrong. I just want you to see it from a artist perspective. "

Again, Same NDA on the project for everyone involved. Why should payment  be expected be explicitly given for artwork when everyone else on the project will be putting in just as much with no such expectation? There's no guarantee that it'll even make money. We're doing our best to put forth the possible product, but even that isn't a guarantee.

"What's with all these sign an NDA and don't get paid posts?"

To be fair, I made one post and it was moved. If you are referring to other projects, I have no control over that. 

"Do people seriously believe this is fair treatment of others' time?"

Actually, in a start-up, it's common practice. And that's what this is - a start-up. Not a lot of initial capital to pay for services, but the implicit expectation that contributors who are part of the team and gel well will continue to be part of the team.

"But signing the NDA and the Contract doesn't mean "you will be signing away all your rights to any image, sketch, drawing, or art piece of any type for the project". "

You're right. It's not. And it's not written as such. An NDA con contain such clauses, and this one does.

One final note about the NDA and rights to work submitted: The NDA uses the same language as contracts for professional artists, like photographers, who submit artwork for a particular event, publication,, or similar such item. It is neither an unheard of nor uncommon practice.

I mentioned before - it's a hard sell. Is there value in it? I believe there is. The Project Team believes there is. We're looking for someone, an artist, who sees that same value and wants to contribute on an equal level as everyone else.

6 hours ago, Nafei said:

But signing the NDA and the Contract doesn't mean "you will be signing away all your rights to any image, sketch, drawing, or art piece of any type for the project".

The NDA isn't really the problem unless you're looking to publicly claim credit prior to release. I also have no issues with NDAs, they're fairly standard.

I wouldn't say the contract doesn't mean you will not be signing over your rights because it will (This needs to be a different contract than the NDA though). The OP already stated all IP will be turned over, so this would need to be agreed upon in a formal and legally binding way such as a written contract, otherwise how does this company prove they were given the rights?

4 hours ago, Mistindantacles said:

"Is there a reason you're not having a contract in place that has revenue sharing based on a percentage system from net profits? "

Everyone on the project has already signed an NDA with the same expectations as has been presented here. Since everyone else on the project has already signed the same NDA, what justification is there to make an exception for an artist when everyone else has their own skills that they bring to project - writer, editor, coder?

The NDA is only a Non-disclosure Agreement, it has nothing to do with payment terms. We're only talking about Artists because your topic suggests you're only looking for an artist, why would we reference writers, coders, and editors? It's up to you to setup compensation terms based on whatever metrics you deem valid.

"We will maybe put your name on the credit list of our game that no one has ever heard of, maybe. "

This is a misrepresentation of what was written. I clearly stated that it is the expectation that every piece of artwork be signed by the artist so they can claim credit. 

Unless there is a clause in the NDA allowing it, or the NDA is no longer in effect the artist wouldn't be able to showcase their work without breaching your agreement. You also have to factor in that they don't even own the work you're giving credit for. Have you provided them in writing an agreement that gives them limited rights to the IP for credit purposes?

"To be clear, I am not saying you did something wrong. I just want you to see it from a artist perspective. "

Again, Same NDA on the project for everyone involved. Why should payment  be expected be explicitly given for artwork when everyone else on the project will be putting in just as much with no such expectation? There's no guarantee that it'll even make money. We're doing our best to put forth the possible product, but even that isn't a guarantee.

Again, we're only talking about Artists because you're looking for one. We're not talking about other roles, it's not applicable to this discussion.

"Do people seriously believe this is fair treatment of others' time?"

Actually, in a start-up, it's common practice. And that's what this is - a start-up. Not a lot of initial capital to pay for services, but the implicit expectation that contributors who are part of the team and gel well will continue to be part of the team.

No, this model isn't common in start ups. Most start ups will have an agreement in place either written or verbally that all parties involved have a % of ownership in the business, not that only the select few have a %, and the rest work for free while handing over all rights.

You've essentially stated that you're looking for artists that will work within deadlines, hand over all IP rights for works created, and will not be guaranteed any payment. Now what would stop you from dismissing everyone off the team prior to commercial release as you own the IP? The artist has zero recourse, and zero interest in the company they're helping you grow. I don't mean to be harsh, but you're not thinking about the Artist. There is too much risk with little reward, and they have to sacrifice time which is more valuable than money for nothing.

"But signing the NDA and the Contract doesn't mean "you will be signing away all your rights to any image, sketch, drawing, or art piece of any type for the project". "

You're right. It's not. And it's not written as such. An NDA con contain such clauses, and this one does.

You shouldn't be mixing IP Rights and Payment agreements within a NDA directly. I would suggest you seek legal counsel regarding proper contracts in business.

Programmer and 3D Artist

5 hours ago, Mistindantacles said:

On 5/2/2018 at 1:07 AM, Mistindantacles said:

you will be signing away all your rights to any image, sketch, drawing, or art piece of any type for the project.

You know what that means, right? It means you take all the rights the artist has, you have no obligation to give the artist credit. So yes, it's a big maybe because there is no legal obligation.

Actually, in a start-up, it's common practice. And that's what this is - a start-up.

No it isn't, your contract is too one-sided.

Have you ever heard of a Unconscionability contract? A contract where you take all the rights of an artist, don't pay them. then place them under a NDA so they can't tell anyone IS too one-sided.

Now lets say the game makes money, the artist takes you to court claiming the contract is unfair and then claims there art is fundamental to your game's success; you could end up having to pay much more in compensation than a normal artist would charge. Of course any one on your team could also do this.

Your contract is the equivalent of shooting yourself in the foot with greed.

Since everyone else on the project has already signed the same NDA, what justification is there to make an exception for an artist when everyone else has their own skills that they bring to project - writer, editor, coder?

Because you aren't only competing against other posts like your own. The artist has no reason to join a game, they could make there art for them self; this way they get all the credit, have something for a portfolio and can sell there own work for money.

Working in a small game that requires full rights and has this many demands, is less valuable than the artist working for them self.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement