How to make a retro game today ?

Started by
7 comments, last by 8Observer8 5 years, 11 months ago

I want to make a retro game like babysistter bloodbath but i dont know where to start. When i search for engines to make something similar i dont find, i even have tried half life 1 engine.
 Thanks

Babysistter bloodbath: https://puppetcombo.itch.io/babysitter-bloodbath

Imagem relacionada

Imagem relacionada

Advertisement

What languages do you know, and APIs? What is your current level? Have you made any games prior that are 2D and/or 3D?

Programmer and 3D Artist

57 minutes ago, Rutin said:

What languages do you know, and APIs? What is your current level? Have you made any games prior that are 2D and/or 3D?

No, i'm starting in this path, and i have knowledge in C++

23 minutes ago, Ximira . com e . BR ! said:

No, i'm starting in this path, and i have knowledge in C++

If you're starting with Game Development I would strongly suggest you make a few basic 2D games (Pong, Pac-Man, Tetris), then move into 3D with very simple stuff such as a 3D maze game before starting on something like Babysitter Bloodbath.

Even if you're well versed in general programming, game programming is another beast.

For 2D game development I would suggest either SFML or SDL2. These two libraries will provide you with everything you need to get started. You'll need to understand how a game loop works, and you will also need to research time steps.

Once you've passed the 2D stage you have a few options. You can remain using SFML or SDL2, then add openGL to the mix for 3D or you can seek out a 3D engine like Unreal.

Another option is to pick up C# and Unity and jump right into 3D. C# isn't hard to grasp if you're already intermediate in C++.

Programmer and 3D Artist

If you love C++ and hate C# (or don't want to study another language) you can choose Godot game engine with programming in C++. It is not as heavy as Unreal or CryEngine. I think these engines are overkill for retro games. I didn't try Godot I study Unity.

Note that there's no reason you couldn't take Unreal or CryEngine or Unity and make a retro looking game.  Considering the rendering system in those engine, it might not actually run on retro hardware, but you can easily tailor the models/textures/gameplay to have that retro feel.

1 minute ago, xycsoscyx said:

Note that there's no reason you couldn't take Unreal or CryEngine or Unity and make a retro looking game.  Considering the rendering system in those engine, it might not actually run on retro hardware, but you can easily tailor the models/textures/gameplay to have that retro feel.

+1

This is normally how you would make a retro game running on modern hardware. Just imitate the graphic, sound, and control style from that period. Essentially the bulk of the system requirement would just come from Unreal Engine's requirements as the game would be very low poly with low texture resolution.

I don't think the goal is to run it on retro hardware anyhow.

Programmer and 3D Artist

-- deleted --

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement