Tired of doing art

Started by
5 comments, last by Phanoo 5 years, 11 months ago

I'm terrible at art, I just want to code but noone wants to help me do the art :( I need animations, models, etc. This is the best I could do...

I'm getting very, very tired. I tried to make it as simple as possible, and its still terrabad. What should I do...

Advertisement

Use what you have. Even if you do find a artist, it will be slow going with only one. The best to do is to keep going with this style.

Art has only one rule, that the person looking at it can understand what you want them to understand. Looking at the video I see some kind of green goblin.

Don't aim too high with art. Even AAA artist don't make AAA art for there own games; it is just too time consuming. Simpler art is easy to work with and can give your game it's own style.

Cyanide And Happiness is a good example of how a simple style can evolve into it's own thing.

@Scouting Ninja 100% agree. :) 

When I started doing art I learned by emulating the styles I liked. It takes a lot of work to create well detailed art, but you have to keep in mind that like programming it takes time to get better and better. The art I did years ago is nothing like what I do now, and I'm far from being at the level I want to be. You gotta practice, practice, and practice. Some people are more naturally attuned to this skill, others have to work harder to get there, but in the end if it's something you really want you'll do it with enough time.

I should also mention that if you're able to make the type of art you want and code, that puts you in a very good spot! There are many programmers out there that cannot draw, they'll use programmer art:

Taken from Newgrounds: https://evil-dog.newgrounds.com/news/post/908904

393421_141307097452_ProgrammerArtVsRealArt.jpg

Give it time, you'll get there. :) You cannot expect grand results in the first year. Make whatever you can now, and you can always go back and replace it later. :) 

Programmer and 3D Artist

Actually its green and its eyes are red so that I can swap out those colors with a shader with skin and eye color that the player chooses..

23 minutes ago, Merlinus said:

Actually its green and its eyes are red so that I can swap out those colors with a shader with skin and eye color that the player chooses..

This is fantastic actually. Look up "supper flat" and "minimalist" art styles. Both these styles work great with self customization and player expression.

As a programmer you can make-up for the art by making things more customisable. Use code where art fails.

This looks like Pepe the frog in 3D heh, well done ! 

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement