Idea: Anime-inspired hero shooter with more in-depth mechanics

Started by
2 comments, last by Scouting Ninja 5 years, 11 months ago

I've played a lot of Overwatch and it's given me inspiration for my own hero shooter I hope to make in the future. The concept started with Overwatch as a baseline, but has diverted as I put more thought into it. I'll post more in-depth stuff about individual characters later, but here's the basic gist of the overall design.

Style

As mentioned, the game is anime-inspired. A major point of inspiration was BlazBlue, with its highly colorful and stylized art style, detailed designs, and distinctive characters models across the board. I've never seen something in an anime style done in an FPS before. I assume that's because FPS games aren't as popular in Japan and the anime style isn't as popular with western developers. Well, I'm looking to bridge the gap so to speak.

Gameplay

All the style in the world doesn't matter if the gameplay is bad, or overly derivative. As I said, the game started based off of Overwatch but my idea has several notable changes to the formula. Specifically, it includes mechanics inspired by fighting games. What I mean by that there are two meters one must manage, and it's important to do so. They are:

• Excel - The gauge that builds up to your Ultimate. Like Overwatch, this is a limit break that does something beneficial to the team (either a powerful attack or a useful tool). However, there are certain point in the meter where one can combine this with a regular ability to enhance it. Like for example, spending some of the Excel meter to increase the damage of an attack-based ability, or increase the speed/duration of a movement-based ability.
  • X-Factor - This is a super mode that increases damage and auto-regenerates health once built up to. The catch is that when used, it can never be used again for the duration of the match, which makes timing it just right important.

Besides that, the game as mentioned is a hero shooter. There's a wide variety of different characters, each with a distinct style of gameplay, personality and backstory. All characters are made to be unique, as a hero shooter should.

Other Details

While I won't go into details about the characters and world just yet, I'll give you some info to give you an idea. The game takes place in a constructed world where science and magic exists in equal measure, and is practically a "fantasy kitchen sink" in this regard. The ideas I've came up with so far includes normal humans, two different vampires, a cat girl, robot girls, a robot powered by magic, a cyborg, a lizardman, a panda martial arts master, a magical girl accompanied by a fey, a ninja, a wizard, an undead cowboy, and an elf just for starters.

I want each character to be diverse. Overwatch has the help of different nationalities, but since it's harder to get an exact equivalent here, I diversified through character types.

----

So, what do you guys think?

Advertisement

Does anyone have any feedback to this idea?

Hi, first welcome to the forum and welcome to game development in general. This is a forum, many of us are working or busy making games so it can take a bit of time to respond; often as much as 24 hours.

So first the basics that anyone will tell you. Overwatch is a AAA game. AAA games are made by 100-700 professionals and it takes them 2-3 years to do it; Making a game of that scale is impossible without billions of dollars. Aim much-much lower.

If you are brand new to making games it's going to take a few years before you can make a complex game. So keep things simple. It's also good to start with a game like PacMan or Block Breaker just to catch up with the basics.

A developer is a person who has accepted this fate.

On 5/15/2018 at 9:01 AM, TRock said:

As mentioned, the game is anime-inspired. A major point of inspiration was BlazBlue... I've never seen something in an anime style done in an FPS before.

There is a very obvious reason it hasn't been done. BlazeBlue is 2D and FPS games are 3D. 3D anime models have improved but the average 3D modeler won't be able to make top quality 3D anime models.

anime_character.jpg

preview.jpg

The above images shows more or less the average quality.Higher quality does exist:

Image result for 3D anime models

But these are made by artist with 3-4 years 3D modeling experience and 2-4 years digital painting/ drawing experience(5-8 Years total). In other words professionals who charge $40 000 - $70 000 a month for there skill.

For that price you can get one of these AAA models made, although not animated :) :

AAA-games.jpg

So most AAA games choose the higher quality 3D models over the lower quality Anime models. That is why you don't see that many anime styled games.

Japan does have more anime styled games because for them it is a valid market and they have a huge amount of artist who grew up wanting to make anime art; so there is more talent for cheaper.

My advice on the art is go for a lower quality anime model and make up for it with the correct shaders. Like this:

unrendered1.jpg

Shaders make even simpler models look better and these shaders can be found online for free as they are easy to make. With some playing around you can get a good style going:

eIaqL.jpg

A other trick would be to use 2D art in a 3D game. Time of eternity did this and to very good effect:

Time-and-Eternity-3.jpg

The result was good looking Anime characters and a 3D game.

On 5/15/2018 at 9:01 AM, TRock said:

Gameplay

All the style in the world doesn't matter if the gameplay is bad...Besides that, the game as mentioned is a hero shooter. There's a wide variety of different characters.

Face that you won't have a Wide Variety. It takes too many people and too much time. Focus on making small high quality games.

A simple trail: Write down the names of your Characters, items, skills and abilities. Write down some rough estimates of how they work and what there stats is.

Once you have done this you will often find it takes a long time just to write down ideas; coding them and making them takes much longer.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement