• Advertisement
ethancodes

Genesis/SNES graphics style

I'm in somewhat unfamiliar territory here, but I'm designing a game that I want to look like the old Sega Genesis and SNES games. Think Earthworm Jim, Vectorman, Comix Zone, or Toe Jam and Earl. While these all have various art styles, they still have that kind of Sega/SNES feel to them in imagery and animation. How would you go about getting that? Is it just simply how the art and animations are created? Or do you actually need to program something, maybe modify the engine, to get this type of behavior? Sorry if this is a dumb or poorly worded question. Graphics are something I have very little experience in. Also, if it matters, I would like it to be a 2.5D game, which is different than the games I listed I believe. I'm not sure if that would effect how to get to the end result or not.

Advertisement

The 16-bit style was originally a result of the hardware limitations. For example, the SNES had a maximum of 256 unique colors on screen at the same time, no alpha blending, limited number of simultaneous sprites, limited sprite size and a relatively small resolution.

Pixel art can be made in any 2D drawing application. Animations will consist of different frames.

There are a lot of tutorials for pixel art you can learn from such as:

http://makegames.tumblr.com/post/42648699708/pixel-art-tutorial

https://www.hongkiat.com/blog/pixel-art-tutorials/

https://lospec.com/pixel-art-tutorials

You can use any free 2d art program, or Photoshop / Gimp (free alternative).

There is also this program: https://www.piskelapp.com/

A long time ago I used GraphicsGale for animations: https://graphicsgale.com/us/

If you're looking at making 2.5D Art, you have two options, 3D modeling and texturing then render it out, or if you're good enough you can pixel art it. I personally use the 3D route.

Is that kind of stuff actually pixel art though? When I do a Google search for pixel art, I tend to get results that are a lot more blocky and simplistic looking, like Shovel Knight for example. I don't feel like any of them look like games like Earthworm Jim for example. But maybe it's just a different type or level of pixel art? And isn't pixel art where you place every single pixel individually, or are there techniques to speed up the process? 

1 hour ago, ethancodes said:

Is that kind of stuff actually pixel art though? When I do a Google search for pixel art, I tend to get results that are a lot more blocky and simplistic looking, like Shovel Knight for example. I don't feel like any of them look like games like Earthworm Jim for example. But maybe it's just a different type or level of pixel art? And isn't pixel art where you place every single pixel individually, or are there techniques to speed up the process? 

Did you check the links I posted? What are you seeing that doesn't fall under pixel art? If you don't want to use a "line tool" then do it pixel by pixel.

The graphics you're seeing in Earthworm Jim is just a style.

Pixel art is a form of digital art, created through the use of software, where images are edited on the pixel level (This doesn't mean 1 pixel by 1 pixel art a time, many artists use line tools as well)

This is all pixel art:

image.png.1b40a5366146048c8606a2ec5c7cb456.png

image.png.b1926bcec1b68c0dbc54ce2061f856d1.png

image.png.9d52ce7f42c38f6bd96c8745d6476e90.png

image.png.2106e77fb4b7ebaeb4043a6fa76f14d8.png

Both Shovel Knight and Earthworm Jim are pixel art, they're just different styles.

No I did not look at the links yet, but I will now. Sorry, I wasn't trying to doubt you, I guess I'm just surprised at how wide a range pixel art styles can be. I'll check out the links for more info! Thanks!

3 minutes ago, ethancodes said:

No I did not look at the links yet, but I will now. Sorry, I wasn't trying to doubt you, I guess I'm just surprised at how wide a range pixel art styles can be. I'll check out the links for more info! Thanks!

Yes, there is a very wide selection of styles in pixel art. You can find very simple art like in NES:

image.png.19b99612cdcb830c8c23805d01655017.png

Then you can find a different style, still using the limitations during the NES time:

image.png.5a7b25534c505609f485d1f4d41370ef.png

Now you can find other pixel art with even more detail:

image.png.dfca4c8277de70e04d730eae654b71c6.png

image.png.c898cda3940ff3c5332515fd92d252f2.png

image.png.cd9b7ef245c9389d749faf585cb6bb05.png

It's up to you as the artist to define your style and how far you're willing to go to achieve the desired results.