Work Experence for Game Development?

Started by
4 comments, last by Kylotan 5 years, 11 months ago

Does anyone a list of companies that offer work experience for a year 12 wanting to get into video game development?

In the U.K, and in London if possible.

NOMarfo

Advertisement

Nana, just trying to understand what you're asking. You're asking for a list of companies that hires twelve-year-olds? If that's what you're saying, you can forget about getting a list - nobody has a list like that. Maybe you can find a list of companies within bicycling distance of your home at gamedevmap.com

Once you have identified local game companies, you can try asking for a tour or an informational interview. If they're very nice, maybe they'll let you hang around, but I'm pretty sure they cannot give you "work experience" at the tender age of 12.

EDIT EDIT EDIT: Does "a year 12" mean an 18-year-old? If so, then it's much much less unlikely. But it's still very low chances to get actual work experience, with no degree and no portfolio and no resume. I still say you need to identify companies within daily commuting distance of your home, and you should still start by asking for a tour or an informational interview. Also, start making games on your own, if you haven't already started. /EDIT

-- Tom Sloper -- sloperama.com

8 hours ago, Tom Sloper said:

Nana, just trying to understand what you're asking. You're asking for a list of companies that hires twelve-year-olds? If that's what you're saying, you can forget about getting a list - nobody has a list like that. Maybe you can find a list of companies within bicycling distance of your home at gamedevmap.com

Once you have identified local game companies, you can try asking for a tour or an informational interview. If they're very nice, maybe they'll let you hang around, but I'm pretty sure they cannot give you "work experience" at the tender age of 12.

EDIT EDIT EDIT: Does "a year 12" mean an 18-year-old? If so, then it's much much less unlikely. But it's still very low chances to get actual work experience, with no degree and no portfolio and no resume. I still say you need to identify companies within daily commuting distance of your home, and you should still start by asking for a tour or an informational interview. Also, start making games on your own, if you haven't already started. /EDIT

Year 12 means 16-year old or 17-year old in the UK. 

NOMarfo

OK, sorry for my poor understanding of English English. Hope the answer I gave is helpful.

-- Tom Sloper -- sloperama.com

I don't think there's any centralised list of gamedevs offering placements/work experience/sandwich years because they would all just get inundated.The best I can suggest is just to go through the companies on this map: https://gamesmap.uk/#/map

Check their websites, and contact them directly if necessary. Make it clear how long you'd want to be there (1 or 2 weeks is standard for 16 year olds, I think?), whether you're focusing on one discipline (code/art/design/etc) or the whole thing, and if possible include a link to a simple portfolio of your existing work so they can tell you're serious about game development. Good luck!

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement